User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Kernville Lake Isabella Ural today

Don't know who you are, didn't get to meet you, but to the owner of that Ural outfit parked in front of the Fly Fishing Shop by the river in Kernville, above Lake Isabella CA today, Tuesday November 20, 2012: MARVELOUS! OUTSTANDING!

Man, what a great looking rig! The attention to detail is simply amazing and very fine quality work. Very tastefully & carefully done. It's a rig a guy really would have to see in person to appreciate, and I did, and I surely did! Made my day, and my week, maybe my whole month?

I've lived off the beaten path for many years. Friend of mine once said, 'Man, you LIVE where other people run away to escape to in the middle of nowhere!' True. Therefore a sidecar rig is a very rare sight. This was the first time getting arm's length close up to one in about 45 years.

It was worth the wait for this to be my first encounter after so long a time: MOST EXCELLENT! I've got a build project going so it was great to take a closeup look at the chassis/frame connections, 2WD, plus all the outstanding details, details and more details. Wish I had my camera with me...

Whomever you are I commend you on your great outfit, looking forward to seeing it again. If you see this thread, please post pics for the other members, I know they'll love it!

XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
I'm going to be riding the area fri thru sun. maybe I'll get a look too. Heck...I'd even ask for a ride!

Where do you live?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope you see the rig when you're there! Also hope the owner sees this thread.

Looks like good weather for your ride:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USCA0583

I live quite a ways from there but drive up to Kernville about once or twice a month, beautiful area. Also the site for the yearly ADV Warped Rally, no shortage of cool places to ride!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
I almost passed thru the Lake Isabella area on my Ural yesterday. I wanted to get home rather then spend another day on the road so after Death Valley, I headed down the 14.

Maybe I'll ride it up there this coming weekend.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
XL-erate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well hey, it looks like Kip and Mr. G might hook up in Kernville!? I guess this thread had a good use even if the owner of the mystery Ural never sees the message.

One thing about the area, don't trust the forecast for wind! I'm about 50 miles away and the wind was supposed to be 5-7 mph. This afternoon souteast of there it has kicked up to 20's instead, real gusty.

There are a couple of treacherous spots coming around Lake Isabella itself from 'Southlake' and Mt. Mesa headed back to the town of Lake Isabella. As you cruise through those turns headed sort of west sometimes it's almost enough to shove my 7,500 lbs truck off the road! The mountains will be blocking the wind, then you come around a turn and WAHMMO a wind shear at 90* angle toward lake! Please ride safe over in that area. This is the opposite side of lake from Kernville.

Also on Caliente/Bodfish Road off Hiway 58 there's lots of cattle on the road lately, recently released. They're not very 'road smart' yet. Then again, I've never met a cow named Einstein. Be especially careful on the stretch from Lake Isabella through Havilah and just beyond, extra if riding at night, you never know what they'll do!

Hope you guys can get in a ride together. I can't make it up there anytime soon or I'd join in. Have fun!