Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #10951
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
That's Sjoerd with the dark glasses in the bottom pic, I am positive!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #10952
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
- think of beaver fever
I suffer from that
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #10953
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
No, Trice, he's not talking about that little Canadian kid from Stratford that is on your MP3 player.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #10954
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
slake my thirst
There's a phrase you don't see every day
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #10955
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
"...Moonshine, moonshine to slake the devil's thirst, The law they swore they'd get him but the devil got him first"

Thunder Road, Rob't Mitchum
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #10956
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Acid

I read some research a while back that indicated that high levels of stomach acid were genetically selected in populations that had bad food and bad water. The higher acid content killed a lot of the bacteria that caused disease and killed young people before they could reproduce.
Before I started taking acid reducers like Prevacid, I could eat anything anywhere without getting sick, even when other people eating the same stuff did. That is also when I used to drink from streams in the marmot infested mountains. The problem was that I could not not lay down without the feeling that flaming kerosene was filling my esophagus. So I made the trade. Reduced incidents of that flaming kerosene feeling but a few minor bouts of something or other. I have to say I am happier without the acid. So maybe, if you are on acid reducers, be extra aware of the quality of your water.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #10957
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

MikeMike,
The story of the rise and fall of Tyson is very touching. I think you should do a script treatment and shop it around. I think it will make a great film. It has everything, Hollywood insider stuff, exotic foreign locals, buxom movie stars, betrayal and a fall from grace. It even has an ending dripping with enough irony to keep modern movie goers happy. Maybe Travolta could play the lead using the camera tricks they used in the Lord of the Rings to make the Hobbits look small.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #10958
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
"...Moonshine, moonshine to slake the devil's thirst, The law they swore they'd get him but the devil got him first"

Thunder Road, Rob't Mitchum
Like I said
Old 11-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #10959
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Thunder Road

Sorry TC the word used in the song is "quench", scans better rhythmically. As to the Tyson movie... shop it to the National Geographic Channel, they are owned by Fox and will air any godawful stuff. This sounds like it is right up their alley.

Sjoerd's advice on water is sound for the most part. The hydration nazis here in the mountains tell us that coffee and alcohol remove more water from your system than just drinking water, of course a case of the trots removes lots of water in a hurry. They also say that if your body tells you it is thirsty it is already too late. The purpose of measured hydration is to keep you from ever being thirsty or dehydrated. There was indeed a time when you could drink from mountain streams, that was before ranching, esp. sheep ranching brought giardia to the mountain streams. It has been over for many years. By "beaver fever" do you mean tularemia, common in all kinds of rodents and not real pleasant. The other form of "beaver fever" is transmitted by the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and others of their ilk. It is not fatal but can cause unpleasant difficulty in walking or getting up off of the couch.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #10960
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Tyson, the early years

Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #10961
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Sorry TC the word used in the song is "quench", scans better rhythmically. As to the Tyson movie... shop it to the National Geographic Channel, they are owned by Fox and will air any godawful stuff. This sounds like it is right up their alley.

Sjoerd's advice on water is sound for the most part. The hydration nazis here in the mountains tell us that coffee and alcohol remove more water from your system than just drinking water, of course a case of the trots removes lots of water in a hurry. They also say that if your body tells you it is thirsty it is already too late. The purpose of measured hydration is to keep you from ever being thirsty or dehydrated....
Got me on quench - been singing it wrong all this time, I'm so embarrassed. Apologies to Bob Mitchum

The Hydration Nazis are wrong. Thirst tells you when to drink. Thirst tells cats dogs and antelope when to drink as well. Have you ever seen an elk with a hydration pack? Thirst is a survival mechanism, it has a sound purpose and likely exists due to natural selection. Obviously, all of us have been thirsty at one time or another and we are not dead or permanently impaired. Coffee and alcohol are diuretics but not a big deal. Sojoerd's method of drinking a lot then laying off for 3 hours seems quite sound. Humankind developed to be tolerant of famine and drought. We can go weeks without food and days without water and be just fine when we finally eat and drink. I know a guy who was adrift in a lifeboat for 12 or 14 days with no food and no water. He is fine, runs a hotel in France and rides a GS. Next time a Hydration Nazi tells you their BS send them to me.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #10962
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The other form of "beaver fever" is transmitted by the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and others of their ilk. It is not fatal but can cause unpleasant difficulty in walking or getting up off of the couch.
Now we're gettin' down to bid'ness

Jimmex mentioned something about this just after we all had walked to the end of the playa at Escondido and I nearly split a gut.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #10963
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

You don't have to be sick, but quite often in Mexico your biology will "loosen" and you'll be riding along as the pressure in the tank builds up to a crisis level. Again, overall you will be feeling fine but you'll be playing that kazoo if you know what I mean, trying to "let off steam" until you can make that occasional emergency stop.

Your mileage may vary
Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #10964
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Mileage May Vary

Closed course, professional riders, don't try this on a limited access highway. Depends anyone?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #10965
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Hydration

TC: Send them to you? At the hotel? Nice promotion, you are shameless.

There is, of course, a lot of differing opinion about hydration, much of it fueled no doubt by "sports beverages" and water bottlers. The annals of travel are filled with those who endured much deprivation before "slaking their thirst" My personal experience is that the "diuretics" do just that, add hydrochlorothiazide (more "old guy" stuff), and a mild case of turistas and you are losing water fast, too fast to adequately keep up. My results are often severe leg cramps, calambres, at the most inopportune times in the middle of an otherwise pleasant night... measured intake of safe water is pretty important. The other result is that when I allow myself to be dehydrated it often leads to poor decision making (see above) and equally important poor operation of my machine (foot down too late, pull clutch when meaning to dim lights, other really stupid and potentially dangerous stuff just because the gourd is water deprived. It is a mild pain in the ass to stop every hour and take off the helmet for a drink of water but I have found that it makes a huge difference at the end of my day.