User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #121
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
I guess I am lucky....

.......I still own all three of the bikes I have purchased in my life.

Having said that, I have dumped a TON of money into all three to modify all of them to fit MY BODY type.

I firmly believe that ANY bike that ANYONE buys will have to be custom fitted to its owner.

As far as the V-Stroms being boring. Absolutely Boring. Yes they are. Which is why they are AWESOME!!!!!

What's the old curse? "May you live in interesting times"?

I put a Scorpion exhaust can on the V-Strom and completely replaced the suspension. She's a lot more fun, and just as reliable. Costs coin, however, to reach that point.

I have the Monster and the RC51 for "non-boring" rides.

My thoughts are that since every bike needs money spent on it to make it comfy for your body, you should just buy the machine that appeals to you and understand that you WILL add a new seat, windscreen, shock, fork internals, pegs, rearsets, etc., to make it comfy for YOU.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #122
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
I always find it interesting how people react to different bikes. I notice that with mature riders, it's usually ergonomics.

I've had two great BMWs, boxers, prior to my current one, and have some nits, but I'm not going there.

Rinty screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 11:01 AM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #123
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I always find it interesting how people react to different bikes. I notice that with mature riders, it's usually ergonomics.

I've had two great BMWs, boxers, prior to my current one, and have some nits, but I'm not going there.
True.

Fun thread to read. Age affects a lot. Bikes I loved as kid now would make me go "meh". As a youngster I would have laughed at the road sofa I ride now. Life changes.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #124
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:

Agreed. Someone said they didn't like the Tiger 800XC because it had bad air flow, was too tall, and too squirly. Those all sound like selling points to me. Raw experience, good ground clearance, and manueverable...

All the discussion about feet forward seating position on cruisers got me thinking, though. What do you do to lift your butt off the seat to regain blood flow when cruising on the highway for extended periods? I was beginning to be tempted by the HD V-Rod, until I thought about that...Maybe brace your feet on the pegs and pull on the handlebars until your butt lifts off the seat? I'd hate to think what would happen if one hand slipped while trying to do that.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #125
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,629
I think you're right, ergonomics is a big factor. With long arms and legs I've modified every bike I've owned to make them more comfortable. Why don't they make bikes more adjustable?

Quote:
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #126
A.S.F.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
2005 Z750s. I read all the reviews and thought to myself, I can fix the crap seat and put up with the buzzing......
Rode it for a few thousand miles, didn't like it the whole time, didn't change a thing and sold it.
A.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #127
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

All the discussion about feet forward seating position on cruisers got me thinking, though. What do you do to lift your butt off the seat to regain blood flow when cruising on the highway for extended periods? I was beginning to be tempted by the HD V-Rod, until I thought about that...Maybe brace your feet on the pegs and pull on the handlebars until your butt lifts off the seat? I'd hate to think what would happen if one hand slipped while trying to do that.
Add a backrest. Then you can push against it with your back with your feet on the pegs/floorboards. Lifts your butt. Doesn't require any arm pull. I ride with no hands, butt off the saddle on my Road Glide just for amusement on long rides.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #128
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Never had an issue with blood flow or sore butt on a cruiser, but I've swapped all the seats for a hard ass Corbin.

When riding a non cruiser, I feel the need to "stand" or hang my legs off the pegs simply to stretch my legs/knees. After a cross country trip on a Tiger 1050 I was jonesing bad for my '06 Street Glide just 3 days into a 10 day ride. Sold the Tiger (which I really thought was going to replace the Harley as my distance touring bike) 2 weeks after returning home from the trip. Traded the Street Glide on a '12 Road Glide 6 months after selling the Tiger. Yep, it's a heavy pig but damn comfortable and can be ridden much more spirited than many will ever know.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #129
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
i had a 13 years old malaguti '77 moped, 30 cc, 2 stroke we rode in gravel. It could not climb a 1% grade and I think my father chainsaw was less smelly and less noisy...

What? that the only other bike I know... cant complain about my "perfect" ninja 650r
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #130
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
.....Traded the Street Glide on a '12 Road Glide 6 months after selling the Tiger. Yep, it's a heavy pig but damn comfortable and can be ridden much more spirited than many will ever know.

Absolutely. I've never owned a cruiser....only even ridden a couple. The new-framed Road Glide was one of them. Really, really nice bike. Shockingly so.

And to stay on topic with this thread....1200GSA for me. It was a strange relationship I had with that thing. Not to be misunderstood, it was one of the finest motorcycles I've ever ridden. When I've been on longish rides I've missed it terribly. An absolute dream for long hauls, and as most know, well-acquitted in the bendy stuff. If I can afford a multi-bike stable one day, I'll own one again for distance work, no question. But as an all-around, one-bike-to-rule-them-all (which is what it is often labeled as) for the mostly local riding I do, it was too much of a good thing, and just not very inspiring.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #131
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
The past,

Back in 1985 bought a K100RT, and thought it was a good machine, so when a low mileage, totally stock 1985 K100RS came up for sale at a local BMW dealer I took a look and test rode it and ended up buying it. I put a summer's worth of riding on it and it ran as well as could be expected.

What I found was that it was indeed a 27 year old motorcycle. The shifting was poor, and the handling was not the best, doing the old "tail wag" when pushed to hard in the corners. It had a lot of good features, but I was glad to pass it on, and go back to riding a new motorcycle.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #132
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
2001 CBR929RR. Only bike I've ever owned that I just didn't "make friends" with. Couldn't find it's "happy place" on the street or on the track. My lap times were probably just as good on an SV650 that I could just thrash. Put less than 1K on it. Traded it and a VFR straight up for an RSV Mille.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #133
nimbus9
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I started out on a 2011 Triumph Bonneville and rode it for 3500 miles before realizing I had the wrong bike. Things begin to look grim when I was trying to turn the bike into something it wasn't - that is something more like the Speed Triple which I ended up trading the Bonerville in for.

I came back from a 700 mile ride and found that lack of high-end power made me bored of reading bumper stickers as I lacked the power to overtake other vehicles on mountain roads. I also learned that I don't care for chrome.

I test drove a ducati streetfighter thinking I would give another manufacturer a go. The ergonomics did not instill me with confidence and I did not care for being almost over the front bars. Driving it only a short time left me with a feeling of needing to wear and Affliction t-shirt and ride up and down Venice beach. It had one of those ridiculously overpriced exhausts and it had a loud, throaty growl but really did not see the low rev torque that the Triple had in heaps.
nimbus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #134
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I do it all the time, but in 6th gear.
Vive la difference!

I studiously avoid such carry-on. Most riding instructors say you should always be in a gear that responds briskly to the throttle = about 3d maybe 4th gear on most bigger bikes at urban cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #135
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I do it all the time, but in 6th gear. The Versys (Also hated here by some.) will do it all day long. The BEST practical, economical, fun public road bike ever, IMO. The perfect point of how folks take bikes differently. Interesting. Very cool, even.
Even when they both like the same bike. For example, I love that bike, but I can't imagine riding mine that way. Aren't you lugging it at 35MPH in 6th?

If you want to accelerate hard, all you need to do is downshift...4 gears.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote