Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #10906
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
I may wrong, but my interpretation was that the "someone" referred to was not you, Snownut, but whoever wrote the warning in the first place.
That may be the case, I didn't take it personal.. I'm really not a hot head, just was rubbed wrong last week..
Snownut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #10907
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 977
Dia de Gracias

I'll be spending much of today in the kitchen getting ready for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow. It has become a tradition that I, el gringo viejo/el gringo loco prepare a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner and invite my neighbors and hotel guests. They offer to bring dishes but I politely decline. "Yes, I love your tamales but there is no need to bring them, I have so much food here. We will have some of your wonderful tamales next week. "

So Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, maybe some steamed carrots and calabasitos. apple and pPumpkin pie for desert. Maybe a little Bacanora after dinner.

Buen Provechvo!
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #10908
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I'll be spending much of today in the kitchen getting ready for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow. It has become a tradition that I, el gringo viejo/el gringo loco prepare a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner and invite my neighbors and hotel guests. They offer to bring dishes but I politely decline. "Yes, I love your tamales but there is no need to bring them, I have so much food here. We will have some of your wonderful tamales next week. "
That makes a lovely tradition even lovelier.
So then, will you have the wonderful tamales for Christmas?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #10909
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Interesting Find for Kids

For the hotel coffee table:

"If you’re looking for a heart-warming story that blends together some of the traditions of Latino culture with the American Thanksgiving holiday, Gracias is an excellent choice. The story of young Miguel, who receives a live turkey from his father, a truck driver, to fatten up for Thanksgiving. Only problem is, Miguel and his abuelos live in an apartment in New York city! The book follows the adventures of Miguel and "Gracias," as well as their budding friendship. I enjoyed how the book clearly demonstrates the love that Miguel’s abuelos have for him through the manner in which they allow the turkey into their lives. Turkey for Thanksgiving? Hmmmm. Well, how about pollo instead?

The book is available in English or Spanish. I have the Spanish version, which does use a few English words embedded in the text, but not many. The English version has some beginner’s Spanish sprinkled throughout the text as well. Both contain a glossary at the end.

Cepeda’s illustrations are very warm and engaging. His oil paintings bring to mind those of Ezra Jack Keats and easily capture a child’s attention.

An excellent multicultural book for Thanksgiving. It provides parents and teachers with the opportunity to discuss the importance of family, types of families, and things for which children might be thankful.

The LBBC has this and many other titles related to Thanksgiving in our bookshop. If you would like to buy your own copy of Gracias el pavo de Thanksgiving, please click here. Or you can follow the link in our sidebar to the LBBC’s on-line store. We have both new and gently used copies available."

LINK
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #10910
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
I mentioned to my wife it was thanksgiving this week. She said "shall I get a turkey?"

I said, "You're Mexican, I'm British and we don't live there anymore, so why on earth would we celebrate an American holiday?" She smiled and said, after living there 10 years it had become a habit.

Have fun you guys. All my clients are in the US, so your time off is my time off!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #10911
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
But I can count on 1 hand the number of American tourists murdered in Mexico in the last 3 years.

If you are that afraid, then don't come. A little fear can be good to keep one on their toes but people paralyzed by fear are a danger to themselves and to others. So if that's you, don't come. On the other hand, if you know yourself and you know how to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention then come down and ride. You will not regret it.

Saludos

Mostly agree TC, except for that "count the murders on one hand" part.

From a Huff Post/Lonely Planet blog:
What you don't get from most reports in the US [about Mexico] is statistical evidence that Americans are less likely to face violence in Mexico than at home, particularly when you zero in on Mexico's most popular travel destinations. For example, the gateway to Disney World, Orlando, saw 7.5 murders per 100,000 residents in 2010 according to the FBI; this is higher than Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, with rates of 1.83 and 5.9 respectively, per a Stanford University report (see data visualization here, summarized on this chart, page 21). Yet in March, the Texas Department of Public Safety advised against "spring break" travel anywhere in Mexico, a country the size of the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy combined. Never mind that popular destinations like the Bahamas, Belize and Jamaica have far higher homicide rates (36, 42 and 52 per 100,000). Why the singular focus?
1. Mexico may be more dangerous than the US overall, but not for Americans.
According to FBI crime statistics, 4.8 Americans per 100,000 were murdered in the US in 2010. The US State Department reports that 120 Americans of the 5.7 million who visited Mexico last year were murdered, which is a rate of 2.1 of 100,000 visitors. Regardless of whether they were or weren't connected to drug trafficking, which is often not clear, it's less than half the US national rate.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #10912
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #10913
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:

So Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, sweet potatoes, maybe some steamed carrots and calabasitos. apple and pPumpkin pie for desert. Maybe a little Bacanora after dinner.

