Global Economy these days
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #107
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Where are you at?
Bike is just fixed now and leaving Guatemala city tomorrow am. Off to El Salvador. Catching Stahlratte on 7/8th Dec.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #108
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335

Finally, I was riding around yesterday, and I saw this licence plate holder from Tri-Cities, WA, which is really close to my hometown in Hermiston, OR.

Hey, Ulyses

What terrible luck you had in the kayak in the lake; with all of that water out there, what were the odds that the captain would pilot right over the top of you. It is a good thing that the Jefe told the responsible captain to stay on the other side of the lake; otherwise, your brother would have had use of your toys for several years, while you toiled away in a prison--nobody wants that to happen.

Funny thing about the garbage truck with the Pasco placeholder. Hermiston hometown? Tri-Cities for me.

Keep your cool, everybody here is rooting for you to finish this adventure in one piece.

PD
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #109
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Dang man, I'm glad you are alright. I've been on one of those boats, they just haul ass across that lake. But I'm amazed the idiot did not see you, specially in a bright colored kayak. That is a beautiful area, try to enjoy it then move on. You don't won't to end up in a Guatemalan jail. It's funny my only complaint while I was there was the same, the few rude people I ran into were fellow Americans. I guess they want to have an "authentic" experience so don't want to talk with other Americans.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #110
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

oh ya and subscribed...
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #111
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Finally, I was riding around yesterday, and I saw this licence plate holder from Tri-Cities, WA, which is really close to my hometown in Hermiston, OR.

Funny thing about the garbage truck with the Pasco placeholder. Hermiston hometown? Tri-Cities for me.

Keep your cool, everybody here is rooting for you to finish this adventure in one piece.

PD
Awesome! Where are you from? Richland, Pasco, or Kennewick?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #112
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
Dang man, I'm glad you are alright. I've been on one of those boats, they just haul ass across that lake. But I'm amazed the idiot did not see you, specially in a bright colored kayak. That is a beautiful area, try to enjoy it then move on. You don't won't to end up in a Guatemalan jail. It's funny my only complaint while I was there was the same, the few rude people I ran into were fellow Americans. I guess they want to have an "authentic" experience so don't want to talk with other Americans.

Haha! Thanks! Yeah, there are some really funny expats and vacationers around here. Oh well, in a few days I won't be around them anymore. When were you here?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #113
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Osama Returns and the Tuk-Tuk

I don't have time to do proper justice to this story right now, but I'll come back to it later. Until then here is a little teaser: yesterday, I realized that Osama was still trying to kill me from the grave when I found a stack of his IED's at a tienda in San Pedro:

Apparently the Seals didn't really kill him and he escaped to Guatemala where he's now making fireworks........

In other news, while searching for an appropriate location to detonate my bombas, I finally realized my dream of driving a tuk-tuk through the mean streets of San Pedro:

I've got to run to Spanish class now, but I'll post some more about all of this later.....hasta luego!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #114
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Haha! Thanks! Yeah, there are some really funny expats and vacationers around here. Oh well, in a few days I won't be around them anymore. When were you here?
I was there 5 years ago. We are going down again next Christmas, 2013. When at Lake Atitlan we stayed in Panajachel at a great little hotel. My wife is from Guatemala so have been to many parts of the country. Haven't ridden a motorcycle around it yet but will do at some point. If you get in a pinch in Guatemala City let me know. We own a house there, my wifes family lives in it. They speak very little english but really good people. My brother in law rides as it is his daily transportation. Ride safe.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #115
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
I was there 5 years ago. We are going down again next Christmas, 2013. When at Lake Atitlan we stayed in Panajachel at a great little hotel. My wife is from Guatemala so have been to many parts of the country. Haven't ridden a motorcycle around it yet but will do at some point. If you get in a pinch in Guatemala City let me know. We own a house there, my wifes family lives in it. They speak very little english but really good people. My brother in law rides as it is his daily transportation. Ride safe.
Awesome! Thanks! If I get in a bind, I'll give you a ring!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #116
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Computer down!

I went to Spanish School this morning and managed to drop my computer on the ground, resulting in a broken screen! Luckily, my spanish teacher agreed to walk around town with me and haggle for a new computer. Unfortunately, laptops are a little more expensive in Guatemala than they are back in the states. However, credit is a relatively new concept in this country, so people tend to buy things on credit, fail to make the payments, then have them repossessed by the credit company. Which mean that a lot of poor kids buy laptops and have them repossessed......

So, for 1,600 Quetzals (about $240) I managed to find a used Acer netbook. It has no battery life, only has a 150GB hardrive, and Windows is in Spanish! Oh crap.......

So here are my two computers: the old broken HP netbook on the right, and the new/used Acer netbook on the left. I've been trying unsuccesfully for the last four hours to find the English Language Pack for Windows.....
Old 11-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #117
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 441
PM sent with a few MS links. Those tuk-tuks are fun. Gutless, but fun. I remember driving them around Papua New Guinea when the XR250 couldn't carry what I needed it to. Even better when you load them up with 5 guys and try to drive up a steep hill. Then again, that was before I discovered either beer or scotch...
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #118
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
PM sent with a few MS links. Those tuk-tuks are fun. Gutless, but fun. I remember driving them around Papua New Guinea when the XR250 couldn't carry what I needed it to. Even better when you load them up with 5 guys and try to drive up a steep hill. Then again, that was before I discovered either beer or scotch...

Haha! Awesome! Thanks for the PM man, you're a life saver!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #119
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Awesome! Where are you from? Richland, Pasco, or Kennewick?

Hey, Ulyses,

Liking the beard. Don't shave November, or something like that?

You know, it's funny. There is somebody on the XRL thread with the moniker "Bomber." He has no idea.

Col-Hi.

PD
Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #120
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,226
Great report. That story about getting whacked on Atitlán you'll be telling for years to come.

You're in a great place for Spanish school. I was there this past February and thought the whole place was magic.

Very well told/photographed story.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote