Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
If I were you I'd find an old beater XT/KLR/DR/XL/etc, the smaller and lighter the better. Then ride it off road as much as possible to learn the differences, without tearing up a newer more powerful bike, and/or hurting yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Everybody would rode it if it had existed. But it does not. You have to give up something.
Airheads are not reliable and rather are projects than rides.
KTMs are great but if they can be had cheap they will compensate in ownership and riding cost.
Thumpers are not for two up riding, let alone 2 up exploration, and HWY use.
Stroms are great, but rather have limited exploration ability, same goes for old triumphs.
New generation beemers, triumphs, yamahas are great performance wise but you have to pay for performance double price.

You have to take one criteria out of equation.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino246 View Post
i recomend the tiger 955i, they are very reasonable in price, have plenty of power and two up is no problem. They wond jump rocks but fire roads and trails are no problem.
+1

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Well, I've got some input for you. First, I believe wizz is wrong about the Uly. I now have an 06 Uly & an 05 DR650 I just bought. I got it because I was looking for some easy to load in the truck bikes to take camping. My wife and I usually take the Buells and ride to Colorado or New Mexico and camp and explore.
I decided that if we loaded up bikes and drove out we would have more time to enjoy once there. I'm rambling.

Anyway, I spent yesterday riding the DR & Uly back to back on gravel and two track pasture roads trying to compare them. Right now I am about as undecided as you are. I'm not really seeing a big difference on roads that would be about equal to Forestry Service roads or easy Jeep trails in Colorado. I thought the DR would be a big improvement on these roads but it isn't much different. Now, I will be the first to admit I am a far from serious rider. I just like to explore and see new places.
I'm sure the DR would really come into it's own on single track or very rough Jeep trails but that's not what I ride. I am sure the Uly kicks it's butt in comfort, especially passenger comfort, power and highway travel. Gas mileage seems to be oddly the same.

I hope you find what your after! I have 5 bikes in the garage and still haven't found what I'm looking for but the Uly seems damn close and it is a real bargain. Lately, I have seen several for 4k or less. I don't care what anybody says, it's an awful good bike for the money. I'm sorry for the long winded post

Good Luck.
Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,125
If you like the 800XC, I would say stick with it. If it is too expensive today, wait a few months more, save the money, and get it when you are ready. KLRs, DRs and all of those smaller bikes will be too small for decent two-up riding. It is worth the wait for you to have the right bike instead of adjusting for compromises that will never give what you want in the first place.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Do you really want to go two-up? Maybe the ladies need their own bike? that new Honda 250 is looking pretty sweet and the WR250 Yam has been very well received.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,547
Check out the Yamahonsuzutriktmbeemerasaki. That seems to have just what you're looking for.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Vstrom 1000 really seems to be what you want and in your price range, used.

Reliable, big motor, dirt capable.
What he said!! I have one that I got dirt cheap...torquey, fun, reliable, TONS of aftermarket farkles available, and lots of forums to research regarding lessons learned along the way.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
FishrCutB8 sez::

"I am loving the new Tiger 800 XC but the price is way out of my league."

With your list of requirements.....think again about the Tiger 800XC...it is a simply brilliant motorcycle and will do exactly what you wish to do. I tried different bikes and rate the 800XC as simply the best all arounder out there.
This is what you want. I've seen used '12s under $10k.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 325
Sounds like your riding prescription is just like mine. Tar seal riding but want to head up those gravel roads but not necessarily the rough dirt tracks.

I also want to have my wife on the back from time to time for trips and tours.

So for a bike that is used one up most of the time but needs to do two up with gear, there are two bikes to fit my bill for this, one cheaper than the other.

The BMW F800GS - pricey but good.

The Tiger 800XC - cheaper, a lovely triple motor, slightly heavy for serious off road but an excellent all round bike and my choice for my next bike.

Cheers
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Vstrom. It will go wayen credit for. Single tracks, no. Anything else it will rip through just fine. Just like any adventure bike, you will want to add protection and possibly tires depending on the beaten paths you want to check out. I added mx handlebars which made a huge difference in offroad control. Bullitproof and fun. I have done gravel, dirt, light mud, grass, hills, etc, on mine with stock tires and no issues. If you just like to explore, the Strom is your bike. Avoid a KLR or DR, as they are an enduro, not an adventure bike. While people try to put them in the same catagory, they are truly two very different bikes. Dont buy one expecting the other. I couldnt live with an enduro every day, so an adventure bike fits the bill. I may upgrade to a Triumph Explorer XC when released or a BMW GS 1200 because I have really come to love the adventure segment. But the Strom is a great bike and does everything I ask of it. Im not looking to be a dirt bike rider,. I just like to go out and ride what feels like a comfortable street bike, and then when I see something I want to explore, I do.
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
I started riding this Summer and got a 2003 Suzuki SV 1000, which has been a fantastic bike. Zippy through the twisties, fantastic acceleration, great as a commuter to work. It looks great, sounds great (Twin Brothers exhaust) and runs great.
My recent History.

Sv650 --> DL1000 --> Super Ten.

Super Ten is the bees knees but a bit out of your price range. DL1000 is great value. With the new one around the corner you may end up with a few good 2nd had 2012 models very soon. The 8000XC and that 1100 multi are worth looking at as well. The 800XC is still a bit exe.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
A DL650 is the benchmark for the class.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
7-8g: you can get very nice ducati 1100 multistrada, even the s with ohlins, for that price used with low miles. bulletproof aircooled mill with plaenty of power and comfort for 2. plenty of soul in the Ltwin.

super tenere is a bit pricey but fits everything youve said, is a bit heavy. however the weight isnt as noticable as youd think.
I hadn't considered the Multi, and I am not averse to looking at used (would actually prefer used) so I will add it to the list. The Teneres I see are out of that league.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,589
I'll throw a used 1150 GS into the mix. I picked up an 1150 GS Adv for $6,000 with new clutch, Jesse's, and a whole slew of farkles.

Great bike, and I am a mechanicle moron and was able to do the valve adjustment. TB sync? Well, a man needs to know his limitations...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote