Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #76
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Question What's with bikes in rooms

Hey Booger1,

Great RR; currently in Todo Santos enjoying a bit more of the Baja hospitality before we ride back up to Canada. 1 up on a KTM you can take the roads we couldn't 2 up on the GSA. At least with my skill set, the road from Alphonsina to Coco's and onwards to Mex 1 was enough, until I get better in the soft stuff loaded for 2up camping.

I have seen this before on other ride reports and I'm not sure as to why so many riders are compelled to secure their bikes in the rooms. I have travel all over the world, some on motorbike, and I have never done that, not even considered it. Especially not in places like Baja. The only time I have ever had our GSA locked overnight was in Downtown San Francisco upon suggestion from the hotel bellboy, and I felt I was taken for a ride.

I do not wish to start a debate on security; carelessness vs media-imbued-paranoļa, but just sayin'.... I don't get it.

Now back to the program, great vids and pics. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the mainland

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #77
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Hey Booger1,

Great RR; currently in Todo Santos enjoying a bit more of the Baja hospitality before we ride back up to Canada. 1 up on a KTM you can take the roads we couldn't 2 up on the GSA. At least with my skill set, the road from Alphonsina to Coco's and onwards to Mex 1 was enough, until I get better in the soft stuff loaded for 2up camping.

I have seen this before on other ride reports and I'm not sure as to why so many riders are compelled to secure their bikes in the rooms. I have travel all over the world, some on motorbike, and I have never done that, not even considered it. Especially not in places like Baja. The only time I have ever had our GSA locked overnight was in Downtown San Francisco upon suggestion from the hotel bellboy, and I felt I was taken for a ride.

I do not wish to start a debate on security; carelessness vs media-imbued-paranoļa, but just sayin'.... I don't get it.

Now back to the program, great vids and pics. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the mainland
Thanks for taking the time to read my report while your out on the road.
As far as securing the bike in the room. I live in Phoenix and have had freinds bikes stolen so I've always done that. And now I'm use to doing it that way and feeling safe about it. I'm sure nothing would have happened, but that is your horse and if somthing would happen, then what. I do have full caverage insurance, even down in Mexico, but would rather not deal with loosing it.
Good luck on your trip.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #78
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Hey Booger1,

If not for security then I do it for convenience. It's nice to have everything in the room without having to carry it in.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #79
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm up early still thinking about what I encountered last night, but I walk out to explore Batopilas and hopefully find breakfast.

I enjoy people watching, but it's still too early for this town and don't find many up yet.

Nothing is open yet, but feel that I need to get moving.
The handyman at the hotel helps me get my bike out onto the street so that I can pack it up.

Today's destination is Urique, so I stop to get fuel and find more old buildings before leaving town.

It's a great day to be riding.

With all the road construction, I'm having a hard time finding the road to be on. Soon I cross the river and feel I'm heading in the right direction. But it's not long before I'm on roads that don't line up with the GPS maps and I start to get uncomfortable.
The roads turn into rough trails and I start to worry about ending up on a pot farm due to last nights endeavors.
I try several other roads but they all don't seem to line up either and finally I decided that I had enough and turned around to go back out the way I came.

20 miles outside of town, the road is blocked off.

I dig out the Spanish English translation book and these guys start to laugh. I see the humor in this as well.
Who goes deep into Mexico with very little Spanish?
I worked with the Rosetta Stone program 6 months before leaving, but have found that with the stress of all that has happened, I'm forgetting everything.
I finally put together the phrase "What time will it open?"
I'm informed not until 7 or 8 at night.
I can't ride this road again at night, I know what that looks like.
They see the stress level rise in me and offer a "mary-jew-wanna" cigarette.
Again I decline, and they start laughing again.
After building another phrase "Is there another way out?"
They team up on the GPS and start to point out towns to head for. They're speaking too fast for me to take this all in and I decide to get out my note pad and they write the names of the towns down for me.
Again the road is not on the GPS but I feel confident in their directions and turn the bike around.

The road is scenic and good for my soul, but feel that a two wheeled drive vehicle would have a hard time on it due to it's steep inclines and switchback way of meandering around obstacles.
I don't stop much knowing that today could be a long day, but when I do stop, I get uncomfortable when I hear a vehicle coming. Last nights adventure is plaguing my head, and feel as long as I keep moving I won't have to answer any questions.

The views are incredible and I start to feel more comfortable with being on a road that's not on a map when I see a military truck coming my way.

I finally reach a town I believe is Carbonetas and pull up to a store to get something to eat.
"Buenos Dias".
And the response I get is "Buenos tarde".
I'm shocked to see that it's 12:30 already. I find something to eat in the unlit and understocked store, but am surprised to find Pepsi. I haven't seen this since entering Mexico.

I share the cookies with the lady running the store and what I believe to be her mother.

I look at the GPS and discover that I'm barely half way. This is going to be a really long day.
The road gets smoother and I'm starting to get more comfortable with stopping and taking pictures.

I'm not sure why, but when I reach blacktop road I'm relieved. I love dirt roads and traveling off-road, but today has been a long day and it feels good to have reached it.

I finally reach the blacktop road I rode on yesterday and start to take my time taking in the sites.

I stop to relieve myself and disturb this couple.

These grasshoppers are almost 2 inches long, they're huge by Arizona standards.

I pull into Creel, 10 hours after I left Batopilas.

These young boys come up to see the lonely Gringo and the monster of a bike he pulled in on.
KTM magnetismo.
Future adventure riders.

It's time to unwind and I think about what I encountered last night. All the stories of decapitations, thefts, and hostage takings that you hear about in the US.
Nothing happened. I gave respect and they gave respect. They weren't interested in harming me, they just want to make sure I wasn't there to interrupt there business.
Nothing happened, sure it was a scary ordeal, but it was the stories I hear from the news and people that hurt me the most in this situation and of course the movie "Turistas" that I watched in Durango.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:36 AM
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #80
NightShadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great RR. The last couple of vids with all those turns and twists - is my kind of riding. The scenery looks amazing.
Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
NightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #81
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

I've some how got it in my head that I'm ready to be home, cutting my trip off 3 days early. The language barrier and the fact that I'm starting to run low on the money in my pocket, but mostly the language.
But I know if I don't try to get a little more of Copper Canyon sights I'll be disappointed. So I head south out of Creel towards Urique. I'm not planning on going there but I want to stop at some of the vista points along the way.
It's cold this morning and have to stop and switch to different gloves and put my liner in the jacket.

I reach the observation point before anyone else and watch the Native Americans set up there stands.

This little girl follows me around until I agree to buy a small bobble head turtle from her.

She worked me over pretty good and convinced me I needed to get a couple of bracelets and baby rattles.
She's worked hard and deserves a break.

I speed off back to Creel to get something to eat before hitting the long road to Neuvo Casas Grandes.

Sorry pouch, your cute, but your not getting food from me.
OK, you got me. He gets a small chunk from my pastor burrito. I think he and that little girl live together.

Back on the road.

The dirt and bugs piling up on the old girl after 2 weeks.

A quick stop to shed the winter gear.

A long lonely highway.

I make it to Nuevo Casas Grandes late in the afternoon for my final point of interest.

What I knew before coming here, was that there was a 2000 adjoining room dwelling, and with a few pictures I knew I wanted to visit. It was a late entry into my ride plans so I didn't have any time to research it before leaving. So here is the link if you want to know more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casas_Grandes

The ball court.

I top off the bike and have that struggling conflict with myself on whether or not to push on to the border or get a place in town. I don't even make it a block before I do a U turn and head back to town. I'm too tired and hot.

I find a room off the main drag to call home for the night.
From the balcony of the room you can see the ADA compliant hand rails. I won't have any beer tonight.

I'll be coming back, just to eat at this place.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #82
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Booger,

It's SOOOOO hard leaving Mexico at the end of a good trip .

But, you have had some good miles, some good food, some invitations to a calmer life, some cartel anxiety, and some opportunities to pick up a bit more of the language (a frustration when your heart is there but your tongue lets you down).

Thanks for taking us along

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #83
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

It's another early morning ride, it's cold and still abit dark.

Chilis drying in the field.

I make one last stop for some Birria and coffee.

Arizona somewhere in the valley.

There's the fence. And I'm starting to get a little bit sad.

I get stopped at 3 different check points, they search me thoroughly.
As I ride through Agua Prieta, 2 cars slow down next to me while rolling down their windows, I'm not sure what to think of this and then I see them with their cameras. Unbelievable, they're taking pictures of me, I give thumbs up and ride on.

I do a half ass attempt at trying to find the Auduna and find myself in the line to cross the border. I screwed this up.
Pull up to the window and confuse English with Spanish several times.
The guy tells me I'll have to reenter Mexico so that I can check the bike back out.
"So I'll have to get back in line then".
Border agent "Hell man, your on a bike, just cut through, I don't care".
Sweet. I get the bike checked out and cut back through the line. This upset alot of people I guess.
Long story short.
I get pulled in for inspection, but at least I'm out of the sun.
This guy is hoping to find something, so I let him dig around in my dirty clothes bag and watch the grimace on his face appear as 2 weeks of nasty sweaty stink come pouring out. I almost laughed out loud. He didn't do that thorough of a job on the second one. But went through everything else.

Almost 3500 miles through Mexico.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:47 AM
Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Booger,

It's SOOOOO hard leaving Mexico at the end of a good trip .

But, you have had some good miles, some good food, some invitations to a calmer life, some cartel anxiety, and some opportunities to pick up a bit more of the language (a frustration when your heart is there but your tongue lets you down).

Thanks for taking us along
Holy crap dude.
You said in words that I can't.
Thanks so much for following along and ending this RR with your quote.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #85
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! You say the language barrier bummed you out, do you think the Rosette Stone was worth it or would be with more time? I'm thinking about getting it myself as I have probably a year to go.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #86
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! You say the language barrier bummed you out, do you think the Rosette Stone was worth it or would be with more time? I'm thinking about getting it myself as I have probably a year to go.

I know how he feels about the frustration, I found I could read it and understand it better than speak it but managed to get buy.

Not hijacking the guy's RR but I tried RS and it wasn't working for me. the program I bought and liked is "Visual Spanish" here's a link to a free demo: http://www.spanishprograms.com/

and it's a lot cheaper than Rosetta Stone

http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Link-Sp.../dp/B0000C08KK

Just saying........... Booger, glad your home, I am ready to head back down there is really so much more good than negatives down there Thanks for taking us along.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #87
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
An excellent report. Brought back a lot of good memories !

Well done.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #88
robincx
Wherever u go, there u r

Oddometer: 106
Thoroughly enjoyed your report, thanks for taking us all along.
robincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #89
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Well done!
b4thenite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #90
booger1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Not sure what I think about it, I did learn alot from it, but found it difficult to use do to the fact that there was no English to help you understand what is going on. I will try something else, most likely go to school. I'd really like to do a immersion class.
The langauge was difficult. It was what I was looking for, to struggle abit. If I had a riding partner with me I probably wouldn't have gotten bummed out so bad, but then I most likely would have missed out on a great experience of the struggle.
Thanks for reading the story.

booger1 screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:50 AM