So kantuckid, this isn't you?

Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #10937
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Great shots Craneguy... no need to make apologies for cell phone. Very good quality. Which phone?
Samsung Galaxy S3
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #10938
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I guess that we can be thankful that our southern friends call us gringos instead of pavos. If Ben Franklin had had his way in choosing the national bird I guess they could have rightly called us pavos.

Eat, drihk, and be merry for tomorrow we will ride.

BTW: last time I went out earholing on a Virginia country rode in T-shirt, jeans and helmet I ended up with hamburger arms and the front wheel print of a 650 BSA on the top of my helmet where he managed to stop before rolling over me in the ditch where I landed after practicing asphalt dermabrasion. A beautiful August afternoon around the time of my 21st birthday. I am thankful that I am here to laugh about it and to ride on.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #10939
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all. ...
Eat, drihk, and be merry for tomorrow we will ride.
Igualmente!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #10940
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
So kantuckid, this isn't you?

No, but honestly the gal favors my wife!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #10941
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
How seriously should one heed the "don't drink the water" admonishments? If so, do you buy bottled to refill your on-board supply?

Drink bottled water - it's readily available. But in most larger cities the water is fine.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #10942
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Bottled water is a good idea. You can bring a Katadyn filter or an ultra violet sterilizer like the Steripen if you want. Bottled water is available at all the small stores and gas stations but it can be a bit pricey for the brand names that are shipped in. We don't provide plastic bottles anymore because there is no viable plastic recycling plan here. Instead, we use 5 gal. bottles from the local water purification plant. We provide guests with carafes of water. I brush my teeth with tap water and drink it sometimes without problems. My advice is to start eating yogurt daily and your intestinal flora and fauna will be up to the task of protecting you form any bad effects. If you eat salad, it will have been washed in tap water.

Oh, and throw some immodium in your tank bag just in case
I've been trying to figure out how one could guarantee a 5 gal bottle is filtered water.. Not saying I have a general distrust (or that I don't), , but I could see some places refilling 5 gallon bottles from the tap and charging bottled water prices to help with profit.. I would be much more comfortable with small bottles that have tamper proof lids but understand the trash factor. I have water bottles with purifier straws, sounds like I may be taking them along.. Not the easiest for filling a hydration pack though.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #10943
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,000
It helps that I have visited the small plant where they bottle the water and observed the filters and the UV process I am friends with the guy who delivers the bottles. I pay $14 MXN for 5 gals of purified water delivered to my door. The deposit on the bottle is $60 MXN.

The name "River Water" on the bottles in English still makes me laugh.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 09:07 AM Reason: fumble fingers
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #10944
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Drink bottled water - it's readily available. But in most larger cities the water is fine.
I'm a Mexican, living in Mexico City, I drink bottled water at home. NEVER drink water from the mains.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #10945
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I've been trying to figure out how one could guarantee a 5 gal bottle is filtered water.. Not saying I have a general distrust (or that I don't), , but I could see some places refilling 5 gallon bottles from the tap and charging bottled water prices to help with profit.. I would be much more comfortable with small bottles that have tamper proof lids but understand the trash factor. I have water bottles with purifier straws, sounds like I may be taking them along.. Not the easiest for filling a hydration pack though.
Easy, buy water of a "reputable" brand.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #10946
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Salma's little furry monkey and it's twisted tale

This picture from earlier on the thread had me deep in nostalgia. Back to the days of Zedillo, the transfer of power to Fox and the heady days of the new changes as Mexico emerged from the shadow of 71 years of a dictatorship disguised as democracy. It was from the time of the release of the Kahlo movie that starred Salma Hayek with a distinctly hirsute appearance. That's Tyson, the Spyder monkey. I miss him.

Those were heady days for young Tyson. He was moving and shaking, his career was a rocket heading for the stars.
But it was not to last. A cold wind was blowing in from France and before you could say "zoot alors", he was
replaced.

Alas, poor Tyson was relegated to the B list and then, in a moment of inspiration worthy of any Mexican celebrity, Tyson entered the ring, but with mixed results.

Turns out few people would pay to see a former A list wrestling monkey. Well, few people other than me, anyways.
Tyson, learning a bitter lesson of stardom, lost his high profile agent. Next, Lopez Doriega and Televisa no longer returned his calls, and worst of all, Mexican actresses would no longer hug him dearly and smother him with their endowments.
In short, life was tough. Real tough.

I next bumped into Tyson when he was well into his "Fat Elvis", "Jim Morrison in Paris", and "Marlon's later years" stage. He was the doorman and bouncer at the old La Diosa strip club just south of the town of Angel R. Cabada on the coast highway Mex #180. I asked him if he missed Salma but maybe would wish her well with her new wealthy French husband and he looked me square in the eye and "signed" a reply to me.

Times changed, the world had moved on and I lost touch with Tyson, we'd gone our separate ways and we were moving in different circles. We'd had our differences in the past, argued about Hollywood and if the good life was what Che Guevara had really wanted or whether he was just faking being a commie. Tyson used to say he could ride a single cylinder Norton better than Guevara any day of the week and I had to agree. The guy was a furry streak on a motorcycle, he looked just like the image above!

And then one day I was riding past an old run down bar right on the shore outside of Alvarado. The place was on the skids, real down and out. I was thirsty, I asked for a coke and kicked back looking out over the waves, ignoring the utter filth and ruin of the place, being lulled into a gentle stupor, the pre-siesta kind, by the ebb and flow of mother ocean and then, out of the corner of my eye, there was Tyson!

Dead as a doornail, stuffed, and hugging an empty bottle of cognac.

May we all be so lucky!

I left a couple of 10 peso coins on the table and as I got up, I swear Tyson gave me a wink and stuck his tongue out at me, he'd do that sort of thing whenever he'd been drinking, especially the high class stuff like cognac. He was far worse when he was into the peyote buttons, but we won't go there.

I rode away, a better man for having known Tyson. In fact, I firmly believe there is a little Tyson in all of us, including these two guys in the photo below.

MikeMike screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 11:23 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #10947
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

SR, I wish you had known Tyson...hey, did you happen to notice how much Salma's old man looks like Schizz?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #10948
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The one not wearing the collar and leash.

Uh, sorry, I mean the one with the sunglasses and slightly better haircut.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #10949
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
About the drinking water question
Another approach is to carry on your bike a plastic container, like a big 2L softdrink bottle you have emptied and also have with you a very small bottle of chlorine laundry bleach. Fill the bottle from any of the tapwater sources and then add 2 drops of bleach for each liter.
The tapwater may already be treated , and it is a lot better bet than rainbarrels or rivers, the likelihood of the tapwater containing no major hazards is a good starting point. .Wait 30 minutes before using. The bleach will kill off any post-mains bacterial contamination , if any was there.
Use this easy and cheap to replenesh supply for drinking if you get stuck along the roadside, to wash off any fresh fruit and for brushing teeth.
I use this method and slake my thirst with it if needed but get most of my water intake from a good dose of coffeee , fruit juice and purified restaurant supplied water plus during the day I stop off for a couple of liters of o.j., or low-fat milk, or cold bottled mineral water. I get the satisfaction of not adding too much to the mountain of plastic bottle waste
I trained myself to be somewhat like a camel - drink a lot at one time and carry on for an hour or two or threeAnd I avoid hard exertion in high temperatures . None of this constantly sipping a swig every few minutes .The body will let you know in plenty of time that you are getting thirsty so do something about it at that time.
The story about the olden days when people could safely drink out of creeks and lakes is a myth. Those sources have always been prone to causing intestinal upsets and worse. Canadian northern waters and mountain streams inhabited by all kinds of wildlife have always carried the parasites shed by thos e inhabitants- think of beaver fever, raccoon roundworm and others dropped by elk and moose pooping in the water. I think the people were blissfully ignorant about the possible diseases , were lucky and when they did get sick they failed to make a connection.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #10950
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

That's Sjoerd with the dark glasses in the bottom pic, I am positive!