Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysoles View Post
@Rezy

Both the 1200GS and S10 are too big for India and its crowded roads. How I know is few of my mates own the GS in India and barely ride it. Parts are not as easily available as you think. The BMW showroom will charge you a kidney and other vital organs every time you visit them. A bike I'd highly recommend and one that is easily available in India is the BMW F650 Funduro. I used one in Bangalore and enjoyed every bit of it! Also, have read that they plan to launch the S10 in India in 2013 for about $ 33K
I agree. A literbike would be way overkill in a country where the traffic moves under 80kph in the country and under 5kph in the cities. Plus with all the crazy Indian traffic, you need something nimble to get out of the way of larger vehicles. In India the larger vehicle always has the right of way.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
The S10 is a more refined bike than the TDM. Whether that lack of "character" is good or bad depends on you.

You won't be disappointed with either, for a while at least but the lack of dealer support would worry me long term with the S10. But at least it's WAY cheaper.

Where I live you have to pay way extra for the lack of dealer support, not the other way round.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
Rezy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wicked

Thanks..

S10's Wet clutch, Double swing arm and engine stuffed in neat lines is gaining some points in my calculation over GSA's prutruding engine and its carburators and sensors near the footpegs.

Currently working on transportation, landing and customs calculation.. will update shortly again. Also S10 is due in Oman showroom in couple of weeks max as told by Sales Rep.

Thnx @ Rezy.
Rezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
S10 in Muscat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezy View Post
Thanks..

Currently working on transportation, landing and customs calculation.. will update shortly again. Also S10 is due in Oman showroom in couple of weeks max as told by Sales Rep.

Thnx @ Rezy.
I have been visiting the Zubair Yamaha showroom every week to check on the Super Tenere since Aug. Finally I was told only two pieces are being imported and both have been booked already You know sometimes, the law should make exceptions for murders!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #20
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,431
Which India, India, or India do you go back to?

For those who've never been there, southern is massively different than New Delhi or downtown Bangalore, and neither resembles the northern part....

If you are on the long stretches in the body of the country that come out of Mangalore, with occasional travels to rougher and more off-road areas, I'd take the Super Tenere over the BMW. btw - the ergonomics are nearly the same.

Your comments about TDM ground clearance tell me that you regularly are in the mud, tight mountain dirt, or otherwise off road. Maybe you only get home in monsoon season?

In those cases, both the Tenere and GS are heavier than I'd want. You might consider something like a Triumph 800, KTM with 21" wheels if available, or one of the 650-800 BMW twins.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Rezy OP
Adventurer

Wicked Mangalore, The coastal stretch

@Wreckchecker..

Ya right, the place i come from his coastal stretch of Karnataka state, its more or less like Goa, the climate and the landscape. I have used hardly 5% of my riding time in city traffic. Mostly its highway and my average speed been 100 Km/H and at times reaching 150 Km/H for few seconds in between.

I forgot to mention that i do have a Honda XR650R back home, which i moved last year to India through cargo. But by the time it was ready i had to come back and im waiting my next vacation in about 2 months to go back and try that.

Saying all that, Shall i keep the both or sell both of them and get a S10 or GSA?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,679
The S10 picks up where the XR650 leaves off. If you're doing a lot of off road that's the bike to take you there and back. The big adventure touring bikes are for off pavement (hard packed dirt roads). The weight of the big bikes becomes apparent when you try to ride them off road - unless you are a highly skilled enduro rider. It would be a shame to spend all that money on a new bike that's mostly a dust collecting garage queen. Between your TDM and XR you have a lot of flexibility. But I do understand the desire for a new toy I suffer from this affliction as well.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
@Rezy,

I'll throw in my 2 cents and suggest you consider what a few others have, and that's the BMW F800GS. You've said the Yamaha dealers are nearly zero there so I assume parts are equally hard to get, you have a BMW dealer 30k's from your house, and fuel range is important to you (the F800 uses very little fuel given it's size and HP output!). Also, the F800 will be quite a bit less $$$ vs the others, and that should figure into things since it will be sitting for months at a time. It is also much smaller and lighter, which is a big factor in muddy conditions.

If I were in your shoes, I would sell both the Honda and TDM and get the F800GS. It can go places either of those other bikes can go, has greater range, and if the itch is there to go to other countries, it can certainly do that and you can find support everywhere for them.

Best of luck in your decision.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezy View Post
@Wreckchecker..

Ya right, the place i come from his coastal stretch of Karnataka state, its more or less like Goa, the climate and the landscape. I have used hardly 5% of my riding time in city traffic. Mostly its highway and my average speed been 100 Km/H and at times reaching 150 Km/H for few seconds in between.

I forgot to mention that i do have a Honda XR650R back home, which i moved last year to India through cargo. But by the time it was ready i had to come back and im waiting my next vacation in about 2 months to go back and try that.

Saying all that, Shall i keep the both or sell both of them and get a S10 or GSA?

You are fortunate in being able to do what you wish, even if only for a short period at a time. Probably everybody who has been a soldier or worked as an ex-patriate knows the planning and waiting head game that you are going through and does not envy your need to do this.

My suggestion is going to be the least technical - get the one that makes you the most happy.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
get the F800GS. It can go places either of those other bikes can go, has greater range, and if the itch is there to go to other countries, it can certainly do that and you can find support everywhere for them.
It makes no real difference if the bikes is a S10, GSA or F800Gs, it will be VERY rare in a country like India, and it is logical that support, parts etc. are not as easily available than they might be in the US, for example. Europe, North America, Australia and just a couple of other countries in the world are the big markets for this kind of bikes... but the rest of the planet rides much cheaper and smaller bikes. "Find support everywhere" is a bit thick. No you won't.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #26
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
"Find support everywhere" is a bit thick. No you won't.
Interesting comment. I read ride reports from all over the world and in many countries there is a BMW shop.....and the OP stated in his post there is a BMW shop 30k's from his home.

So what is your suggestion to assist his decision?

-SM
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #27
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
It makes no real difference if the bikes is a S10, GSA or F800Gs, it will be VERY rare in a country like India, and it is logical that support, parts etc. are not as easily available than they might be in the US, for example. Europe, North America, Australia and just a couple of other countries in the world are the big markets for this kind of bikes... but the rest of the planet rides much cheaper and smaller bikes. "Find support everywhere" is a bit thick. No you won't.
I wouldn't say it that way but I agree with the sentiment.

I worked in Northern India (Himachal Pradesh, right on the Tibet border) for a year. I have no experience in the south but if you have a classic Enfield or a small Suzuki or Honda, you can get parts or service in any little town (just expect everything to happen on Indian time). If you own a fuel injected, computerized anything, you are on your own. You can probably get service for a big BMW or Yamaha in a large city but not in the mountain towns. It is simple supply and demand, if you ride what the locals do, you can get parts and service.

On the bright side, you'll be able to get your high tech, broken down bike trucked back to Delhi pretty cheap!
Also, the best of India is far away from the cities; going to Delhi is like being sent to purgatory, so you really don't want to have to go there. I only went to Delhi when I was rotating in or out and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

My best advice would be to go low-tech and enjoy the Indian way. Don't go high tech and try to force a western view of travel on India (or any third world country), you'll just get stressed out.

Maybe you should pm Chanderjeet for his advice. He is a mod here and an Indian resident.

Edit - An XR650R would be a great bike for India but parts will be difficult to find. I would add a dual sport kit to it to get some lights. If you are a westerner, any accident is automatically your fault, so not having lights will be trouble.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 10:26 AM Reason: Added comment
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Sock Monkey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I wouldn't say it that way but I agree with the sentiment.
Understood, but in trying to stay with his original inquiry:

"BMW R1200 GS Adventure: 42,000 US$ (Available through order in BMW showrooms across India, nearest one is 30 Kms from my house.)
Yamaha Super Tenere 1200: 32,000 US$ (Have to purchase in Dubai or Oman and then export it to India)

Considering my type of use, which is Using 2-3 weeks (3000 Kms) every 4 months and then parking for 4 long months, which of this two is more suitable to India? Also considering 4 months Rain, 4 months Summer and 4 months Winter. "

Would you recommend Yamaha or BMW?

-SM
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #29
Rezy OP
Adventurer

Wicked

Thanks all, a ton for the review and inputs.

All indications comes to the mid version of a proper enduro. The TDM 850 i have is mostly road oriented and XR650R on the other hand offroad focused. I will try exploring someting wich has best of both Onroad and Offroad. And if i do so, these both TDM & XR-R will be for sale shortly.

There is a BMW F650 Funduro with a known guy,, will try exploring it too.

Regards,

Rezy.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #30
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Interesting comment. I read ride reports from all over the world and in many countries there is a BMW shop.....and the OP stated in his post there is a BMW shop 30k's from his home.

So what is your suggestion to assist his decision?

-SM
Even if there is a "shop" somewhere, doesn't mean they store any parts for your bike, unless it is imported to that country in larger quantities. Expecting them to have expertise in servicing the newest, fanciest models with FI, traction control, and electronically adjustable suspension could also be too much. So learn to be able to maintain the bike yourself, especially if you're gonna go outside Europe, North America or Oz. And expect to wait, if you need parts.

About the S10/GSA thing I don't really have an opinion, they'll both be just about as rare as space shuttles in India, and have power in excess, keeping in mind what traffic is like over there. But surely with the longer suspension they would both be suitable for the roads there. Wouldn't justify the ridiculous prices for me, but if somebody wants to pay that kind of money, by all means they can do that.

edit. But if you can spend 30-40 grand on a new bike, then you'll probably be able to source the parts from somewhere, too. I would not be so surprised, if actually something was available for wealthy buyers in Delhi or Mumbai, for example.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 12:33 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote