ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #26116
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Qouting myself 'cause I'm cool like that.

And these clipless pedals are weird! I am glad I didn't go to the trails for the first ride. I will get used to them, but I think I almost fell every single time I came to a stop. Not a natural feel at all! Just have to train my brain what to do when stopping, but it will come.

Soft ground is good for the first few times! I had just gotten a new pair of time Atac's back in '99, and was fooling around in a neighbors driveway. I did a wheelie, bounced off a pine tree, and landed shoulder first on gravel. Couldn't unclip in time with fresh cleats. 3rd degree AC separation... Good luck!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #26117
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Qouting myself 'cause I'm cool like that.

And these clipless pedals are weird! I am glad I didn't go to the trails for the first ride. I will get used to them, but I think I almost fell every single time I came to a stop. Not a natural feel at all! Just have to train my brain what to do when stopping, but it will come.
I rode with flats for the first time in months. It was horrible. I had to keep readjusting my foot placement, and I couldn't generate anywhere near the power I had with clipless pedals. It made the bike feel 30 lbs heavier! Once you get used to clipless, there's no going back.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #26118
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Soft ground is good for the first few times! I had just gotten a new pair of time Atac's back in '99, and was fooling around in a neighbors driveway. I did a wheelie, bounced off a pine tree, and landed shoulder first on gravel. Couldn't unclip in time with fresh cleats. 3rd degree AC separation... Good luck!
It could have been worse. You could have broken your hip and needed surgery to put the pieces back together. Like someone else I know.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #26119
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It could have been worse. You could have broken your hip and needed surgery to put the pieces back together. Like someone else I know.

Wow, no kidding. I'm still amazed that you could do that much damage to yourself tipping over!!!!!! You seem to have gotten over it pretty well!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #26120
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Wow, no kidding. I'm still amazed that you could do that much damage to yourself tipping over!!!!!! You seem to have gotten over it pretty well!
It was an unusual accident. The doctor said that had I been moving at the time, it would have been a glancing blow, unlikely to result in a fracture. Good thing they had three long screws handy.

__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #26121
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,803
Argh!

Commuted in today on the pedal bike and got right-hooked. Bruised hip/cheek and lost some knuckle skin, but other than that I'm fine. More pissy about the scratched skewer and the driver that bolted after impact.

I should have realized what was happening sooner. I may have been able to avoid the collision if I'd been a bit more cautious/alert.

I'll have to check the Black Friday sales online, too. My Hincapie bib has a quarter-sized hole in the left cheek now.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #26122
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,975
Haymarket's first winter bike league map

We did most of the ride today, but we kinda cut off the top of the ride but turning left onto Carter's Farm and riding Parsons down to Hulbert's and then on to Halfway. In our defense, we'd ridden up from Warrenton and had to ride back to Warrenton.

4+hrs and 51.5mi of mixed surface riding. It was actually mostly gravel roads. I got 'pipped at the line' at the top of Bull Run Mtn after having towed B's ass up there, but I got him on Busthead Rd a little (lot) later.

So our actual path was Warrenton out Blackwell to Blantyre. Crossed 55/66 and kept going on Old Busthead to Waterfall. We turned right onto Waterfall and left onto Old Bull Run Mtn Rd. Followed most of the ride from there. We retraced our steps from the bottom of Busthead back to Warrenton.

Have I mentioned my legs are tired?! If I haven't, they are.

M

Pics added to my buddy's FB page

Snack time!


Snack time again!
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #26123
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Argh!

Commuted in today on the pedal bike and got right-hooked. Bruised hip/cheek and lost some knuckle skin, but other than that I'm fine. More pissy about the scratched skewer and the driver that bolted after impact.

I should have realized what was happening sooner. I may have been able to avoid the collision if I'd been a bit more cautious/alert.

I'll have to check the Black Friday sales online, too. My Hincapie bib has a quarter-sized hole in the left cheek now.
Bummer dood. I've BTDT too.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #26124
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Qouting myself 'cause I'm cool like that.

And these clipless pedals are weird! I am glad I didn't go to the trails for the first ride. I will get used to them, but I think I almost fell every single time I came to a stop. Not a natural feel at all! Just have to train my brain what to do when stopping, but it will come.
Toldja.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #26125
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Toldja.
Didya tell him that soon enough it'll become so ingrained that if he's about to go over the bars he'll know how to unclip so he can jump and land on his feet? BTDT

Till then, expect to fall. Typically it'll be at a dead stop.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #26126
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Toldja.


Good advice from all of 'ya!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #26127
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Didya tell him that soon enough it'll become so ingrained that if he's about to go over the bars he'll know how to unclip so he can jump and land on his feet? BTDT

Till then, expect to fall. Typically it'll be at a dead stop.

M
In front of lots of people.

YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #26128
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Qouting myself 'cause I'm cool like that.

And these clipless pedals are weird! I am glad I didn't go to the trails for the first ride. I will get used to them, but I think I almost fell every single time I came to a stop. Not a natural feel at all! Just have to train my brain what to do when stopping, but it will come.
set em loose for a while,till it becomes secord nature then tighten em up. it's a helpless feeling ,stopping ,wiggling your feet wildly as you slowly tip over. knowing what's comming. while your friends are doing this Good luck You'll get it soon enough
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #26129
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
set em loose for a while,till it becomes secord nature then tighten em up. it's a helpless feeling ,stopping ,wiggling your feet wildly as you slowly tip over. knowing what's comming. while your friends are doing this Good luck You'll get it soon enough
HAHA! Yep, they are set almost at the most loose setting right now
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #26130
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"
 
Weirdo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Prince Rupert BC
Oddometer: 4,456
Put this in Shiny Things too, but what the hell, I'm pretty stoked.

Picked up a new cross rig yesterday. It's going to be my winter trainer, wet day, commuter, cyclocross ride.





I rode a Ridley in some really wet conditions not too long ago in on some really hilly trails and roads. I was disappointed with the quality of the braking to the point where I thought I was gonig to kill myself. Big selling feature of this bike is the disk brakes.

First ride tonight!!
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014