Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #106
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Looks like the results are in!! There is no bike that appeals to everyone! Every bike will leave a unique impression on every rider
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #107
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,015
K1300S. The engine was nice but I thought it would be a lot more comfortable than my S1000RR. It wasn't.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #108
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Owned - 1984 "Last Edition" BMW R100CS. Thing of beauty in pearlescent white. Low bars killed my ulnar (SP?) nerve. R100 bars made it rideable, but there was always something wrong with the damn thing. Oil leaks, diaphrrams, brakes warping, paint flaking, valves constantly needed adjustment,etc. This after 2 great BMWs.

Test rides - Vstrom 1k with full Give luggage. Love V twins and need a certain amount of practicality. Boring beyond belief on a 15 mile test ride.

2010 Triumph Scrambler. Really smooth motor, but otherwise cramped and boring. Spotty quality.

KLR. Hated it. Period. Which is weird because I love my similar DR.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #109
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Any bike I've owned actually.

Can't find a bike that fits me right. No matter if I get a different seat or bars or anything.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #110
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
would not pull 5th smoothly below 35mph, so town riding required 3k revs or more;
Why would you want to have any vehicle in 5th gear at 35MPH? Maybe some diesels. You could pull it of with a flathead, if you could find one that had a 5th gear.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #111
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
Interesting - looking back I realize I successfully swerved before I bought any of bikes I did not like :) except first real bike - russian boxer converted to "chopper". I was young and stupid but smart enough to get rid of damn thing ASAP.
But there was a few I managed to TEST before even thinking about buying....
Supertenere, new one - test rode it. It's comfy and OK but I actually did not like how it handled and how engine responded to throttle. Felt not as gutsy as my previous sport 90 degrees twin and not as quick on rpms pick up as il4.
Triumph Explorer, new one. Nice motor but it's about it for me . Too big and I sat too much "in the bike", making it a bit boring.
Back then - CBR600F. God, this thing was boring, incredible. And slower to 60 than Hornet. Comparing to Hornet 600 I had back then of course. But one heck of reliable bike, seems to last forever with no hiccup.
Old GPZ1100 - once rocket, 10 years later felt like unserviced volvo 740 on 2 wheels only much worse quality.
I hated all cruisers I ever tried except I tolerated: Honda Valkyrie Rune (I know, I know, but I rode it on smooth paved road and it handled surprisingly well) - that one I purely liked for tech involved. Rocket III - that thing just...dumb crazy. New Triumph Thunderbird 1600? 1700? I did not even ask - most balanced look and performance in cruiser imo. And not cliche unless customized with stupid chrome bits.
2 buells - X something 9 and 12 - great chassis, horrible motor.

The list goes on and on....
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #112
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Why would you want to have any vehicle in 5th gear at 35MPH? Maybe some diesels. You could pull it of with a flathead, if you could find one that had a 5th gear.
My current Yam 900 Diversion will do it. Most 'fours' will, even if they are sluggish there. The reason I might is that I live on the edge of London and it's 13 miles to the centre, almost all of which are in a 30mph speed limit. If traffic is light, 35mph is mostly OK - go slower and car drivers tail-gate me. There a couple of stretches where it is possible to roll at 35mph for a couple of miles. On them I like to trundle along in a high gear at low revs. The triple didn't like to do this. Maybe I should just ride faster...

I appreciate the usefulness of being in a better part of the torque curve if circumstances demand and that's exactly what I do; shifting gear is a pretty quick process.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #113
s&s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
H-D XR1200. Bike I really wanted to like but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I get more amusement out of my '97 883...
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #114
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,398
Quote:
My current Yam 900 Diversion will do it. Most 'fours' will, even if they are sluggish there. The reason I might is that I live on the edge of London and it's 13 miles to the centre, almost all of which are in a 30mph speed limit. If traffic is light, 35mph is mostly OK - go slower and car drivers tail-gate me. There a couple of stretches where it is possible to roll at 35mph for a couple of miles. On them I like to trundle along in a high gear at low revs. The triple didn't like to do this. Maybe I should just ride faster...

I appreciate the usefulness of being in a better part of the torque curve if circumstances demand and that's exactly what I do; shifting gear is a pretty quick process.
I guess it all depends on the triple. My Tiger'll do that just fine. The Daytona will too but it's been regeared so I suppose that doesn't count.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #115
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,237
R100GSPD Gutless, lots of shaking, noisy screen, heavy. And that was a well-sorted one with WP suspension and lots of love. Made my Tiger 900 feel like a GP bike. Yet much more recently, riding an R80GS on gravel, and then another sorted R100GS with Ohlins boingy bits, both seemed much more tolerable. Not spritely like I enjoy most, but well-rounded, satisfactory nonetheless and entirely fit-for-purpose.

H-D something or other, fairly basic 80ci softtail IIRC. Rented one for the day while on holiday in Hawaii, for a relaxing pootle around. Ergos completely all wrong for my body shape and size. Two-fifths of fcuk-all cornering clearance. Quirky handling that varied with speed differently to anything else I've ever ridden. I wanted to like them for what they are, but every positive thing seemed to be drowned out by several related negatives.

KDX125. I've ridden lots of little bikes and enjoyed them, but this thing had nothing below band, and only a fairly narrow band at all. I thought it'd be a peakier but weaker version of my 200EXC, or like a DR200 but with more zing, but it was just devoid of power. Maybe a longer ride would have helped, but in the end I was spanking it and wanting more all the time even when it was on the boil. Perhaps it wasn't jetted right, or something. Climbing off the 640A straight on to the 125 on rough, hilly tracks wouldn't have helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #116
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I guess it all depends on the triple. My Tiger'll do that just fine. The Daytona will too but it's been regeared so I suppose that doesn't count.
I guess. The RS would do it but it was oddly rumbly (not in a worn-out kind of way) as if each power pulse could be felt. There was an exact engine speed, IIRC around 2,900 rpm, where it would smooth out almost as if by magic. My feeling was that a heavier flywheel would have helped. Apparently the new 1200 Explorer and Trophy have one.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #117
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Of course, let's just ignore the fact that every human out there has slightly different anatomy from each other. You guys seem to forget that humans are not assembled in a factory to a set of specifications.

So while one person says "It is the single most uncomfortable bike I have ever been one" another will say "It is the MOST comfortable bike I have ever been on."

For me I CAN NOT ride feet forward bikes bikes due to a back injury yet I can ride most super sports all day long as the weight is off my spine. Some people have bad hips/knees and can't ride with their feet underneath or behind them. I think this may be one reason there are so many different kinds of motorcycle son the market and they all get a piece of the pie.
I'm not sure where the conflict is, other than in your head. I'm saying the exact same thing: everyone will have a different take on it. Give the reader(s) the option of hearing different input. Most of the bikes listed are reputed to be the "cat's meow," as a general rule. This is the opposing view for the reader to take or leave. Info is (most) always a good thing.

Pressing on.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #118
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I do it all the time, but in 6th gear. The Versys (Also hated here by some.) will do it all day long. The BEST practical, economical, fun public road bike ever, IMO. The perfect point of how folks take bikes differently. Interesting. Very cool, even.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #119
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

You can also add the 650 V-Strom to the list. It was a great bike mechanically, but utterly un-fun.
I'll second that. I sold a KLR to get a DL650. It was better technically in nearly every way, I just never seemed to want to ride it. After less than a year I sold it and bought another KLR.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #120
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
You'd love a stock Ducati 996! 35mph means slipping the clutch in 1st gear. I'm only slighty exagerating. In truth my 996 is the worst streetbike I've ever owned but it's still one of the last bikes I'd sell if I was liquidating the aviary.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote