OR IT's TIME FOR COUPLE WHEELIES ON YOU BRP, RIGHT
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #49157
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
OR IT's TIME FOR COUPLE WHEELIES ON YOU BRP, RIGHT
Going for a walk presents less opportunities for quality time with my friends in blue.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #49158
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Going for a walk presents less opportunities for quality time with my friends in blue.

Parking buildings and downtown areas probably have cameras.... You could be a You Tube star...

Good plan...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #49159
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Hey gang, I'm looking to add a windscreen to the 08 for the winter. I remember reading of at least two inmates who frequent this thread who use this model on their XRL's...

http://www.bikebandit.com/slipstream...eld-windshield

I'm 99.9% sure it will work but the website says otherwise and a person at Bikebandit, going by what the website tells him, agrees it will not fit.

Any help would be appreciated!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #49160
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey gang, I'm looking to add a windscreen to the 08 for the winter. I remember reading of at least two inmates who frequent this thread who use this model on their XRL's...

http://www.bikebandit.com/slipstream...eld-windshield

I'm 99.9% sure it will work but the website says otherwise and a person at Bikebandit, going by what the website tells him, agrees it will not fit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #49161
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
I myself have never considered usd forks. I ride my brp very hard, on tight single track trails, and don't feel the need for those on tight trails.
But they might serve well on fire roads or quad trails. I don't ride quad trails, and only ride fire roads for short periods to get to another trailhead. Plus on roads i ride and flick it on corners.
I will say though, of all mods, that would be my absolute last mod. Jmo

I like the stock forks, the bike rides like a nice comfy couch and I've taken it on some gnarly stuff no problem other than bottoming out easily on the bigger jumps. I have XRL forks on my 600R also, love them. That said, I'm hoping I will like it with the CRF450 forks even more. I think it will be nice to have both compression and rebound adjustments. I liked the 450 forks when I rode the 450 but of course that's a totally different animal. Can't wait to find out!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #49162
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102

Steve, is this the one?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #49163
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Features:

Stainless Steel Made
4 Sealed 1 1/4" Roller Bearings
100FT heavy Duty Rope
Come with Comouflage Carring Bag
1 Ton Capacity

Thanks, Bomber

Don't you love the Chinglish descriptions on the website? You have to give them credit for trying.

This dual-action pulley system is rated at "1 ton capacity." OK, so here is the question: Will it pull my XRL up a grade, with just me pulling on the rope, after a fall? (I also need an elk pulley, so this is double duty...)

At $30 it is worth a try, I suppose.

PD
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #49164
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Hello everyone, before I go too far this is my first post on ADV, I have lurked for a very long time on many of the popular XR websites but this seem to be the one the more "seasoned" riders and moders reside at. First i would like to thank you all for the great knowledge base and documentation of modifications as they have been inspirational towards my current project. second I would like to tell you all a story...

A long time ago...

A young man in a far away state...

Bought his first real motorcycle...

It was November 2007 Glendale AZ the young man was on his 3rd year of 6month stints for warm weather automotive testing, he over heard his co workers talking about riding on the weekends. Interested in having some fun and always wanting a dirt bike he had one in mind.. a XR650L. He fell in love with one back home in Michigan seeing it in the work parking lot a dirt bike completely fitted for the street in one package... air cooled simplicity and after some minor research found it was as reliable as a claw hammer.. he knew this was the bike for him, oh what a fool that young man was. With the bug planted he traveled to the nearest Honda dealer and looked at the lineup for offload machines, there was the XR650L that he lusted after, a XR650R a unknown as the man never even heard of one and the CRF450X. To give the man some credit he did consider the alternatives if only for a minuet the fact they both had radiators in vulnerable locations irked him knowing he was a rookie who would crash allot, the lack of a street legal title also bothered him moving to buy a brand new XR650L.

The first few times he went out in the local Glendale aria with his friends it was actually quite enjoyable until the hill sections, rutty arias, or twisty turns, he didn't realize the bike was geared way too high or the fact the stock tires simply would not perform as true off road tires would and that picking up 300+ plus pounds when the rider weighs 150 with gear gets quite tiring. The trip that almost made him give up was Glamis California.. the sand is no place for this rider with this bike in stock trim plus a paddle tire, after more crashing then normal and a nasty ankle injury he was ready to call it quits, the bike was just too heavy and he felt that the bike rode him. Determined he would still try to ride the BRP he took the next week of riding off and spend allot of time reading up on the mods and tweaks to make her rideable. Several hundred dollars later and a couple night staying late at work got him allot closer to a rideable bike. The last 2 rides before heading home for the season were the best of any out door experience he could of wished for the Bradshaw mounters and a trip up to Sedona. With the upgraded tires and gearing he was leading the pack of XR400s and quads his friends just all thought he was a sucky rider little did they realize he was still a sucky rider but on a much improved machine. After the Sedona ride was cut short due to poking a hole in the stator cover he headed home not yet to return to the beautiful landscape he was lucky enough to see.

Once back home the young man questioned his career and moved to a more permanent position at a suppler were he is still today with no more traveling to the west. After sitting for about a year and a half the XR was finally repaired and ridden a bit in some city property across from his home, during these rides he was reminded what he loved about the bike and what its limitations were with his small stature leading him to once again think about selling the BRP. With his interest re kindled he started reading the forums much more closely and watching what people were doing with there XR 600s and 650s, he read up on the impossible horsepower numbers Stepho, Fab shack racing and of new Cycewizard are getting out of there l motors, he followed tons of offload/dual sport to supermoto builds, and fabrication threads before again deciding not to give up. He had made up his mind he wanted the thrill and pure fun of being on a bike again, with the new knowledge and inspiration that the XR650L is a canvas that can be painted to almost any portrait of the motorcycle world he set out to build his XR into the bike he wanted.

the story ends there guys, for now.. and thanks for reading and being a true inspiration.

Two things,

One, I'm about as drunk as Brian after a holiday weekend bender so if i seem dumber then the average inmate take that into consideration.

Two, i would like to post some progress of the project and shed some of my "lurker" status would it be better in a separate thread or would it be better to post em up in this topic?
Schultz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #49165
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Welcome aboard......I use to live in Payson,Az......great place for DS. but i did not have my BRP then, and now we are back in Santa Rosa,Ca......stay drunk my friend.....
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #49166
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,474
Schultz... you found the right bike and the right place!
I need another beer
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #49167
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
So...

On my ride home this afternoon I realized that my headlight was out. I thought, no big deal, I'll just switch on the high beam.

No high beam either, or high beam indicator. Tail/brake/signals all still work.

I'm thinking fuse. Anyone concur? Didn't have time to look into it today. Gonna tackle it tomorrow.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #49168
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post

Steve, is this the one?

Yes, this is the one.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #49169
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
So...

On my ride home this afternoon I realized that my headlight was out. I thought, no big deal, I'll just switch on the high beam.

No high beam either, or high beam indicator. Tail/brake/signals all still work.

I'm thinking fuse. Anyone concur? Didn't have time to look into it today. Gonna tackle it tomorrow.

The plug melted off the back of my light. Repaired by sodering on new FM spade connections to the ends of the wires and shrink tube.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #49170
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
??????????

Am I the only one getting the double underline in orange link shit? ( see above post, shrink tube as an example)
What do I do to end?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote