Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #18121
TwoWheeldTerror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Agreed, but WHY do they not do it? I can give you at least one of my main reasons...because to do that puts your bike at risk of getting dropped.

I have done race and course schools, did a bit of WERA racing, and try to ride the Pace and smartly every time I do. I also practice maximum straight line braking skills.

With that said, I do not go out and put my 600lb+ bike covered in plastic at risk of getting dropped (read $$$ to fix) for training. I know I will probably get flamed for that but at least it is the truth, as I am sure it is for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry
TwoWheeldTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #18122
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Here is what I believe catches folks out. They practice (IF they practice) for riding. Most guys want to ride roughly the speed limit, know how to shift, brake, turn, for normal, everyday, ride the speed limit riding.

The guys that crash at 20mph, and the sport bike assholes, do NOT practice for "OH SHIT, I need to brake HARD". Or "Oh shit, I need to brake HARD and then TURN very sharply". Nor do they practice this at the speeds that dumb luck toss it out at you. So people who only practice riding in a nice straight line, within the speed limit, ONLY know how to ride that way.

If you don't practice panic/threshold braking from various speeds, and extremely aggressive bike handling/maneuvering at various speeds, you have zippy frame of reference when life happens. Is what it is. Practice, or don't.

Barry
First off you can't practice for Oh Shit moments! If you could they would be lets do this again moments!
So by going to Star/CSBS/Barber schools and track days where others and even though I have been doing this for 36 years routinely ask the instructors and the guys that are just plain better than me for tips. Is that not practice? Why are sport bike guys any bigger Asshole's than you latte drinking BMW poser asshole's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeldTerror View Post
Agreed, but WHY do they not do it? I can give you at least one of my main reasons...because to do that puts your bike at risk of getting dropped.

I have done race and course schools, did a bit of WERA racing, and try to ride the Pace and smartly every time I do. I also practice maximum straight line braking skills.

With that said, I do not go out and put my 600lb+ bike covered in plastic at risk of getting dropped (read $$$ to fix) for training. I know I will probably get flamed for that but at least it is the truth, as I am sure it is for most.
I would and do take all of my bikes to the Track and practice riding them at the edge of my ability. Everyone should test their skill and their bike every now and again and again. It makes decision making moments on the street go your way more often than not. There will be things that crop up on the street that you cannot practice for, but having an intimate knowledge of your's and the bike's capability can never hurt!
The money for fixing your plastics is a lot less than 3 days in ICU and 6 months of PT.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #18123
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Why are sport bike guys any bigger Asshole's than you latte drinking BMW poser asshole's?
Wait... I resemble that comment.. I think... .oh yeah.... I don't do latte's.

You made some good points. Yes I have taken my big tank of a beemer to the track and have learned a lot. I wish I could do it monthly. Yes I have learned you can do a lot of braking and maneuvering even while cornering. Even there things come up like when a coach waved me past after some following as so he then slowed from about 70 as I opened the throttle on an S1000rr only to have another track student think he was just called over to the side where the coach had slowed. He cut across in front of me to pull in behind the slowing coach. I stopped hard, harder than I thought I could. hard enough I think the rear wheel might have lifted a bit, but not hard enough for the abs to kick in. So there is more braking possible. BUT.... a HUGE BUT....
I fixed on the target. My space was limited but I fixed on the rear wheel of the other rider. It was there that I queued up directly behind him. If I had chosen to use a little of the space to either side I would have had a foot or two more room to brake. As it was it was close enough that I couldn't see space between his rear wheel and my front.

NEED MORE PRACTICE!!! Where do I sign up.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #18124
NCStephen
Riding NC

edit = http://csvictoryvisionrides.blogspot...gon-et-al.html

I was grabbing a pic and was taken in by this..... are you?

It is a static shot. See the blog link above.

NCS

76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #18125
shovelstrokeed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
edit = http://csvictoryvisionrides.blogspot...gon-et-al.html

I was grabbing a pic and was taken in by this..... are you?

It is a static shot. See the blog link above.

NCS

Gotta give him a little credit, while he didn't hang off a bit and help the bike, he hung with it long past the point where a crash was a near certainty instead of bailing. Maybe he just froze, I noticed a pretty tight looking grip on the left bar, angle is wrong to see what with and how hard the seat is being gripped. I too taken in, didn't realize it was static.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #18126
NCStephen
Riding NC

not static
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #18127
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Where's the fail? Triumph bike, Triumph jacket. Clearly he's a Brit.
Might lose his wallet
Old 11-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #18128
TwoWheeldTerror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
My 5'7", 170lb self LOVES my 600lb+ sport-touring FJR pig. Arguably the best bike I have ever owned (from sportbikes to a cruiser).

I, and most of my ST friends do not like the new VFR because it brings little to the table that is not already out there for less. Besides who the hell builds an ST and has the bags as OPTIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i agree that h-d is all about marketing, and they have it down. whether they can successfully extend it to newer riders, is still an open question, and much debated amongst motorcyclists. (and marketing guys.)

i don't like h-d the company simply cuz it eff'd erik buell. i don't like the h-d bikes cuz they're about as exciting to ride as a toyota camry is to drive. (imo, of course.) i have nothing against h-d riders or owners, and i don't think they ride like twats. most i have seen ride like old ladies, but at least most know to keep outta the fast lane. so, i got no problem w/that. and i got no problem w/whatever reason it is they wanna own and/or ride these bikes. that's their deal, not mine.

re: the vfr1200, as someone who owned the original '83 interceptor, and who has a relative w/a more modern vfr, i can tell you the reason that honda can't give away the new 1200vfr has nothing to do w/being able to describe who a honda rider is. (whatever that means.) it has everything to do with it being a bike that was built for a market that does not exist. the vfr1200 is a big fat 600lb pig. touring guys want something more touring oriented, sport guys want something more sport oriented, and no sport-touring guys want a big fat 600lb motorcycle. my vfr800 owning relative is a big guy about 6'-4", 240, (not fat); he checked out the new 1200vfr and said his 1200v-strom is a much better ride...

ymmv,

doug s.
TwoWheeldTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #18129
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelstrokeed View Post
Gotta give him a little credit, while he didn't hang off a bit and help the bike, he hung with it long past the point where a crash was a near certainty instead of bailing. Maybe he just froze, I noticed a pretty tight looking grip on the left bar, angle is wrong to see what with and how hard the seat is being gripped. I too taken in, didn't realize it was static.

From his blog.

We ride on a little further, and we stop so Adam can take my picture with the Vision tipped over so it looks like I'm screaming around a curve. Cool picture.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #18130
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

Jeans, inside your boots.........................That's soooo 1980's Daharling..................

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #18131
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Those M109R's are turds in the twisties.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #18132
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
Have you ever done an emergency stop on a bike like that?

It's a built in cup.
Very forward thinking design.

First, I don't think that bike will brake fast/well enough to require such protective gear. So my best WAG is that is some sort of massage equipment, like something with the name, "Magic Fingers"? Maybe "Stimulus Package"? If I can come up with a 'second', I will post again.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #18133
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
Jeans, inside your boots.........................That's soooo 1980's Daharling..................
Many moons ago, a big time bike journo in the Colonies crossed The Pond to ride with the Brits and Euros to see if they were any better than us, riding skill-wise? At the end of the report piece, he wrote that the only difference that he could find was that they preferred to tuck their pant culls into the boots and we preferred to leave them out. I have no idea if this sartorial biker style is still in vogue over there?

If this rider is a Brit, then he is probably having a 'home' moment temporarily riding on the correct side of the tarmac?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #18134
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
not static
Nicely done on the 109R..
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #18135
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
First off you can't practice for Oh Shit moments! If you could they would be lets do this again moments!
So by going to Star/CSBS/Barber schools and track days where others and even though I have been doing this for 36 years routinely ask the instructors and the guys that are just plain better than me for tips. Is that not practice? Why are sport bike guys any bigger Asshole's than you latte drinking BMW poser asshole's?

I would and do take all of my bikes to the Track and practice riding them at the edge of my ability. Everyone should test their skill and their bike every now and again and again. It makes decision making moments on the street go your way more often than not. There will be things that crop up on the street that you cannot practice for, but having an intimate knowledge of your's and the bike's capability can never hurt!
The money for fixing your plastics is a lot less than 3 days in ICU and 6 months of PT.
I have no idea what your post suggests... I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not. I suggested practicing and building skills and it seems like you suggest doing the same, and attending high performance riding schools, clinics ,and track days. So... maybe we agree. You CAN practice for times where you need to do other than simply ride down the road at the speed limit safely. And you should practice.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:22 PM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote