Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #736
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemd View Post
I picked up an older one yesterday from the original owner. 1200 miles, rebuilt carb but needs carb mount screw/head thread work and tires because the original 32-year old Bridgestones still on it. Does run but likes the choke probably because of air leak at carb/head gasket.

This was the bike in Stallone's First Blood movie. Cool fact...
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #737
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
I do have a 32" inseam so looks like I will have to pass on it they seem like difficult bikes to sell in my area as well so probably not worth the chance on it. thanks guys.
I wouldn't be so quick to pass on that bike.... For guys who are only going to have ONE bike and it needs to do double duty, it makes sense to have a 400 or 650. You need the extra ooomph on the paved roads to get to the trails.

Sure, they also give you more power on hard packed and dirt but unless you have the dirt experience and are wanting to go balls to the wall ....you don't need all that power. Like Ron said, you give up flickability, you gain oomph.

I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam and for me, on the tight trails, in the woods, in the sand, climbing up hills, in the mud and on the hard packed stuff.... it's great. BUT.... I don't ride it to the trails. I trailer it. For me to get to decent trails it's a 50 mile pavement ride one way.

Is it a little heavy? Yes. Would I rather have a faster bike like a KTM? Sure. Am I willing to spend $$$$ for a KTM and deal with all the maintenance BS ? No.

If I know I'm going to be riding longer distances, or on a lot of pavement and / or I'm not going to be in the deep, nasty chit, I take the F800.

This is where have multiple bikes has it's advantages. It's like shoes. You have your boots, your sneakers and your dress shoes..... each has it's own purpose.

The XT is simple and a blast to ride ON THE TRAILS. Many of us have a tendency to over complicate things with bigger, faster, etc., Don't buy into that.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
My 2 cents.
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #738
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,154
Here is Kitty Kat - my new little buddy.

and the day before......

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #739
Tails_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
My first bike

OK, so you inspired me to find an old slide of my first bike, the XT 250, and scan it!
This is a Euro-spec version from around 1981.
Tails_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #740
stevemd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Any hop-up tips for the older XT250

1980 in my case. I have to pull the carb anyway to replace the carb to head rubber/metal connection. The po had the carb professionally rebuilt but I will check the jet #'s, needle position, float level, etc when I have it off.

Any one rebuilt the fuel petcock with commonly available parts vs dealer parts?

Thanks,

steve
stevemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #741
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
I remember that because my friend had the exact same year boke, and I made the mistake of getting the 125, which had zero guts. Since you seem to know First Blood, watch the scene where he knocks the guy off the bike. They make a footpeg extension that's about a foot long to make it easier for Stallone to pick up without the levers getting damaged. I'm not sure if it was throttle side either, but it might have been done to prevent it from going WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
This was the bike in Stallone's First Blood movie. Cool fact...
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #742
jegarh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Sprocket change

Last night I mounted a 14T countershaft sprocket. I have Dunlop 606's mounted and the 15T was marginal trying to spin the larger tires. It has made a noticable change in the percieved power. This week end I will try it out on some big climbs and report back to the inmates.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #743
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,517
Where is the 2013 XT250 thread?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #744
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Same place as the 2008 thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #745
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
You are in it, lets see some pics.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #746
HeadPoseur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
Last night I mounted a 14T countershaft sprocket. I have Dunlop 606's mounted and the 15T was marginal trying to spin the larger tires. It has made a noticable change in the percieved power. This week end I will try it out on some big climbs and report back to the inmates.
I did the 606's with a 14t also, makes it so your can really crawl in 1st gear if you want/need to and also makes 2nd gear a little more usable in tight woods (for me) as well as quicker acceleration in all gears. Obvious downside is top speed suffers somewhat and the speedo seems way out of whack now, wondering if anyone with this setup and a GPS could test the accuracy for us. I have seen a 12 O'Clock Labs electronic speedo calibrator (saw it at Wheeling Cycle) that would be able to correct any speedo problems caused by tire and/or sprocket changes. Anyone tried one of these?
HeadPoseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #747
jegarh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Adapting a Cateye bicycling computer.

I have been toying with mounting a Cateye bicycle computer on the front fork leg. It is cheap enough and will give me a very accurate speedometer at least until it gets torn off in the brush. Has anybody tried this?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #748
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegarh View Post
I have been toying with mounting a Cateye bicycle computer on the front fork leg. It is cheap enough and will give me a very accurate speedometer at least until it gets torn off in the brush. Has anybody tried this?

I have one on my granddaughters TTR50 it works fine great for maintenance intervals I was amazed I could calibrate it to the front tire (13 IIRK) but it works!!!
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #749
maverick1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
XT225 vs XT250

I am in the market for a dual sport and was wondering the pros and cons of each bike...XT225 vs XT250.
I had a DRZ400s but never rode it because I just didn't feel comfortable on the bike, as I'm only 5'7" tall.
There is a used XT250 on Craigslist with 9,000 miles on it. That seemed like a lot of mileage, is there such thing as too much mileage when buying a used bike?
When inspecting a used bike, with the XT's is there anything in particular to look for?
cheers
maverick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #750
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
I am in the market for a dual sport and was wondering the pros and cons of each bike...XT225 vs XT250.
I had a DRZ400s but never rode it because I just didn't feel comfortable on the bike, as I'm only 5'7" tall.
There is a used XT250 on Craigslist with 9,000 miles on it. That seemed like a lot of mileage, is there such thing as too much mileage when buying a used bike?
When inspecting a used bike, with the XT's is there anything in particular to look for?
cheers
Hi Maverick,

I did over 75,000 miles on an XT250 over 3 1/2 years, without the need for any work on the engine or chassis.

As the 250 doesn't have grease nipples on the suspension linkage and the bike shows signs of off roading, I'd check that area for excess wear.

Other than that it's just the normal points to check that you'd perform on any used bike.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote