ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3706
Grants
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Grants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Latvia
Oddometer: 117
2013 r1200gs

A pic of new 2013 R1200GS from EICMA exhibition in Milan; :)


as you can see the lady looks very good as well as the bike though.
But I have to say, that now this is 90% on road bike and only 10% off road bike. I cannot imagine taking such bike for water crossing or exploring some trails. There are too many tiny pieces on this bike which, after first crash, will just fell off. Maybe I`m wrong, but that was the first impression.
__________________
Latvia - Romania
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754389
Grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #3707
MANXMAN
Overlander
 
MANXMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: BRITISH Columbia
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Honestly I don't know what's the fuss about wider tires on the GS. I don't think we ought to be concerned too much about the tires.
Well there you have it. Thanks for clearing that up.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3708
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants View Post
A pic of new 2013 R1200GS from EICMA exhibition in Milan; :)


as you can see the lady looks very good as well as the bike though.
But I have to say, that now this is 90% on road bike and only 10% off road bike. I cannot imagine taking such bike for water crossing or exploring some trails. There are too many tiny pieces on this bike which, after first crash, will just fell off. Maybe I`m wrong, but that was the first impression.
... and you put this picture up to reinforce the observation an inmate made in an earlier comment, that this bike provides lots of leg...
...room

All new bikes are too pretty to get banged up by an amateur like me, trying to stay upright on some fire road - well a KLR650 might the exception. I wish I was a better rider, but I am not, so I ride slowly and sometimes fall over.

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #3709
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants View Post
There are too many tiny pieces on this bike which, after first crash, will just fell off. Maybe I`m wrong, but that was the first impression.
If you are talking about the luggage, then... yeah. But then BMW luggage fell off my '05 GS, too. I wouldn't buy the stock GS luggage. I don't know what other "tiny pieces" you may be talking about. My overall impression is that it is cleaner than my '05 GS. My current GS is quite fond of taking naps and I've yet to lose more than a little bit of brake fluid from the ABS unit overflow vent -- a whizzy brake bike problem. I have had to reposition mirror stalks and handlebars.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #3710
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Question,
Why would a narrow tire on a giant piggy like a GSA be better offroad? Wouldn't a wider/larger diameter tire provide better flotation?
My thoughts too. Skinny original Range Rover tires don't cut it in beach sand. Ditto the earlier GS.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #3711
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer
 
ShaftEd's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: San Diego, CA USA
Oddometer: 3,192
The new GS's wider tires have a shorter sidewall. Easier to ding the rim.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #3712
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
I can not understand what makes people think the LED lights won't be available in the States?

BMW and Audi (and probably Mercedes and the high end Japanese cars) have had LED lights - at least surrounding the
headlights - for the past two model years. Why would they penalize bikes and prohibit an obvious safety feature?
Arbitrary archaic nonsensical rules, laws, codes, etc. As an example, LED turn signals have been around for awhile in cars, but BMW Motoradd's LED turn signals do not meet DOT specs and thus are not sold here.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #3713
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
"Beauty and the Beast". She looks out of place I'd say, they grey is my favorite color.



I like the looks without any plastic just as much as the "finished" version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grants View Post
A pic of new 2013 R1200GS from EICMA exhibition in Milan; :)


as you can see the lady looks very good as well as the bike though.
But I have to say, that now this is 90% on road bike and only 10% off road bike. I cannot imagine taking such bike for water crossing or exploring some trails. There are too many tiny pieces on this bike which, after first crash, will just fell off. Maybe I`m wrong, but that was the first impression.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #3714
Falcon Rust
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Oddometer: 96
No Beak.

[IMG]BMW R1200GS 2013[/IMG]
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #3715
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo
 
asphaltsurfer1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Oklahoma USA
Oddometer: 118
On off road split

I disagree that the distribution will be any different with the new model relative to the split between off and on road. That being said the amount of off road worthiness of a 500 lb motorcycle really comes down to skill, strength and willingness to take scratches and wear on an expensive mount. BMW had one at the Dallas show a couple of weeks ago. I sat on it and looked it over very closely. It is more evolution, even with the major motor redesign, than revolution. The tires are noticeably wider than my 08 GS. The Dallas example had spoke wheels, which are much more Matt finished than mine. The overall look to instruments and engine is far cleaner with fewer wires, injectors and connectors showing. The windscreen is very easy to raise and lower its just funny that its on the right side when you'll want to adjust using your left hand while moving. The slightly slimmer seat and midsection does contribute to a slightly easier reach to the ground, maybe by an inch or less. The overall feel of balance, weight and construction appear to be very similar. Things like the metal clutch and brake slaves probably indicates BMWs intent on the new bike seeing significant off road duty also evident in promotional videos. IMO take is they wanted to close the street- worthiness of the Ducati MS, Triumph and other entries while not disorienting any current owners. I can't wait to actual tests and comparisons once journalists get their hands on these things.
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #3716
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltsurfer1 View Post
I disagree that the distribution will be any different with the new model relative to the split between off and on road. That being said the amount of off road worthiness of a 500 lb motorcycle really comes down to skill, strength and willingness to take scratches and wear on an expensive mount. BMW had one at the Dallas show a couple of weeks ago. I sat on it and looked it over very closely. It is more evolution, even with the major motor redesign, than revolution. The tires are noticeably wider than my 08 GS. The Dallas example had spoke wheels, which are much more Matt finished than mine. The overall look to instruments and engine is far cleaner with fewer wires, injectors and connectors showing. The windscreen is very easy to raise and lower its just funny that its on the right side when you'll want to adjust using your left hand while moving. The slightly slimmer seat and midsection does contribute to a slightly easier reach to the ground, maybe by an inch or less. The overall feel of balance, weight and construction appear to be very similar. Things like the metal clutch and brake slaves probably indicates BMWs intent on the new bike seeing significant off road duty also evident in promotional videos. IMO take is they wanted to close the street- worthiness of the Ducati MS, Triumph and other entries while not disorienting any current owners. I can't wait to actual tests and comparisons once journalists get their hands on these things.
Thanks for your review. Did the GS on display have the LED headlights?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #3717
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,683
I can't wait until Saturday as I'm off to the bike show at the NEC with some mates. I've heard that they're releasing prices in the UK at the show.
__________________
2015 BMW R1200GSW (on order)
2014 BMW R1200GSW TE (current)
2015 BMW S1000R Sport (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #3718
Grants
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Grants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Latvia
Oddometer: 117
[QUOTE=tallguy-09;20081772]"Beauty and the Beast". She looks out of place I'd say, they grey is my favorite color.



I like the looks without any plastic just as much as the "finished" version.

[/QUOTE
I have noticed only now how high are the pipe for air filter... much higher than on old GS.. this could be ultimate water crossing machine :)
Previously I have mentioned "tiny details" which could fell off after some crash: I was referring to wind shield mounting and adjusting mechanism.. sure it is very handy, but didn`t looked so robust and "bullet proof" as it was on previous GS / GSA
__________________
Latvia - Romania
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754389
Grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #3719
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
A GT - really?
JN, my mistake, it was another bike, sorry about that.
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #3720
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for your review. Did the GS on display have the LED headlights?
The one in San Mateo had Halogen lights and did not include the "driving light" option, either.



Note that the parking light bulb is now inside the main headlamp, not separate like it is in the hexheads and camheads.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014