ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #46
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss View Post
Installed CPR filter setup on 04' 950S, elevation 510 ft, Akras with inserts in place.

180 main in front
185 main in rear
65 idle air jet front and rear
45 low speed jet front and rear
4mm float set
FP needle at 3rd clip

Idle hangs slightly so to attempt correcting this my IMS are 3.5 turns out but still having idle hanging.
Going in on the IMS makes the hanging idle worse.

Bike cruises fine with no surging but does not have real crisp throttle response like it did with air box and pre-filter.
Seems down on top end power as no power wheelies are happening. No bogging or stumbling.

Any suggestions on where to go from here ?
I am not sure on your jetting--you have a bunch of variables that I don't. I do know that something is wrong with your set up because mid and top end power are noticeably increased with the CPR set up. Your float level seems lean, your slow jets too rich, and your mains richer that what I run. If the FP needles have a thinner taper then the stock needles, that will make the mains even richer. I have no experience with FP needles though. These are just my observations based on what is working for me.

My experience with the CPR filter set up is that only the mains need to be touched. 170/175/180 are all sizes I have used with good results. Stock pilots, stock idle airs, AS 1 3/4, stock needle in 3rd clip. I run FMF Q mufflers with spark arrestors. My float height is 3mm last time I checked. I am at 3.5K in elevation.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #47
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Any suggestions on where to go from here ?
Like John said, you are way off from what everybody uses. Set your carbs according to the H2W jetting as a starting point, then just change the mains.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #48
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Thanks gentlemen.

The jetting is what Ken at AdvMachines sent me to start with when I bought the CPR setup from him.

I have 160 & 165 mains I could use but none in the 170 range so I have contacted Ken about those.

I do have the stock 42 slow speed jets and the 50 idle jets.

I figured since my bike ran so well with the jetting he sent me for the pre-filter on the stock air box that this would be very close as well but as you guys are saying it seems to be way off. Just glad the CPR setup allows for such easy access to make the changes. Will update when I have made progress.

Many thanks.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Thanks gentlemen.

The jetting is what Ken at AdvMachines sent me to start with when I bought the CPR setup from him.

I have 160 & 165 mains I could use but none in the 170 range so I have contacted Ken about those.

I do have the stock 42 slow speed jets and the 50 idle jets.

I figured since my bike ran so well with the jetting he sent me for the pre-filter on the stock air box that this would be very close as well but as you guys are saying it seems to be way off. Just glad the CPR setup allows for such easy access to make the changes. Will update when I have made progress.

Many thanks.
Had some time this morning so I pulled the carbs, set the floats back to 3mm. Put in the 42 slow speed jet and the 50 idle jet. Then put the needle at the second position from the top. Left the 180/185 mains in. IMS screws 2 turns out.

Bingo ! Went out for an hour ride. Idles greats with no hanging throttle. Nice pull to redline. Much crisper throttle. I think possibly the mid range could be better when you get on the throttle but it cruises with no surging at 4k-5k rpm.

Will wait to hear from AdvMachines master to see if he has a cure for a little stronger midrange.

Thanks again for the suggestions to go back stock except the mains.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,913
Hmm, I had gotten the impression that with a CPR or open type air filter we no longer needed to have different main jets front to back. I'm currently running a 162 (5300') on both. Just monitoring the rear cylinder plug it looked lean with the 160 and was goodn'rich at 165........ seems happy and pulls pretty good with the 162. When I did pull the front plug it looked about the same.............

?
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #51
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Had some time this morning so I pulled the carbs, set the floats back to 3mm. Put in the 42 slow speed jet and the 50 idle jet. Then put the needle at the second position from the top. Left the 180/185 mains in. IMS screws 2 turns out.

Bingo ! Went out for an hour ride. Idles greats with no hanging throttle. Nice pull to redline. Much crisper throttle. I think possibly the mid range could be better when you get on the throttle but it cruises with no surging at 4k-5k rpm.

Will wait to hear from AdvMachines master to see if he has a cure for a little stronger midrange.

Thanks again for the suggestions to go back stock except the mains.
Great. Glad you got it running better.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #52
fieldmechanic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
'04- 950

I just bought a 950 Adv, and shes running pretty sweet! I put a new air filter on and a uni pre-filter on and took her for a spin. I live at about 5000ft, and ride only up. At about 8500ft, and when hitting the throttle at about 4k it falls on its face. I have always had some light popping on deceleration. My friend says it smells a lot like gas while riding behind me, which confirms my suspicion of it running a bit rich.

The bike came from somewhere's in AK so who knows what its jetted for. The previous owner has done tons to the bike so I'm sure that its not stock jetting. It currently has a hard time starting in the garage at anything below 50degrees outside temp, and I try and ride year round.

This is what I'm dealing with:

uni pre-filter
Dual FMF cans with spark arrestors
Canisterectomy
5000ft and almost always ride higher
Premium only

That being said what would people suggest for jetting? I'm planning on getting a Factory Pro kit unless there is something better out there?
fieldmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #53
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Try stock jetting with DNA filter.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #54
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I heard sporting wood was considering laser cutting a bunch of these here air filter plates out, saving the perspective buyer a whole bunch of cash...

i mean, wtf? Its only a $75 filter and the plate is an easy thing to make. You guys spending $300 got too much money!

Here is the filter (Ok, so its $90 now, price went up)

You'd also need a couple of Dzus connectors the folks there sell for $2.15 each.

All else you need is a scrap of 1/16 or .080" alloy... I used a 1/8" piece of 6061 but just about any decent quality aluminum sheet would do... old road signs, legal size clip board, etc...

I didn't use the X-ring attachment as CPR. It looks as though it'd create an opportunity for vibration as evidenced by their first version self destructing. Instead I located some large Buna-N Grommets that isolate vibration to the plate and more firmly affix the plate to the carb bodies imho.

Jigsaw and a drill is all a guy needs to make this thing. I can provide a tracing, or even could lend out a 1/4" plexiglass template. I made this one with a Bosch woodworking router with a bearing mounted flush cutting laminate bit... :eek Even cut a bevel on the side that clips to the filter flange with a bevel cutting bit.

The two little holes I put in there were to affix the template to the metal ... and a mistake in placing one so close to the grommet. Welded'em up though so its no biggie now. Next time, it'd be in a better spot, and likely just riveted over once the cutting was done.

Beat the crap out of it traversing some Colorado passes last week and viola, no cracks! No leaks, no cuts to the Grommets... nothing.

Better - Cheaper - Just as Fast!

Also... as an aside... Those dern weirdly sized 1.3mmX6.3mm carb o-rings that like to leak, I sourced a bag of 1000. Anyone who needs some, pm me. SASE and the promise of a beer might get you a fresh set.
Thanks Sporting Wood for the details of your alternative set up
I've considered changing from the stock set up ( with Prefilter) on my 05 950 S to the CPR for a while know, but have been a little concerned about how it would go riding in Desert and high dust enviroments, water crossings are another cause of concern (to me).

Interested to hear others experiences.

I see that the ITG and CPR are held on by Dues fastners, but only on ones side, what secures the others side ?
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 880
I like the look of that set up too. Is it possible to get some filter skins for those filters so on real dusty rides/change skins mid way?
Interested !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #56
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I like the look of that set up too. Is it possible to get some filter skins for those filters so on real dusty rides/change skins mid way?
Interested !
Hi Ya'll, looking at doing the same thing but it looks like filter skins only fit the dome shaped filter. Anyone know if the the dome filter fits the standard CPR base and anyone got an internal height of the dome filter (think it might be 65mm or 100mm but not sure). I see you have to cut the trumpets down to use it.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #57
blublapp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
anyone been on the dyno with the 950 now?
blublapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #58
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
In the old days , we'd snake one of moms stockings and put it over the Uni, Filtron or K&N filter. Keeps the birds and whatnot out of your nice clean filter and cheap too.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #59
randel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Can anybody suggest what to change?
I'm running CPR airfilter setup with my 950SE
175 main jets
45 IAJ
IMS 1,5 turns out
Factory pro needle on 2 clip from top
Floats 4mm
Bike has great mileage and good power but when opening throttle from steady cruise 3rd/4th in city traffic it has maybe half second hesitation before accelerating strong. What can cause this? To lean IMS? Should I raise needle 1 clip? Change IAJ to 42? Raise floats?
How to get rid of this annoying hesitation?
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #60
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I bought head 2 winds Baja race jet kit for the CPR and full GPR 2-1. Great setup but thirsty as anything, range gone from 100miles on the tank to 70.. So off to the dyno man as think its too rich. Will see what they say.

950superenduro.com For those who own the best bike!
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote