Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #406
NomadGal OP
Esther

Oddometer: 1,045
Ahhh, two days on the job, and I am already longing to hit the road again!
I tell you, there must be something wrong with me........ oh well, I'm trying to hang in there till I have at least a grand, that lasts me about two months on the road. $1500 would be better. We'll see, it's not worth giving up my sanity for!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #407
BenZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
I tell you, there must be something wrong with me........
NomadGal, if there is something wrong with you then I have must have the same affliction.

Ben
BenZens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #408
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
I tell you, there must be something wrong with me........
No Esther, there is something right with you.

There is something wrong with a civilization which pushes everybody and everything else aside in the name of financial gain. The idea that we must give up all our sunrises, all those crisp spring mornings and that smell as the plants start to warm up for the day... that we should give up our time with friends, our families, our peaceful contemplation and ecstatic dancing and passion in exchange for something as meagre as money is an affront to what it means to be alive. There is a lie born of greed, stoked by people who enjoy the gains from an uninformed workforce, cowed by fear. The lie is that there is no other choice but to bow your head and pull the plow until you die, doing the things you truly live for only in the margins, if you're lucky. Some of us can see a different path.

We are made of stars. Don't ever forget that.

A sane person to an insane society must appear insane. - Kurt Vonnegut
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #409
Dave Bell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
That doesn't make sense!
How is one supposed to rock the bike kickstand on the tire, if one wheel is missing?
If I did that then my handy dandy little jack rod that keeps the bike up, would fall down, and oh boy, what a pickle I would be in then!!
The skinny rod is the tool I use for keeping Spirit up while I take the tire off, it seems to me putting the kickstand on the tire is not really ideal! The tool only supports the bike's weight, but will not stay in position if I I move the bike off it. :)
It would be a great idea if I had a spare tire and I was in a garage, but on the road this will not work

By yourself, it doesn't make sense. If there is someone else with you or another bike nearby, like if you have two at home and that's where you are, it's the best way. Or, if someone on a bike stops to help.
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #410
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
That doesn't make sense!
How is one supposed to rock the bike kickstand on the tire, if one wheel is missing?
If I did that then my handy dandy little jack rod that keeps the bike up, would fall down, and oh boy, what a pickle I would be in then!!
The skinny rod is the tool I use for keeping Spirit up while I take the tire off, it seems to me putting the kickstand on the tire is not really ideal! The tool only supports the bike's weight, but will not stay in position if I I move the bike off it. :)
It would be a great idea if I had a spare tire and I was in a garage, but on the road this will not work

You need a centre kickstand for that to work by yourself.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #411
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
hey how you doing
dont feel bad i know how you feel once i started working again i could not wait till i got back on the road again i felt like i was on a leash i hate it when i cant travel :)
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #412
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
We'll see, it's not worth giving up my sanity for!
One of the best quotes I've seen. Money's great but it's definitely not the most important thing. Keep riding!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #413
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZens View Post
NomadGal, if there is something wrong with you then I have must have the same affliction.

Ben
Haha, let's start a club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
No Esther, there is something right with you.

There is something wrong with a civilization which pushes everybody and everything else aside in the name of financial gain. The idea that we must give up all our sunrises, all those crisp spring mornings and that smell as the plants start to warm up for the day... that we should give up our time with friends, our families, our peaceful contemplation and ecstatic dancing and passion in exchange for something as meagre as money is an affront to what it means to be alive. There is a lie born of greed, stoked by people who enjoy the gains from an uninformed workforce, cowed by fear. The lie is that there is no other choice but to bow your head and pull the plow until you die, doing the things you truly live for only in the margins, if you're lucky. Some of us can see a different path.
We are made of stars. Don't ever forget that.

A sane person to an insane society must appear insane. - Kurt Vonnegut
Yep I agree, but I also know that money in our current way of live is a necessity, Spirit after all rides on gasoline, and even though I require little food, I still need to purchase it because I'm not that knowledgable about wild plants, berries and mushrooms. Still, I consider myself lucky in that I know it is only temporary, and I try to approach the work in a happy and peaceful way. It seems to work, because yesterday and today were quite pleasant and I made a lot of people happy.
Shopping might not be my thing, but seeing as I can not tell the shoppers the superfluousness of owning more than a couple of jeans, I content myself in the knowledge they they are blissfully unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
hey how you doing
dont feel bad i know how you feel once i started working again i could not wait till i got back on the road again i felt like i was on a leash i hate it when i cant travel :)
I hope you can get some riding in between workdays(nights)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
One of the best quotes I've seen. Money's great but it's definitely not the most important thing. Keep riding!
Haha, thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #414
NomadGal OP
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bell View Post
By yourself, it doesn't make sense. If there is someone else with you or another bike nearby, like if you have two at home and that's where you are, it's the best way. Or, if someone on a bike stops to help.
Yeah, unfortunately (actually fortunately) I am mostly by myself and often in the middle of nowhere, so this trick won't do my any good. Thanks for the suggestion though

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post
You need a centre kickstand for that to work by yourself.
I had one but took it off. It interfered with my regular kickstand, made too much noise, weighed a ton, and made my clearance way less, so I was hitting it when riding over rocky areas. I also am a bit of a wimp, and I was never able to get the bike on the stand, no matter how hard I tried.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #415
CB160
another old fart....

Oddometer: 80
I had one but took it off. It interfered with my regular kickstand, made too much noise, weighed a ton, and made my clearance way less, so I was hitting it when riding over rocky areas. I also am a bit of a wimp, and I was never able to get the bike on the stand, no matter how hard I tried.

Had the same issue, and I'm a lot 'heftier' than you are, lol....sold it off and was glad to lose the weight....
A little 'stick' from EM fills the void for getting the back wheel off the ground when needed.
Glad you've found some income...hang in there and fill up the travel account...
Enjoy your time in the shop! :)
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #416
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Yep I agree, but I also know that money in our current way of live is a necessity, Spirit after all rides on gasoline, and even though I require little food, I still need to purchase it because I'm not that knowledgable about wild plants, berries and mushrooms. Still, I consider myself lucky in that I know it is only temporary, and I try to approach the work in a happy and peaceful way. It seems to work, because yesterday and today were quite pleasant and I made a lot of people happy.
Shopping might not be my thing, but seeing as I can not tell the shoppers the superfluousness of owning more than a couple of jeans, I content myself in the knowledge they they are blissfully unaware.
Ah. I fear I communicated poorly. I was trying to reaffirm your lifestyle choice.

The only way there would be something wrong with you, by letting work/money serve your life instead of the other way around, is if the lies repeated in our culture were true. Money has its place, for sure. I like buying food at the store too, it's far easier than gathering it myself even at the best of times. (Try gathering pinenuts sometime, $14/lb will look like a steal!) But still. It is good that it is temporary, and it is good that you are controlling work, instead of your work controlling you. That's all I meant to say. :) That there's nothing wrong with you, there is something wrong with society's assumptions about which things have value, and that you're courageous, not broken, for pursuing the things in life you really value instead of giving up on your dreams.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #417
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,414
Ha! You were probably in the Keys at the same time we were if it was super windy! If you remember passing two GS/GSA's then that was us! If we didn't wave, it was because only about 5% of riders in Florida ever waved and we were getting disenchanted with not having our gesture reciprocated.

I agreed with your assessment, the Keys were kind of a letdown until we got to the very end of Key West. It was super fun however riding on a road that was only a few feet from the water!! We never got to see the wildlife and alligators you saw, so we'll probably have to head down that way again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #418
ricksca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Next time you're unable to find a campground...

Hi Esther, I just discovered your RR and read it all. I have been planning my first moto tour of Baja and your adventure has bouyed my confidence.

There are a couple things that I want to tell you about. You probably already know about them, but I have not seen any reference, so, in the off chance you don't, here they are: The first is www.couchsurfing.org It's a site that lists thousands of people with couches all over the world where you can stay for free. In your case, I'll bet that at the least, you could find someone with a back yard who would let you set up your tent. The second is www.airbnb.com. Pretty much the same thing only the accommodations range from tree houses to villas - but they aren't free. The owner sets the price - often less than a campground. Again, you could negotiate for tent space in the yard, probably very cheaply. Most accept last minute reservations.

I hope you find these useful - and that if you are ever back on the west coast (Grass Valley, CA) you will take advantage of our couch (or back yard). Rick
ricksca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #419
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksca View Post
Hi Esther, I just discovered your RR and read it all. I have been planning my first moto tour of Baja and your adventure has bouyed my confidence.

There are a couple things that I want to tell you about. You probably already know about them, but I have not seen any reference, so, in the off chance you don't, here they are: The first is www.couchsurfing.org It's a site that lists thousands of people with couches all over the world where you can stay for free. In your case, I'll bet that at the least, you could find someone with a back yard who would let you set up your tent. The second is www.airbnb.com. Pretty much the same thing only the accommodations range from tree houses to villas - but they aren't free. The owner sets the price - often less than a campground. Again, you could negotiate for tent space in the yard, probably very cheaply. Most accept last minute reservations.

I hope you find these useful - and that if you are ever back on the west coast (Grass Valley, CA) you will take advantage of our couch (or back yard). Rick
You posted this in the wrong thread.I think you're looking for nomadgirls thread.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #420
ricksca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
You posted this in the wrong thread.I think you're looking for nomadgirls thread.
Um...This is NomadGal's thread. At least it is on my computer.
ricksca is offline   Reply With Quote