ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #6316
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My dealer and I learned this the hard way. Replaced lots of parts searching for the reason for the low oil pressure light. Turned out the 2011 filters were installed at the first service. Correct 2012 filters solved it.
If the oil pressure sender is the same as the 690 rally bikes you may find the light will flicker/etc from time to time.The switch isnt very good quality and if mounted at 10am on the cover same as rallys will glow flicker when idling on side stand,was worried and checked oil pressure at oil filter housing reading was 55psi at idle with cold 10/60w motorex crosspower oil, what is the part no for a 2012 r filter?

johnno950 screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 04:32 AM
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #6317
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fin Land
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
If the oil pressure sender is the same as the 690 rally bikes you may find the light will flicker/etc from time to time.The switch isnt very good quality and if mounted at 10am on the cover same as rallys will glow flicker when idling on side stand,was worried and checked oil pressure at oil filter housing reading was 55psi at idle with cold 10/60w motorex crosspower oil, what is the part no for a 2012 r filter?
Part number for the filter is 75038046100.

The switch is located at the end of the pipe that starts from the filter cover (#31 in the picture).

Oldbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #6318
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Actually, 08 and 12 share the same instrument cluster/light (as well as other 690's). 09-11 Enduro R's use a setup off the exc's, small dash, rubber strap mounted smaller headlight.
Actually, outside US, non R Enduro has been produced and sold even in the "mid years"...
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #6319
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
Part number for the filter is 75038046100.

The switch is located at the end of the pipe that starts from the filter cover (#31 in the picture).

Same filter as the rally replicia,wonder if the sender same part no,583 38 091 100?,be interested if the swich on the 2013 690 is a more reliable unit.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #6320
LethPhaos
brb
 
LethPhaos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Belgistan
Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
I think this was touched on awhile back but couldn't find the answer.


With the bikes being so similar (the '12 vs all the previous years), and the change from 7.5 to 10K, would it be safe to ASSume that all years are safely capable of a 10K service interval?

Or are there some major/minor mechanical differences that I'm not understanding?


Always looking to be educated.....


C
I would think so, but I'm far from an expert, so don't believe my word on it. I tend to service oil & filters every 5k km's on my '08, just to be sure (mixed track, offroad and street use).
__________________
| KTM 690 SMC RRP | Honda RD04 Africa Twin |
| Balkan ADV RR | Bacon trip log map | KTM 690 Wiki |
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #6321
DirtWarrior
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Oddometer: 77
HID Lights

I purchased Xentec HID's for my 690, which has the 990 Adventure headlight (Rally Raid Kit). The light worked fine until last Sunday, when I rode it at the local OHV park, and it stopped working. After checking the wires, bulb, and connecting the ballast to my truck HID's, I found the ballast had went bad. Have any of you had any issues with HID's? I'm thinking something may have been wrong with the ballast to begin with, as the box said it was "shockproof."

Thanks
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2009 KTM 690 Adventure
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W ---Sold
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #6322
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,128
Ballasts do that LED is the future, most suppliers will replace ballast
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #6323
DirtWarrior
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Ballasts do that LED is the future, most suppliers will replace ballast
What brand of ballast would you recommend? Are you saying maybe I should try another Xentec?
__________________
2014 KTM 500 EXC
2009 KTM 690 Adventure
2008 KTM 250 XCF-W ---Sold
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #6324
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,159
Sorry no help... I'm looking for a good ballast myself. HID's have much better color rendition than LED though some new smaller emitors such as the Nichia 219 are getting better. Of course LED's have less to break on them.

Mega lumens from the new hi power LED's certainly have the wow factor - can blind others (and you when you hit reflective objects) but they don't help you SEE better than a good HID in a reflector. That's the tension between those two right now. "Aweing" someone with a lights power and helping you see better are not the same thing; there's no replacement for a well thought out/designed reflector.

More light food for thought... it's really hard to beat a 50 watt, Hi CRI FX-7 Bi-Xenon projector for on the road lighting. What would be really awesome for you fabbing experts would be instead of having 2 swithes for hi/lo would be to have 3 for lo beam/hi beam/off-road only beam... actually 4 - have an "off" at the beginning. And it needs to be more durable.... maybe some kind of waterproof, rubber shock mounted holder for the ballast?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #6325
hizzo3
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Sorry no help... I'm looking for a good ballast myself. HID's have much better color rendition than LED though some new smaller emitors such as the Nichia 219 are getting better. Of course LED's have less to break on them.

Mega lumens from the new hi power LED's certainly have the wow factor - can blind others (and you when you hit reflective objects) but they don't help you SEE better than a good HID in a reflector. That's the tension between those two right now. "Aweing" someone with a lights power and helping you see better are not the same thing; there's no replacement for a well thought out/designed reflector.

More light food for thought... it's really hard to beat a 50 watt, Hi CRI FX-7 Bi-Xenon projector for on the road lighting. What would be really awesome for you fabbing experts would be instead of having 2 swithes for hi/lo would be to have 3 for lo beam/hi beam/off-road only beam... actually 4 - have an "off" at the beginning. And it needs to be more durable.... maybe some kind of waterproof, rubber shock mounted holder for the ballast?
Well I will debate your white LED's not being up to par with HID in CRI index.

In terms of your hid note though, Retro solution makes a multi watt mode ballast.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #6326
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,128
I have 2 90mm hella's. With roo lights slim line HID ballasts , ( light force copy ) excellent light out put , but as stated above
More failure points ,but no issues so far , my lights are set up. , off hi/lo. ( one lamp low beam both hi beam )
The only thing I don't like is start up time , where LED is instant .

Once I'm working again I,ll get a pair of baja squadrons set up the same way ,
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #6327
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
I have 2 90mm hella's. With roo lights slim line HID ballasts , ( light force copy ) excellent light out put , but as stated above
More failure points ,but no issues so far , my lights are set up. , off hi/lo. ( one lamp low beam both hi beam )
The only thing I don't like is start up time , where LED is instant .

Once I'm working again I,ll get a pair of baja squadrons set up the same way ,
I love my squadrons, they work very well. For the record, I've used a 50w hid in my 8" desert light. The LED seems better to me, I like the light color better.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #6328
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,128
I totally agree I find some hid hard to see they are bright but don't seem to light up the road. ( must be some sort of color blindness)
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #6329
amr2ul
Machinery 2 Upper Level
 
amr2ul's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: North Alabama
Oddometer: 299
Agree about not seeming to light up the road as well. It seems that the light from my HID's is monochromatic, as opposed to the mixture that makes up "white" light coming out of incandescent lamps. It could also be that the color temperature of the HID's is too high. Lower color temps more closely resemble incandescent light, and that may be what's messing with our eyes.
__________________
Dennis Robertson
Former Nuke operator, Rescue Bum,
Diver and writer.
Check out my novel, DEFENDER, a Kindle e-book, www.Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z1U7UI (mobile )
amr2ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #6330
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWarrior View Post
What brand of ballast would you recommend? Are you saying maybe I should try another Xentec?
HID50.com - good enough for Walter and his extreme trips? Next on my to buy list
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015