Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #332
bdjuju
Should be wrenching

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Nah, just want this to run well so I can ride it
Fair enough..
Just thinking about how much less of a hassle my F4i is over the wifer's F3, in regards to its fueling.
Spent $600 going through the carbs on the F3 (granted, with 80k miles on it) vs the F4i (sat for a year, started right up.) Things get sticky & leaky, fuel-wise on the F3 if it isn't used regularly, too. Now that she's not pregnant anymore, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but in a multi-bike household I can appreciate one less thing to worry about.
bdjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #333
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,359
So I finally got some work done on the jetting. I installed the Dynojet Kit to their specs. I also finished the Innovate Motorsports tuner install. Took it out today and just ran around town, hard to get any full throttle pulls in a city but I did my best.

I recorded a couple sessions which I think are useful for some insight into what is going on. First off, bike runs 100x better than last time. No weird bogs, pulls hard from idle to redline. I would probably leave it as is but that's not the spirit.

Bear in mind I'm a complete beginner here with Air/fuel ratios etc. Here's a screen shot of some varied throttle. The pink line is the AF ratio the red is the throttle position. There is one spike where I pinned it.

It APPEARS TO ME that the bike is lean at idle, where the AFR is above 20. When it is full throttle, it looks like I am getting down into the 9's which would be a little rich.

So any advice? I might be inclined to go down one step on the mains and possibly turn the fuel screws out 1/4 turn? It was still popping on decel.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #334
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
I'm new to using a afr meter but I think you might have an issue with your meter/sensor or maybe something else.

I dont think an engine would run at 20afr and at 9 you would almost have fuel running out the pipe

Like i said im new to this so i could be and probably am very much mistaken but its maybe something to look into
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #335
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
I'm new to using a afr meter but I think you might have an issue with your meter/sensor or maybe something else.

I dont think an engine would run at 20afr and at 9 you would almost have fuel running out the pipe

Like i said im new to this so i could be and probably am very much mistaken but its maybe something to look into
I agree that something seems off, don't think your bike wouldn't be idling long at 22:1....
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #336
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Joe a local buddy said it was the meter too. I wasn't wiling to go that far but I read some other reviews of people having similar problems and getting jerked around by innovate. I'd just as soon return it through amazon.com and forget the hassle altogether. I got the bike very close yesterday with no help from the meter so I think I can probably tune the rest myself.

Bike is totally transformed from two weeks ago. Other than popping on decel and being a little hard to start which should both be fixed with fuel screws, the bike runs amazing.

I slapped the dirt wheels back on with a new rear and am ready for some dirt road testing

Nessmuk
Old 11-12-2012, 05:22 AM   #337
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Took her out for a spin exactly as you see it. Was having a great day, bike ran great, little knock in the steering I suspect I need to take the steering apart again and make sure it's tight. Pulled off at an onramp to make a video tour and decided to check the coolant

I thought I had some better footage but all I had was road riding and I don't think that's very interesting especially since it was in a city. Anyways, the coolant thing is hopefully a waterpump and not a headgasket. Bike ran awesome other than that. I'm returning the Innovate meter, thing sucks, keeps dropping out signal, idle AFR reading is sky high and RPM readings are a joke.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 05:49 AM
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #338
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Took her out for a spin exactly as you see it. Was having a great day, bike ran great, little knock in the steering I suspect I need to take the steering apart again and make sure it's tight. Pulled off at an onramp to make a video tour and decided to check the coolant

Crap
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #339
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Crap
Kev it's either a waterpump (hopefully), oil cooler gasket (hopefully) or headgasket (please no) I ordered all the parts for the oil cooler as someone on a CBR forum had the same issue and I remember my gaskets looking a little tired when I took mine off a couple years ago. I also ordered a waterpump on ebay, too bad they don't sell the seals

Nessmuk
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #340
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got the parts to rebuild/reseal the oil cooler, easy job didn't even need to take the header off.

Oh No Mr Bill!!!

These are the oil passages on the front of the block that go into the oil filter, through the oil cooler and back into the pan. The o-rings were in decent shape but I bought the whole kit so why not

Got the whole thing off, cleaned out as best I could

New O rings for the block passages

New o ring for the coolant into the block, and yes I did clean off that hose barb after i took the photo...

A bunch of the bolts were corroded from the coolant, ran them quickly through a die and just like new

I reinstalled the water pump with a new o ring so that is hopefully all the trouble areas. The gaskets at teh top of this post were terrible so I think that was the reason. I need to run a bunch of water through the system to flush out the remaining chocolate milk that is surely in the block.

Then this bike is going down for a long winters nap. I will throw on the sumo forks, shock and wheels and put it in storage until spring. I have a new Ninja 650 that I am really excited to start building and my ADHD forbids me from ever finishing a project Seriously I will finish this one but I plan to rob a bunch of parts off this one to the other bike and vise versa so I'll wait until the spring and finish them both up. And Maybe the Fz1. Maybe

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 05:36 PM
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #341
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Dammit! If you aren't gonna ride it, at least someone else take up the reins :)
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #342
sailah OP
Lampin' it

No I am going to ride it for sure. It's a really sweet motor and I love how light and flickable it is. The Ninja 650 is the ultimate conversion for me and since I already have a full set of supermoto suspension sitting on my bench I might as well dedicate it to a certain bike and the CBR wins the prize. I need to move the bike into storage as I literally have a one car garage that is so stuffed with machine tools and other bikes that I have no space. I plan on putting the CBR and the FZ1 on my trailer and bring them down to a buddies who has a large steel building where I can store them for the winter. The Husky doesn't take up much space plus I'll probably ride that this winter.

The only thing left to do on the CBR is fiddle around with a couple cosmetic things, header wrap, powder and paint, some wiring, heated grips etc. I really want to get back into some heavy fab work and the Ninja will be it.

If you want to come over and pick it up, it's all yours until spring.

Nessmuk
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #343
TerraRoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
did you get it out for summer?
TerraRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #344
sailah OP
Lampin' it

No I've been riding my new project. I'm probably going to part it out. Which means it's going to be in my storage unit for decades

The ninja 650 is just better in every way other than outright acceleration. More comfortable, polished, better action on rear suspension, much better range, fuel injected, better ergos, slightly heftier but only by 10#.

I have a lot of bling parts on it like the ktm supermoto setup, radial brakes that are worth it to sell so I'll use that to fund the next project.

Why you want to buy it?

Nessmuk
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #345
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I would give my right arm for the front end off it. Too bad I'm broke trying to make sure I can afford the Alcan event. Last mod I want to do to my KLR is upside down forks....

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote