User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Jack D OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Australian insurance on US bike

A friend and I want to go to Australia and ship our own bikes there. We cannot find any company to insure our bikes. The shipping company sends bikes there all regularly from the USA and I cannot believe that they are all Aussie bikes returning home. Round the world riders must occasionally ride through Oz. If you have experience at this I would like to know what you have done for insurance. My friend is trying to do this on a limited budget and renting a bike would limit his trip to 10 days. He does not have enough cash on hand to buy a bike there and then resell it and even if the money was available we have not found an insurance company that will insure a foreign driver.
Jack the Yank
Jack D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Took my Finnish plated bike to Oz (Perth) in 2008. At least back then you had to contact the Department of Infrastructure and Planning to get the bike inspected for roadworthiness, then you got to buy the insurance.

Are you BTW sure you'll save money by taking your bikes there? For how long do you plan to stay?

Have you count in the freight charges there & back, carnet de passage, quarantine inspection*, roadworthiness test, and insurance? Gonna cost you more than 10 days rental I'm afraid.

* remember, those bikes really need to be clean as new, or your temporary import costs just skyrocketed.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Jack D OP
Adventurer

We intend to stay for at least 30 days. My friend has budgeted for the shipping. That budget would be about the same as 10 days rental of a GS.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
We intend to stay for at least 30 days. My friend has budgeted for the shipping. That budget would be about the same as 10 days rental of a GS.
And how much is that?
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Jack D OP
Adventurer

Quote:
And how much is that?
http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/motorcycle_rental.html
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
rabbitears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
even if the money was available we have not found an insurance company that will insure a foreign driver.
I'm 90% certain I have seen relevant discussion of this topic over on HUBB but I don't remember the conclusion, sorry. You might find this page helpful - it's written for cars but I don't see anything that suggests it is not applicable to motorcycles: http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

You don't need to be an Australian licence-holder, permanent resident or citizen to buy insurance here.
rabbitears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
Remember that you could lose a couple of days at each end of your trip sorting your bikes out to and from shipping, that is more than 10% of a 30 day trip and it is a bit of hassle in Oz, I know I have done it with my UK registerd bike, if the chap in the inspection department is a bit of an ass he might make a fuss about your right dipping headlight and mph speedo as well although this is unlikely so do look at renting again.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth

Mark Manley screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 10:30 PM Reason: more info
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote