Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,654
The CX650 drum brake didn't work with the VT800 wheel, so I ordered a VT800 brake. It fits perfectly:

Gotta love Honda parts-bin engineering.

I have proper wheel bearings on the way to match the VT800 wheel with the CX650 rear axle, so the only remaining issue with the rear wheel is that the drum brake plate has a 20mm hole. I need it to be 17mm. But looking at parts fiches, it looks like there is a bushing pressed into that hole that rides on the axle. The 650 brake plate is the same. I should be able to press out the bushings and swap them. Then I'll be ready to send the wheel off to Buchanan to have them lace a new rim to it.

Would it be better to have a 17" rear or an 18" rear? I'm not really sure. Most of the tires I'm looking at are available in either diameter.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #32
gkam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
The CX650 drum brake didn't work with the VT800 wheel, so I ordered a VT800 brake. It fits perfectly:

Would it be better to have a 17" rear or an 18" rear? I'm not really sure. Most of the tires I'm looking at are available in either diameter.
You have more choises for off road tires on the 18" rim.
Most on - off (dual sport) tires are 17".
gkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,440
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

I really wish I had more time to devote to this build, but I am always super busy at the end of the year (isn't everyone?) so I have only been able to work on the bike for an hour or so here and there. I want to ride this damn thing!

Anyway, I got out of work early today so I headed home and went out to the garage. I got my front wheel in the mail, so I mounted it up:

Looks nice on there. I have to make some spacers for it, it's sitting about an inch too far to the left right now. But nothing major. So then I was standing there staring at the thing and I decided it would look much nicer with an empty rear triangle. There's actually quite a bit of room between the tank and the frame, so I think I can hide most of the electronics up under there. I pulled out the airbox and battery box, and unwrapped the wiring harness looking to see where I could shorten it up. Turns out there's a nice long run of wires, about 16" or so, without any splices or connectors or anything, that I could just cut out of the harness to make it shorter. So, I took a deep breath, grabbed my wire cutters, and turned this:

Into this:

It was at this point that I discovered that I am out of solder. Oh, well. I'll get some time to work on it later this week. The scope of this build has gotten quite a bit bigger than I originally anticipated (doesn't it always?), but I like where it's headed.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #35
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 676
great stuff

Just want to say, keep up the good work. As a former cx500 owner I often have daydreams of getting another one and doing this kind of thing to it. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post
keep it coming, always enjoy these types of builds and I especially like the CX motorcycle.

SloMo, remember you said: " for the most part this should be pretty straightforward." I hope you are right and you won't have to eat those words. Good luck, thousands are watching....
Well, it's been a while, and this post certainly sticks out in my memory. Like most projects, things haven't gone quite to plan. Work, school, and purchasing a new house have really put this project on the back burner for me, but I'm hoping I can button it up before I have to leave my current place. I don't think I'm going to go "all the way" with this project anymore since I snagged a DR350 for $600 that will make a much better commuter and off-roader, but I hate leaving projects unfinished, so I'm at least going to get this back on the road, then probably sell it.

Unless someone is looking for a low-mile CX650 engine for a swap, that is.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,390
Bummer. I thin you have a very cool project on your hands. You have done the bulk of the hard work alread!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Bummer. I thin you have a very cool project on your hands. You have done the bulk of the hard work alread!
Well, if I can manage to sneak it into the new house without my better half noticing, maybe I can finish it up this summer. Right now she's convinced that 5 motorcycles are too many, for some strange reason...
Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,937
Hey Slo - what's up with your CX project?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,468
ya, looks like most of the hard stuff is done. should be pretty kool when completed. I did a project with the GL version of that bike.... possibly the most orphaned thing I've ever worked on. I have some sources...
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #41
SloMo228 OP
World Class Cheapass

I ended up donating the project to my brother to finish - he just got his MC endorsement and needed a bike, and I needed more room in the garage. I'll post up pictures as he goes along with whatever he's going to do with it. I was a little sad to see it go, always hate not finishing a project, but it will be cool to ride with my brother when he wraps it up and gets it on the road.