Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Whale, I am staring at your pics more and noticing something, did you turn your TBs verticlewith an elbow and run them up under the tank?
If so, I love that idea..

I have a donor 2003 YZ 125 donor front end and can get the frame as a start point. I know the frame will be short, but combining your style and larryboys is possible.

I just wish I had an 1150 with the 6 speed trans. I have an R1100RT that I may use for this project.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Whale, I am staring at your pics more and noticing something, did you turn your TBs verticlewith an elbow and run them up under the tank?
If so, I love that idea..

I have a donor 2003 YZ 125 donor front end and can get the frame as a start point. I know the frame will be short, but combining your style and larryboys is possible.

I just wish I had an 1150 with the 6 speed trans. I have an R1100RT that I may use for this project.
Yep back then CC rating was limited to 900 and as for the $7000 I would hate to add up the hours that I have spent on this so far but I suppose it is a one off and I have made everything in my shed for it so far from scratch.
Yes I have turned the intakes up 90Deg and swapped the throtle bodies from side to side to get the injectors pointed back in the ports again. The air intake will be up by the steering head and a fuel tank is next to be made to fit where the airbox used to be.
This bike will be for trails and I had a gearbox with the pivot point broken out of it so I cut the rest of it off with the angle grinder and now the swingarm pivots in the frame.
I will be running an 850 to start with which will have a 3.36 final drive ratio I think the 5 speed box will be better because the ratio split is a bit wider the 6 speed box ratios are pretty close so with a low final drive you would be changing gear all the time.
As for the HPN 900RR if you study the engine it is way from Std all the sump is cut off the engine and extra oil tank fitted under the gearbox an alternator on the front of the crank like an airhead motor, remote oil filter and the list goes on many things to take in. Rear shock on top of the gearbox at a 45Deg angel. I have kept mine vertical.
R900 RR the dream machine never to be made by HPN for the public unlike the previous airhead models
As for the YZ parts go for it anything is possible all that is required is time and inclination good luck.

P.S. if you click on my photo you will see some previous photos of the frame. Still a way to go before the big fire up but the major stuff is done once I get the tank made.

WR

Whale Rider screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 12:18 AM
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Very cool Whale.
Thanks for all of the input.
I got in touch with Bert Duursma last night and it is much better than i thought. The subframe is not available at all, not sure why, but I think the stock BMW subframe will bolt up to the custom frame and if so I believe that there are aluminum subframes on the market for a stock frame.

The price is WAY better than I thought, the frame is VERY simply in design so the price is better, not cheap, but better.
Bert sent me an email that the frame is *about* 1650 Euro shipped which only translate to about $2200.00 USD.
That is doable imho. I just need to verify if their steering head will fit with the YZ triple clamp. I think I can get some bearings that will work either way, but it would be nice if I could get the exact head diameter that the YZ has for simplicity.

I am just really torn. I am one of those guys that have TOO many Ideas, TOO little money, No time, and BIG dreams....lol
I am torn between building my R80G/S into an HPN replica or building the 900RR replica. I want a bike I can tour long distances on when on the highway, but is reasonably capable on things like the TAT or the Rubicon trail type of rides.

I like the idea of the oilhead for HP, stock it is at 85-90 ish and smooth, where as the Airhead is only 50 ish HP and is old, It would require alot of work to get the motor fresh and up to snuff for a long distance trip. The oilhead I have is road ready, fairly low mileage, and a know good running commodity.
Apples and oranges, but tasty, but one makes a better pie and one makes a better cocktail....lol
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
More links of whats gone before

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16706315#post16706315

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711018

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79915

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217713

enjoy

WR
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

WR,
Thanks for those links, that gives me a great head start on what I am looking at doing. Great info there and some different approaches to a similar end result. Big help.

I am really condsidering using the ugly stock RT tank with no tupperware. Looks are not my biggest concern. I wish the glovebox pocket was different but I may make something to fill it, like a reserve tank. The tank is not really heavy, unless full of fuel, it carries the weight pretty low down near the cylinders, and best of all it is free...since I already own it. Also the screw holes could make for some nice tank back attachment points etc...

Rear shock and suspension is a big area of concern, an Ohlins GSA shock is out of the question. A WP PDs is possible, but will have to research the fitment issues. Then some sort of a front frame goosneck, whether I buy one from Bert Duursma or build my own, either way I have the whole front end already and the '96 RT is is good shape so I can sell alot of parts if I do this, the build could be almost cost free, just time.

I am leaning towards trying a Trellis frame similar to the Bakker frames Bert sells, no real risk, if I can't get it right then all I am out is an $80 YZ frame that I cut the gooseneck out of, then maybe an aluminum attemp at cutting the stock one with a CR gooseneck, then last resort drop the cash on a Bakker. Lots of playing around ahead of me and I am sure alot more questions from me and request for info help.

My only issue right now is my bad neck, but on Dec 5, 2012 I am getting a NEW plate and new Ti screws to fix the one that got broken....somehow, and refuse the C6/7 joint that did not fuse. 6 months after that I am in to do a big project.