Buen Provechvo!
Sounds like a tasty and fun tradition! Happy holidays to you & yours.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #10914
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Mostly agree TC, except for that "count the murders on one hand" part.

The US State Department reports that 120 Americans of the 5.7 million who visited Mexico last year were murdered, which is a rate of 2.1 of 100,000 visitors. Regardless of whether they were or weren't connected to drug trafficking, which is often not clear, it's less than half the US national rate.
I'll make a distinction between visitors and tourists. There are lots of American citizens murdered in the border towns. Many are there for nefarious purposes and almost none are tourists. US DEA employees and consular employees are in the count as well. So I'll cop to under counting "on 1 hand" but 120 is too high for tourists.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #10915
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
I said, "You're Mexican, I'm British and we don't live there anymore, so why on earth would we celebrate an American holiday?" She smiled and said, after living there 10 years it had become a habit.
Pfft. Last year I made a pork shoulder!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #10916
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
For the hotel coffee table:
"If you’re looking for a heart-warming story that blends together some of the traditions of Latino culture with the American Thanksgiving holiday, Gracias is an excellent choice.
LINK
Thanks Trice, I'll see if I can pick one up.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #10917
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
That may be the case, I didn't take it personal.. I'm really not a hot head, just was rubbed wrong last week..
FWIW,I like people with a backbone.esp. the ones that are willing to take the time to explain themselves & move on.
Back to-Is Mexico safe? yes , most of the time.Is the highway safe, yes most of us make it home by exercising caution. Is the world safe for that matter? Often not, but mostly we move along with our lives and enjoy the high spots. It's all relative.
Fact: Mexico has one hell of a problem & best not to belittle it with USA ghetto comparisons.Mexico is to go & enjoy the people & the place, the ghetto is decidedly not that way. Lets put it in my personal perspective:The day will come for me to be too old to ride those long trips-@ 69 that time is in sight! Now is my time. I cannot wait until the druggies here no longer want the crap nor until the drug lords are all dead because now is my time! As long as there is a realistic notion that I'll make it home from Mexico & see my grandkids again , then I'll keep going. Say whatever about Detroit,New Orleans or some other urban cesspool/shithole place(take no offense if you live there in the burbs is most likely if at all & your on ADV)) but I'll just go on living my life with some places on my "to avoid list". FWIW, I'm a BB fan & we go to a ballpark in some of those dangerous cities now & then & try to make it a safe/smart trip. Mexico I do the same thing.
I will say that some of the Mexico statistics as Migueleto presented, are a bit skewed by the fact that most gringos that travel to Mexico are going to a "travel destination" that's a sheltered situation . If we compared Disneyland to the urban area of Orlando,i.e., the ghetto part, you'd likely get much different figures. Same as the figures from Mexico are mostly coming from Cancun type places,i.e., the hotel zone, where very sheltered trips take place.

kantuckid screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 02:33 PM
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #10918
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
i have several friends who use that facility and all say it's top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
I was the one who asked about it months ago and this is where I ended up:

http://vallartastorage.com/English/contacto.php

This place is great!! Well I guess maybe I should wait until I pick my bike up!!!

But they were great when I dropped off. Over the top professional and polite. 24 hour security and electric fence. You must sign in with photo ID to even get to your own unit. To add a person you need to email a pic. They can do all transactions through email and with CC.

I will let you know the condition of the bike on the 26th but I felt very good about everything when I left.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #10919
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Sounds like a tasty and fun tradition! Happy holidays to you & yours.
Oh I certainly hope so.

Heading down in the morning.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #10920
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Pavos

I will never forget the scene in "Giant" where the beautifully browned turkey is brought to the table and the little kids who had raised him and named him Pedro said with trembling lip "Pedro?" and grandma says "Yes dear" They came unglued. It was a memorable scene for a ten year old boy... that and the "low life" Jett Rink striking a gusher and driving up to the fancy ranch house covered in oil saying "I'm a rich'un" Bought the awl patch home at an early age.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We are truly blessed in our lives and in this "association of comrades" (no not the pinko kind). It is a great word that got some bad cred.

Blessings,

David
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote