Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
What do you love about scooters /scootering?

Like the title says....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
The simplicity and more relaxed pace.

Surprised myself, but it reminds me of riding during my teenage years.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,913
Me and 1/2doz of my drag mates racing each off the traffic lights in a blue haze..........at slightly faster than jogging pace!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Super fast turns and dry feet and groceries.
Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
I went a year with just my scooter and no motorcycle. When I finally bought another motorcycle I realized how much i like an automatic transmission.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Always...sometimes.

I always have a scooter in my garage, and only sometimes have a motorcycle in my stable.

Scooters are just "more fun" to me....quirky, great storage, kind of the underdog of the PTW world, and they always seem to amaze people on "proper" motorcycles when they see me riding my scooter through Death Valley, or Sitgreaves Pass outside Oatman or some other outlying area. Yes, I ride mine whereever I want. My wife rides hers too.

Scooters are a siimple pleasure....but still viable transportation.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
csisfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
The scooter is my primary form of transportation. I really like having a trunkette and a grocery hook in front, which is great for random shopping.
csisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Quiet, low center of gravity, step through and weather protection.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
The reason I ask is I've had motorcycle for many years now. But in the past year I picked up a scooter. I really like it and I'm struggling to figure out why I like it so much. It's slower than my motorcycle, it sucks on rough pavement, it's not cool or adventurous looking like a Vstrom. But I really like it. Maybe it reminds me of my youth. My first motorized transportation was a yamaha razz. I rode the damn thing all over oahu for 2 years. All I did was put gas in it and check that it had enough two stroke oil every so often. It was slow and beaten down but to me it was perfect. I could put my backpack in the basket and go wherever I wanted. Maybe this bike reminds me of this time. I didn't worry about farkles, or performance, or the must do mods. I just jumped on twisted the throttle and I was gone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
i love the convenience just twist and go no need to think about things and they are just so much fun at slower speeds in my ideal garage i would have a scooter and a motorcycle but due to having to ride long distances i prefer to be on a motorbike for the time being until i can have another scooter in the grage again.
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I am always amazed at the number of people who approach me on my Burgman in parking lots and ask questions about it .
They all seem to want to ride, and are not as intimidated by it as if i were on a more proper motorcycle. Many of them are older fellows who still have the look in their eyes.
Have had some interesting conversations with some grey beard HD riders , who I think are trying to come to grips with their own manhood and perhaps mortality
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Scooters - Simplicity, practicality and fun factor. Cheap to keep and maintain. Great for short errands and ease of finding
and fitting into tight parking spaces. Just twist and go!!!

Maxi-scooters - Having a bit more giddyup and go when you want/need to get somewhere as quick as a regular motorcycle.

Scootering - Going at a pace so as to be able to notice and enjoy the scenery while riding and at the same time not costing
an arm and a leg to do so. Camaraderie and enjoying adventure with like minded folks. No need for posturing, posing or big
inflated egos. (Though I will admit to feeling a bit smug when cage drivers looked upon me and my scooter with envy at
those times when they were feeling the sting of higher gas prices and complaining about it.)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
My little run into the Gold Country this morning is an example of what I love about scooters:

Plymouth, CA-Main Street

Plymouth-fall colors

Shenandoah Valley, east of Plymouth

Mt Aukum Road at D'Agostini Reservoir

Same-same

I like the way the BV responds to me and the road. I like the way it handles and how it's simple and easy to ride and that I don't have to worry about whether I picked the right gear for the curve. I like that I don't have 800 pounds of pig iron to wrestle with. I like that I can store stuff relatively securely on the machine. I like that it has good power for its displacement and that it goes as fast as I want to go without straining or sounding like it's going to fall apart. I like that the Goldwing rider I met at Starbuck's in Placerville was curious about the bike and about why I chose it and respected me for doing so. I like that the cage driver at the Starbuck's in Folsom was not intimidated or put off by me and my machine and that he wanted to know all about it.

And this was just a four hour jaunt, with no particular place to go...

Kind of difficult to put it in words, but trust me, it's good stuff to be on a scooter on a 70 degree day the day after Thanksgiving motating quickly down a twisty backroad somewhere...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I like it because it fits who I am. When I first looked at getting into bikes, here is what went through my head: Get a cruiser. Nope, not my "image" and you don't see many cruiser riders with full face helmets and hi viz jackets. So get a small sports bike. Definitely not me: flashy, showy, zoom zoom. And on and on and on. Enter the scooter. Practical, quirky but cool in my book, way more simplified than a motorcycle. Plus I think it makes more sense cruising the neighborhoods exploring the suburban jungle. Heck, I feel I've just been given keys to a whole new world.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
Interesting thread. Lots of cool responses.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote