Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #16
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkam View Post
Excellent job with round tubes!!!
How mutch is the ground clearance and the wheel travel for the Hack?

the lowest point to bottom of tube is at the back mount 11" and it rises to 15" as soon as leaning clearance allows ,the travel of the car suspension should be around 10 inches but I've not confirmed this

where's my monkey ??

headednw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

mmmmm fun .....making brackets .......

Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

don't laugh at my spacers , I'm but a humble pipefitter . I will be making some propper spacers when all is said and done , maybe .

nice side benefit with the ktm octagonal frame tube is the ability to get a nice weld on the inside of the mounting bracket so the bracket is pinched tightly against the frame when bolted up and hardware tightened.

I took her for an empty spin around the block or 2 , strange having that thing hanging out there . The bike handled fine although I could tell the assembly was there ....felt a bit like a dampened / stabilized regular bike is the only way I can discibe it and not knowing how it should feel I am left with questions and wonderment.

I did find a test monkey for a quick loop around the yard at slow speed , she said it was quite plush feeling even sitting one the tube frame and I really couldn't tell she was there as far as the feel and handling were concerned
I can't get the video worked out but anyhow , so far so good I guess.

So , I threw 256 lbs on the frame to get a feel suspension reaction , load placement , sag etc etc ,,,,

I could feel that there was more weight involved but still could do figure 8s in the yard without much notice of anything other than the previously mentioned stabilized /dampened handling feel I mentioned ealier .

as I thought would be the case , the front suspension is lacking as may be the back but I haven't gotten to far into the thoughts of the changes needed just yet but I'm starting to ....btw , the car frame and suspension tip the scales right at 100 lbs .

the bike without car frame connected are at front @ 135 lbs , rear @ 141 lbs full of fuel .
with the car connected and the 256 lbs on the frame the front came in at

and the rear at

and car wheel at

not sure what the next move is , I guess I'll give her a road test with the 256 lbs added to the car and consider where the suspension /spring rate should be .
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,077
Looking good! I admire your fab abilities.

What is the track width?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,405
That's what I was wondering. It looks frikkin wide, but then again camera angles can do funny things.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the current track is 57" . I plan on "hacking " the frame off and pulling the suspension in to the end of the cross barace . 53 or under is my goal depending on wht the pups can lounge in without discomfort during long stretches of travel.
We mocked up a car body last night out of scraps of angle so we can get the pups in it and really see the space they are gonna need and try and get a feel for weight distribution.

I'm thinking I can squeeze them into a much narrower car than the wifey is leading me into .

Old 10-31-2012, 04:33 AM   #22
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #24
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by headednw View Post
the current track is 57" . I plan on "hacking " the frame off and pulling the suspension in to the end of the cross barace . 53 or under is my goal depending on wht the pups can lounge in without discomfort during long stretches of travel.
We mocked up a car body last night out of scraps of angle so we can get the pups in it and really see the space they are gonna need and try and get a feel for weight distribution.

I'm thinking I can squeeze them into a much narrower car than the wifey is leading me into .

That is really wide. Get under 48" if you can. You will like it a lot more on the trailers. My last BMW dirt hack was 44" and was heavy but great on the trails.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,851
This is gonna be awesome!

Sub 50" will make it much better on the trails.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input
I'm quite certain I can make a skinny car that seats them front and back and get this track way in and still provide enough room for comfort , it's not like this is a cross country rig .
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,851
If you are planning on taking the dogs along, you're going to want to consider a few things.

1. Removing the seat. Dog's require a lot more distance from tail to front paw to sit than you might think. As such, most can't sit in a human seat on a sidecar.

2. Padding. Once the seat is removed, you'll need some sort of padding on the bottom of the tub. This will not only help them ride more comfortably, but it will stabilize them as well. You don't have to invent anything. If you aren't good with a needle and thread, hit up Bobby at Riddle's Custom Upholstery. http://www.riddlescustomupholstery.com/Pooch_Pad.html . He makes all sorts of hack accessories, and while he does tons of Ural stuff, he can make anything you want. I've found that I can't make it myself for what he charges. He did one for me out of heavy waterproof tonneau material with extra padding. You can see it here. http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...246862#p246862 . The important thing is creating a pad that provides cushioning without moving in the tub. If the pad slides, the dog slides.

3. Windshield...or not. Really, nose clearance. Measure your dog while sitting from tail to nose, and see if anything you have on the front of the tub is going to obstruct the dog. Keep in mind, the faster you go, the more they are likely to lean forward into the wind. If the dog is obstructed, they are likely to find a different way to put their nose to the breeze, like leaning out the side.

4. Securing your dog. There is a lot of debate on this one, and only you can decide what your dog needs. I feel fully comfortable riding with my dog unsecured. He has no prey drive and is a complete gentleman in the tub. However, I have a harness system in place to give him a little support just in case he slips on a turn. The same system will break away at about 150lbs of force...aka...when things get FUBAR. There are several threads here on securing your pooch. Study up and you might find a creative way to plan this into your build.

OK, enough of the unsolicited input.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Great rig, coming along nicely. Nice looking pups too.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
After much of the bickering and back biting in recent threads, this refreshing insight into one guy's project is an absolute joy. Keep it coming.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
headednw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

dang job keeps getting in the way .....it sits in the trailer to take to the camp for some offroad testing and good ole fashioned fun . Hoping this weekend .