Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #91
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I can see a design flaw already (from just this one single blurry photo)...
Did you watch the vid ? Even El Matador mentions this Dakar being a first step in a program. To me the vechicle looks sorted and capable...time will tell

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #92
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,009
Look's fragile up front to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post

I can't spell "frontal under carriage protection" in arabic or spanish...

... but I reckon we'll know what "front wheel torn off..." in both languages is come January...

Quote:
I can see a design flaw already (from just this one single blurry photo)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #93
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Did you watch the vid ? Even El Matador mentions this Dakar being a first step in a program. To me the vechicle looks sorted and capable...time will tell
Yeah... I watched the vid... lot's of good rhetoric and the usual cliches for the sponsors...

A few more quick knee jerk reactions from the little we saw of the car in action...

1. Rear engine clearance/overhang - very close to ground/exposed.
2. Spare tyre on side/low... exposed with no under protection... perfect for getting a stone/stick puncture... ideal if you want a flat before you need to change tyres.
3. The couple of airborne high spee shots... flies very tail heavy...?

Yeah... no doubt it will be fast (like a lot of the SCORE Class 1 buggies it borrows much of it's technology from)... but for how long/how far?

I would not bet against the prediction that Strong Bad made earlier in this thread in any case.

But it IS nice to see Red Bull and Qatar get behind two of the biggest names in the DAKAR from recent years and give the two past champions a shot at the race in 2013... maybe it can be developed in years to come to be a contender (like RG's Speed/Hummer outfit)... but four months is too short to deliver a winner for 2103 I believe.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #94
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
That body can't be the final product?
It looks flex-y and weak. Judging by that video, Gordon's hamm-buggy would eat eat it for breakfast. It has a mighty roar, though.

If they're setting it up for the dunes how are they going to survive the first few days ...

In other gossip/speculation, Nasser doesn't look very healthy.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #95
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
That body can't be the final product?
It looks flex-y and weak. Judging by that video, Gordon's hamm-buggy would eat eat it for breakfast. It has a mighty roar, though.

If they're setting it up for the dunes how are they going to survive the first few days ...

In other gossip/speculation, Nasser doesn't look very healthy.

The first few days are primarily dunes

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #96
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Yeah... I watched the vid... lot's of good rhetoric and the usual cliches for the sponsors...

A few more quick knee jerk reactions from the little we saw of the car in action...

1. Rear engine clearance/overhang - very close to ground/exposed.
2. Spare tyre on side/low... exposed with no under protection... perfect for getting a stone/stick puncture... ideal if you want a flat before you need to change tyres.
3. The couple of airborne high spee shots... flies very tail heavy...?

Yeah... no doubt it will be fast (like a lot of the SCORE Class 1 buggies it borrows much of it's technology from)... but for how long/how far?

I would not bet against the prediction that Strong Bad made earlier in this thread in any case.

But it IS nice to see Red Bull and Qatar get behind two of the biggest names in the DAKAR from recent years and give the two past champions a shot at the race in 2013... maybe it can be developed in years to come to be a contender (like RG's Speed/Hummer outfit)... but four months is too short to deliver a winner for 2103 I believe.

Both Nasser and Sainz have tested almost all real good Dakar machines in the last years:

VW Touareg (Both Nasser and Sainz)
BMW X3 (Nasser)
Toyota Hilux Overdrive (both of them)
Hummer (Nasser)
SMG buggy (Sainz), a concept similar to the Qatar red bull
SAM mercedes (Nasser)

Both have a name on them, as well as Red Bull.

I really doubt they would get in something so bad so easily.
They know how they will sit against competition,. No other team has so much knoledge of competition as they have.
There must be a lot of things to develop, as it has been the case with Mitsubishi, them with X raid, or even the endless wallet of VW Dakar project.
I can not see them fighting for overall win in 2013.
But I really doubt this thing could be awfully designed or constructed, and have Nasser, Carlos and Red Bull exposing themselves to it.

The logistics, assitance and all what is beneath the special stage itself is really important in Dakar
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #97
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,199
Did I miss something? I'm not seeing Robby Gordon on the list.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #98
ZequeArgentina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Did I miss something? I'm not seeing Robby Gordon on the list.
Not, Robby is not in the list.
Some numbers are "reserved" though:

In the past Dakar,s there have been cases of late entries (E.g. BJ Baldwin, 2nd Hummer in 2011, De Garvardo 3rd Hummer in 2010, or even Nasser Hummer in 2012), so it may be once again a Hummer have a late entry.
Nassrr had his "300" reserved.
I doubt "315" is for Robby, he must have something like "304" or lower number, but it is not that important.
He may have 456 and later be seeded in top ten for first superspecial.

the question is: has he all sorted out for Dakar?
ZequeArgentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #99
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,936
The Auto entry list for Dakar 2013 is out.........
  • 8 x Polaris XP900's
  • 3 x Can-Am 1000's
  • 1 x Arctic Cat Widlcat 1000
Double the number of SXS's than 2012 Dakar....

the class is growing rapidly and is set to grow even more over the next few years

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/r...ars.html#ancre

SafariBerg screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 01:47 PM
SafariBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #100
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,832
I will be very surprised if Rubby Gordon races this next El Dakaro. First there are recent developments with his latest "benefactor" Clyde Stacy, which most likely will prevent Clyde's involvement (and may possibly even prevent future funding). Second, Rubby is up to his armpits in getting the Stadium Super Trucks off the ground, in fact one of the "demo" events for the SST is to be held while the El Dakaro is being raced. Rubby has contracts already with NBC for TV, and he wanted to be the next Micky Thompson.

El Matador and Nasser have both shared major testing time in developing past Dakar race cars. However, there simply isn't anytime to develop the current car prior to this next event. Looks are one thing, bling, bling bodies and graphics are window dressing, races are won with prep, development, and more prep. They have barely enough time to get the shocks set up, let alone figure out what the week links are that will need to be addressed in the bivy every night.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #101
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
El Matador and Nasser have both shared major testing time in developing past Dakar race cars. However, there simply isn't anytime to develop the current car prior to this next event. Looks are one thing, bling, bling bodies and graphics are window dressing, races are won with prep, development, and more prep. They have barely enough time to get the shocks set up, let alone figure out what the week links are that will need to be addressed in the bivy every night.
The headlight system is a stroke of genius... they just need to replace the decals each night...

Story here: http://www.marathonrally.com/news/da...l.22071.0.html

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #102
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171

Is it just me or does that thing look really ugly?
It makes the Mini look good! Bummed about Robbie not racing,
that Hummer was poetry in motion to watch...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #103
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

Is it just me or does that thing look really ugly?
I dunno... is ugly anything like "sorted and capable"...?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #104
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

BREAKING NEWS: Irak team announces debut DAKAR entry... a winning formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina View Post
Some numbers are "reserved" though:

In the past Dakar,s there have been cases of late entries...?
Amongst much pomp and ceremony at the annual Baghdad Motorsports and Small Arms Expo, the newly formed middle east motor racing syndicate - "Surface 2 Air Racing" - unveiled their ambitious plans to field a late entry in the pinnacle T1 Auto category of the 2103 DAKAR Rally, to invited media, press and dignitaries late yesterday.

In a press release issued from their downtown Baghdad workshop and race headquarters facility, the team's manager - Mr I Saiid Al Kayba - made this statement;

"Our team felt that it was time for Irak to step up and enter this most famous of desert rallies... for many years our drivers have tamed the wilds of our great land, and now we will seek to attain glory upon a new world stage. After the 2008 rally's unfortunate cancellation, we felt that the DAKAR lacked a little something - in terms of challenge - since moving to South America... and so, with the support of our sponsors Screaming Shiite Energy Drink and funding from the Gaza Goodwill and Sportsmanship Association, we hope to bring the "excitement" back to the DAKAR!"

The vehicle - designated as the S2AR Intimidator T1 - is a rear engined/rear wheel drive spacefamed buggy, built to full FIA and NATO specifications. A couple of features that are immediately obvious are the fact that this is a three seater vehicle; equipped with two rather conspicuous 50mm "proximity beacons" (sentinel system).

In a startling move, the S2AR team have requested one of the absolute last starting numbers... not so much because of their "rookie" driver status, but as an integral part of their race and mechanical support strategy;

"Yes, we have equipped the Intimidator T1 with a rather unique and patented overtaking signal/tyre deflation system for the dune stages... In the spirit of goodwill and sportsmanship that we wish to foster in this years event, we plan to use our two 50mm "sentinals" to warn the competitors ahead of us of our intention to pass, and to assist them with rapid deflation of their tyres." - Mr Al Kayba stated in the press release.

The vehicle is to be crewed by three experienced Iraki desert racers; the Driver: Gheddis Faddi Oudda-Mepantz, navigator/co-driver: Hurri-Yahp Pwilya and mechanic/tyre changer: Al "Boom Boom" Jihad.

The crew is not at all fazed by the prospect of starting at the rear of the field... it is in fact an ingenious part of their race strategy...

"Yes... we anticipate that course this year be will very tough, and attrition rate of competitors ahead quite high. To find spare parts, tyres and fuel in the desert... this something is that we very skilled at... No problem! With co-driver Hurri-Yahp me showing the direction and "Boom Boom" in third seat operating "senitnel" beacon, I think not we have many problems overtaking..." said Faddi Oudda-Mepantz at the launch.

Other design features of the S2AR Intimidator T1 are the two racks on each side of the vehicle for storage of fuel jerry cans and spare tyres that "overtaken" competitors donate to the team as they pass.

Although the vehicle is a three seater vehicle, it still just scrapes in over the FIA minimum weight requirement, through a judicial non-use of such non essential items like bodywork, windscreen and doors etc. and is equipped with only a modest 100 liter fuel cell... Which mandates a fairly aggressive driving style each leg, in order to "pass" rival competitors before the first 100-150 kilometers of each day's special stage is completed... sometimes even on transport stages.

Team mechanic "Boom Boom" Jihad commented; "Yes... is true... Fuel range on Intimidator T1 is restricted. So is critical that Gheddis have finger out early in stage, and put me in range to use "sentinal"... always our experience in past; is someone willing to help us... is famous "DAKAR spirt" of cameraderie... you know...?!"

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 02:19 AM Reason: this is satire... not real entry...
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #105
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
I dunno... is ugly anything like "sorted and capable"...?

Beauty is subjective I suppose. I like the "Baja" look it has....andvyes Troy it looks capable to me