Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #346
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 522
your paypal thingy doesn't work ;) something about a certificate that couldn't be decrypted
LethPhaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #347
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
your paypal thingy doesn't work ;) something about a certificate that couldn't be decrypted

Well, thanks for your attempted donation, I really appreciate it. I'm in Oaxaca tonight. Big City, crazy drivers. I just got online. I'll check the PayPal thing out.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #348
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Mexico is a stunningly beautiful country. Untold miles of unbelievable scenery, but with that there are some pretty sad sights. Extreme poverty in cases.

Where i am tonight is a good example of a pretty basic little Mexican town. No one has a lot but they all seem to really live a happy life. They are in the square with families in the evening, every one is out for a walk, there is music everywhere and dancing. We North Americans are pretty stuffy in comparison. But like I say this town is basic, poor in fact and then I walk out of the Hotel and see an MV Augusta helicopter fly overhead, one of the most expensive helicopters money can buy. Just my take on the country, you can't ride here for several days and not have some opinions about the place.
Started following your ride, after JDowns referred to your RR. I appreciate your take on Mexico. I'll be in your tracks in a year or two. Thanks for taking the time from your travels to post!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #349
Kedgi OP
Banned

Glad you're aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Started following your ride, after JDowns referred to your RR. I appreciate your take on Mexico. I'll be in your tracks in a year or two. Thanks for taking the time from your travels to post!

Thanks Mike

I've been sending readers John Down's way as well. I love his take and his style. I really hope he and I meet up. When we started he was in Nebraska and I was in New Brunswick, Now were only about 600 miles apart.

Glad you're aboard

Kedgi
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #350
Kedgi OP
Banned

Huajuapan to Oaxaca

I wish everyday could start like today. I went for breakfast, got what i ordered and I blasted off. It was hot when i was loading the bike, but within minutes I started the climb up glorious mountain roads and i needed my heated grip and winter liner again. The road, Rte 190 had some sketchy pavement, not bad, but just enough to ad interest. What a road! No traffic, I mean no traffic, 20 minutes would pass and i wouldn't see another vehicle. There is a new toll road between Huajuapan and Oaxaca and they must all be using that.

I can't tell you how much fun I had. It's like someone gave you this private racetrack and said "Go Nuts" I didn't have far to go!

Holy crap, I remember one section in particular when I realized I was on this ridge with about 1000 foot drops on either side, and I mean immediately on either side, like you were on a suspension bridge.

Amazing scenery, wonderful little villages, Pine trees, flowers, cactus, waterfalls, It had it all.

I was tired from a long day yesterday, and the rooster at my hotel decided it was time to get up at 4:45, but i could not get over what I was seeing. I stopped and took a lot of pictures. There were actually places to stop, and who cared, there was no traffic anyway I could have parked the bike in the middle of the road.

After an hour my arms and shoulders were getting sore from all the braking and I've worn the skin off my left big toe, the one I broke in the July crash, from all the shifting. How cool is that???

Here's a bunch of pictures

The double length Corona truck breezing through town

They waste no time

The ride

Rio del Oro

Check out this dirt road!

I did not want today's ride to end.....Epic!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #351
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oaxaca

Eventually I got to Oaxaca. I wish i'd remembered to take my winter liner off when I gassed up at the edge of town. Warm and traffic, crazy, heavy tarffic! Macismo! Man they drive aggressively here. I've learned, drive like they do. Be pushy, drive fast, make the cab driver think you'd love to ride over his hood if he cuts you off. Trust me it works.

Oaxaca. It has a wonderful square, Sjoerd Bakkers book was a life saver and so was my GPS. It lead me right to the Hotel paris as recommended by Sjoerd's book. Thank God! I thought I would die of heat exhaustion in the traffic. I had to do a u-turn at one point to void a one way street the GPS was trying to send me down and I 'motocrossed over a railroad track and a pile of dirt just to do it. I was very very glad to get to this hotel. Nice place for about $30 not bad for in the middle of a massive city.

Oaxaca

My room

The hotel feels very Brazilian to me, here's a look down the hall

My walk

Traffic everywhere

Scenes from the square, a magnificent huge square, full of people. I people watched all afternoon

Look at this angelic girl waiting for her dad to buy her a balloon

Narrow streets

People

The Cathedral

back in the square

a beer at the square

Kedgi

Supper at the square

These two little boys were going table to table selling embroidered goods. Not a parent in sight. I gave the little guy a few pesos, you would have thought I gave him the world

The market

more traffic

There were protests at one end of the square. Indigenous people demanding their land back

I met some people from California while I had supper, they belong to a church group that has been coming here for many years, to support a sister church. they were very nice and it was fun to speak English again.

