Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
13,995!? US....in Oz that'll end up being about 20-23 k the Yam s -10 is about 20,Stelvio 25 BMW GS 29...
Give them a few years and they'll be some heavy discounts...as always happens with Guzzi/Aprilia here.
I do like it and hope Piaggio are thinking ahead with a KTM like dirty version as well as a little brother 750/800.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841017
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
13,995!? US....in Oz that'll end up being about 20-23 k the Yam s -10 is about 20,Stelvio 25 BMW GS 29...
Give them a few years and they'll be some heavy discounts...as always happens with Guzzi/Aprilia here.
I do like it and hope Piaggio are thinking ahead with a KTM like dirty version as well as a little brother 750/800.
I'm just guessing 'bout that, but let's start a rumor!

i could be wrong!

Pampero screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 06:05 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,575
Another sit-up-and-beg bike for old people, to compete with that other misguided Mis-Adventure bike, the Ducati Mono-Strada coffee-shop cruiser.
In reality this Aprilia will be horrible (and vulnerable) on anything but the most manicured dirt roads - just like the Ducati.
The original Caponord doesn't have a great reputation, which is a pity because if they persevere, owners can do the job the factory didn't, and finish the bike properly. Then it becomes a fast, good-handling, reliable, comfortable bike that IS capable of tackling at least rough dirt roads - and if you're pretty competent, fire trails too.
Both my wife and I have Caponords - the original ones.

Like our bikes, the 1200 Capo's tank holds 24 litres - it'll have to, given the Dorso's notoriously hefty thirst.
Instead of being innovative, Aprilia have proven to be mere followers of fashion.
That Tigerette XC's looking better and better.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Another sit-up-and-beg bike for old people, to compete with that other misguided Mis-Adventure bike, the Ducati Mono-Strada coffee-shop cruiser.
In reality this Aprilia will be horrible (and vulnerable) on anything but the most manicured dirt roads - just like the Ducati.
The original Caponord doesn't have a great reputation, which is a pity because if they persevere, owners can do the job the factory didn't, and finish the bike properly. Then it becomes a fast, good-handling, reliable, comfortable bike that IS capable of tackling at least rough dirt roads - and if you're pretty competent, fire trails too.
Both my wife and I have Caponords - the original ones.

Like our bikes, the 1200 Capo's tank holds 24 litres - it'll have to, given the Dorso's notoriously hefty thirst.
Instead of being innovative, Aprilia have proven to be mere followers of fashion.
That Tigerette XC's looking better and better.
I agree with much of this but take exception in a few areas. The V 1.0 Caponord is not fast in the current idiom, and it's handling is adequate but heavy and not inspired. I would call it competent, not "good."

The Multistrada's inability to tackle dirt roads means little to it's buyers because it is truly fast, and more capable and comfortable than you credit it as a long distance tourer. What it is not is a dirt bike, but if your mission isn't dirt, it is a thrilling ride and while it is distinctly not without it's own flaws, I suspect you have never ridden one because it is the most addictive tourer on the market at this moment.

I own one of each as you know and the old Capo has good ergonomics, a pleasant demeanor and better native wind protection than the Multistrada, or the GS as far as I am concerned (never could understand the bitches about the aerodynamics but........). It is a fundamentally tough bike but with a deserved reputation for letting one down when the electrics go wonky. But it is a good buy and was almost from the start. However, it is no match for the Ducati on paved roads, (few bikes are) and it is one more thing: boring. The problem with the new Capo as I see it is that it threatens to continue in the same direction, but with a 17" front tire rendering it even less capable of dirty play, not that I much care.

I have no idea why anybody who had used their own money to buy it would want to take a bike as expensive and easily binned as a Multistrada on a serious tour off the path, but for touring on tarmac and covering distance on pavement, it is one hell of a hoot. Ducati's success with it suggests there are a lot of folks who like the idea.

As for being innovative and forging a new niche in a niche, that's a tough one given the number of machines on the market. One may reasonably wonder why Aprilia bothered, but since they did, they might have done better to have put the Capo on a diet ( as somebody already said) or sold it as the new Futura. Of course it remains to be seen how it will pan out, and it's premature to condemn it before it has been ridden and the owner reports are in, but where we agree is that Aprilia would have benefited by building something unique and ground breaking.

What might that have been?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
It all this to guess the price, really? The Dorsoduro sell for 11.5K plus 2K to dress it as adventurer and we have 13.5K for a bike that will outperform all others except the MT1200 where most of them are ridden ASPHALT.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
19" Needed

They will probably slap the 19" wire wheel on there for the Rally Raid version, along with the flat Khakie paint. estimated price:.... $15,999.00 USD. Like umh..... Tiger Explorer.
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
It all this to guess the price, really? The Dorsoduro sell for 11.5K plus 2K to dress it as adventurer and we have 13.5K for a bike that will outperform all others except the MT1200 where most of them are ridden ASPHALT.
I think this bike may alter that statement a bit......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
KTMmiker
Moto Junkie

Oddometer: 143
Like Capo, Love 1190 ADV

I like Capo's... alot. But I WANT that stinkin KTM!!! I just don't want to pay for it.
Past Flings: 08 990 Adventure, 05 Tiger, 03 Caponord ,02 Aprilia Futura , O8 Guzzi 1200 Sport , 08 Speed Triple, 02 Falco, 07 Tiger, 04 Sprint RS, 2000 VFR (Pretec), 00 KTM 640e, Bonnevilles and Tbird's (Triples)
KTMmiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think this bike may alter that statement a bit......

-SM
I like the styling of the Capo better, I'm pretty sure I'd like the price better also, but that remains to be seen. I'm glad to see KTM removing a bunch of plastic, maybe they'll pull off a few yards from the 990 Adventure. Amazing how all the companies are gravitating towards a similar design, notice how incredibly similar the seat designs are between all of them.

I just wish there were more Aprillia dealers around. I like many of their products, but have never owned one, partly because they are hard to find. Ya, I know there's a couple around if I dig hard enough...... but it's slim pickens

I know many are dissing the more street oriented "ADV" style bikes, but I think the ADV style is to motorcycles what SUVs were to the "car" market, and look how well they sold. Without comfortable standard style bikes to choose from (at least here in the States), ADV style bikes are your only choice if you don't want a crotch rocket or cruiser. For many it makes sense even if it's a off-road poser, how many 4x4 SUVs ever got dirty? Plus some of the worn out, beat up, and generally lousy excuse for roads these days almost require a bike like this just to navigate the "pavement". Personally I like the way Triumph has handled it with 2 versions, makes huge sense to me.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

I like the styling of the Capo better, I'm pretty sure I'd like the price better also, but that remains to be seen. I'm glad to see KTM removing a bunch of plastic, maybe they'll pull off a few yards from the 990 Adventure. Amazing how all the companies are gravitating towards a similar design, notice how incredibly similar the seat designs are between all of them.

I just wish there were more Aprillia dealers around. I like many of their products, but have never owned one, partly because they are hard to find. Ya, I know there's a couple around if I dig hard enough...... but it's slim pickens

I know many are dissing the more street oriented "ADV" style bikes, but I think the ADV style is to motorcycles what SUVs were to the "car" market, and look how well they sold. Without comfortable standard style bikes to choose from (at least here in the States), ADV style bikes are your only choice if you don't want a crotch rocket or cruiser. For many it makes sense even if it's a off-road poser, how many 4x4 SUVs ever got dirty? Plus some of the worn out, beat up, and generally lousy excuse for roads these days almost require a bike like this just to navigate the "pavement". Personally I like the way Triumph has handled it with 2 versions, makes huge sense to me.
Sensible point of view, hard to argue with. I think Aprilia's difficulty in forging a solid dealer network has been their
Achilles heel in the USA, although that is not an issue where I live. This bike should do well (that is, it probably has the basic stuff to do well), but I still think it would appeal to me more (making a big presumption here) if it were a bit lighter. I happen to like the look myself. I wish them great success with it because overall I think they do a fine job engineering their products and I personally have no hesitation owning an Aprilia. I've had two and they have both been good bikes. I think this machine has nice clean lines as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I'm just guessing 'bout that, but let's start a rumor!

i could be wrong!
Just going on what a few other brands have done...
...would be nice although no one much in OZ has heard of Aprilia
Same importer does Guzzi,I used to get a lot of sentemental looks
and life stories from old guys when I owned a Guzzi CaliEV.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Wicked

Glad to see a new one!

Can someone add 2014 aka 1200 to the thread Title? Thanks! Almost passed it on by.

Thoroughly enjoyed my ETV1000 in many ways and miss it to this day. Saw 14 states on that thing.

Bring it!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
Just going on what a few other brands have done...
...would be nice although no one much in OZ has heard of Aprilia
Same importer does Guzzi,I used to get a lot of sentemental looks
and life stories from old guys when I owned a Guzzi CaliEV.
Guzzis do seem to attract an...ah....mature crowd. The ETV1000 seems to have quite a few enthusiastic owners in Oz from what I see on the forums, but my impression is that Piaggio has dealership issues in many places outside of Europe. And I leave Europe out only because I don't know how they do there and in Great Britain; impression is that they do a bit better closer to home.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
trentster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Anyone know of a US dealer to contact? Any idea when this will be in the states? Price?
Thanks!
trentster is offline   Reply With Quote