I came back to the room and i don't know how I missed it before but this was on my desk crashing back to reality it exemplifies the drug problem that has left Mexico in such a mess. This is actually a very nice hotel and I was really surprised the maid somehow missed it.

I firgged around with my computer for a long while trying to install my new PayPal button 18 times.

Then I met this wonderful Mexican couple, Roberto and Consuela

Roberto has a bike and they ride a lot around here on weekend trips. They asked me how i found this hotel and i told them about Sjoerd Bakker's book. They are going to get a copy.

Robeto builds guitars. How cool is that?

Consuela speaks extremely good English, we had a great time. When Roberto found out I had ridden to Mexico from Canada by myself, he said, with a sweeping mption of his arms.....You are a Bullfighter! I told them I get called something similar at home from time to time.

Tomorrow, the beach, the Pacific Ocean, I cant wait!

Now you're up to date

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:57 PM
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #352
Kedgi OP
Banned

No Importanto

In my quest to learn a bit of Spanish i really keep my ears open and I read signs and try and figure them out and remember the words. I hear a lot of the same phrases every day. I don't know how to say them but I recognize them, like, have a nice trip, do you want to fill up? I know the difference between Buenos, Diaz, Tarde, and Noches now. It's all good. I don't care I always get what I want but it would be nice to talk to the people I meet.

I told Roberto what happens when I order something to eat. usually I pick something off the menu that I think i know what it is. I can do that part, it's easy. Then what happens is, the waitress asks me a bunch of questions I simply do not understand. I get the gist, it's like, what sauce do you want, do you want corn or flour, do you want mole of verde?

I told Roberto I really don't care I'm just happy to have something to eat. It's all good. Really tasty food here. he told me to just say....No Importanto!

I'll remember that, useful indeed.

I'm learning.

Kedgi
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #353
Kedgi OP
Banned

Equipment

I gotta write an assessment of the gear/equipment I have with me, what works and what doesn't. Don't let me forget.

Kedgi
Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #354
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hotel Paris

This Hotel, the Hotel Paris in Oaxaca is a wonderful hotel, in a great location. It's owned by a biker, Sergio Rivera. I know that thanks to Sjoerd Bakker's book on Economical Mexican Hotels.

I asked for Sergio but they told me he is down on the coast and coming back today, maybe we'll cross paths yet.

I'm getting ready to head out and ride Rte 175 towards Puerto Escondito.

Just for fun, Google map the route between Oaxaca and Puerto Escondito and zoom in......WOW!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #355
WJW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
This Hotel, the Hotel Paris in Oaxaca is a wonderful hotel, in a great location. It's owned by a biker, Sergio Rivera. I know that thanks to Sjoerd Bakker's book on Economical Mexican Hotels.

I asked for Sergio but they told me he is down on the coast and coming back today, maybe we'll cross paths yet.

I'm getting ready to head out and ride Rte 175 towards Puerto Escondito.

Just for fun, Google map the route between Oaxaca and Puerto Escondito and zoom in......WOW!

Like "The Tail of The Dragon" only . 15 times longer, have a fun day.
WJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #356
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Hi Kedji,

First beer is on me tonight sent via Paypal . When you get home, I'm gonna ride up to Shediac and buy you a few more. Loving the RR, like some others have said, makes me feel like I'm riding along with you.

I'm in Rothesay, so if you need to check on your dad or have anything brought to him let me know.

Ride safe
Terry
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #357
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Great Ride Report

All caught up and subscribed! Thanks for helping me gather intel for my upcoming adventure. Ride safe.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #358
love/hate it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thumb PayPal

Just made my firstPayPal installment payment to you. Thanks for the opportunity to give back and express appreciation for what you are doing. I'm guessing this RR is quite demanding...I'm pooped just reading about the adventure. No you're not crazy, well maybe a little bit, but not because of the PayPal idea.
Cheers.
love/hate it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #359
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
4.6 earthquake in Oaxaca today

Looks like you had a little shake (4.6) about 45min ago in your neck of the woods... Hope you're fine.

Being also from Canada, I never used to think about earthquakes too much, until I moved to Costa Rica in Nov 2008 and have since then experienced quite a few ones.

Hopefully you can update all your readers on your status soon.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #360
Jumpster
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You're paving the way for me. I'm heading down in Spring and am enjoying every word. Also, posted a tank of gas for you.
Jumpster is offline   Reply With Quote