Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
ArtCuisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I've owned about 30--mostly motorcycles with four scooters in there.
Currently own a Burgman 400 and a great all-rounder mid-displacement
standard motorcycle. That is my resume for my great perspective. :)

I say that if you have a current lust for a maxi-scooter, don't worry about
whether you will want it forever. Enjoy it until you lust after something else.
I have been very disappointed with some of my purchases over the years,
but I am glad I had the experiences. They all had some fun and they helped
guide me in later purchases.

Life is short. You don't need to settle on one thing forever.

But I will say one BIG thing in favor of scooters. If you think you want to socialize
in the flesh with like-minded riders, I have found scooter riders more casual and
much less annoying than one-brand or one-type motorcyclists. Generally,
I have found that scooter riders seem to have less to prove.
ArtCuisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Interesting question,
I just got my first Maxi scooter ( about 2200 miles now) and am pretty well satisfied with it.
Were it not for a problem with my left arm that causes severe pain in the elbow using a clutch i probably would not have made the switch from a motorcycle.

Will i go back to a motorcycle ?
Maybe, if my arm problem ever improves ( doubtful)

Then again why go back ?
If a semi-automatic transmission is good for F-1 drivers, Porsche uses a tiptronic semi automatic gear box, Honda is introducing a dual clutch transmission in motorcycles, I begin to think they are all on to something. Most of the youth today could not manipulate a standard shift transmission if you held a gun to their heads.
Who then is going to ride motorcycles ????

This coming from a stick shift person from the 40's/50's living in a turbocharged world
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
ajay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
Interesting question,
I just got my first Maxi scooter ( about 2200 miles now) and am pretty well satisfied with it.
Were it not for a problem with my left arm that causes severe pain in the elbow using a clutch i probably would not have made the switch from a motorcycle.

Will i go back to a motorcycle ?
Maybe, if my arm problem ever improves ( doubtful)

Then again why go back ?
If a semi-automatic transmission is good for F-1 drivers, Porsche uses a tiptronic semi automatic gear box, Honda is introducing a dual clutch transmission in motorcycles, I begin to think they are all on to something. Most of the youth today could not manipulate a standard shift transmission if you held a gun to their heads.
Who then is going to ride motorcycles ????

This coming from a stick shift person from the 40's/50's living in a turbocharged world

Find an '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE. I have one, love the electronic clutch. Shifting is done with either left index finger, or left foot - not both! Effortless. You do have to shift, but not necessary to get to neutral when stopping, will not stall starting from 2nd (many prefer not to use 1st).
ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I thought about the FJR A , but after talking with a dealer friend about the model ( he owns two Yamaha stores) I decided to pass.
Plus i really don't need that much HP any more.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
I thought Battle Scooters would be the best place to post this question. My only scooter experiences were an old early 80's Honda Express and a few years ago a 50cc Yamaha Zuma. I sold the Zuma b/c I found there were many places I didn't feel safe due to the relatively slow speed. However, I still remember how much fun it was to zip around on the little zoomer.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a Majesty, Burgman, Kymco, T-Max or another Maxiscooter. However, I wonder if I won't find myself longing for a regular bike after a few months. I have narrowed down my next bike purchase to either and FZ6, Ninja 650, Versys or a Maxi-Scoot. I love the storage, auto tranny, and weather protection of the scoots. I don't like removing body work for routine maintenance but I could deal with it.

My question is how many of you have moved from motorcycles to maxi scoots and then went back to motorcycles? And why?

Thanks
I'm the guy with the "Thinking of trading my KLR for a Burgman" thread.....FWIW I've got a bike and have had and riden a wide range of stuff and I still want a maxi. But it depends on what you are after. My cousin has a Versys, he traveled to Yellowstone and back with me this year and while I like the bike, I don't love it. Riding position is good/neutral almost dual sportish with a hint of forward lean. Passenger accomodations are small and lean toward the sport bike end of the spectrum. The engine is good that's about the only strong point I saw. Even with a large screen, wind protection wasn't great especially when compared to most maxi's. But when compared to the Strom or something similar the Versys does feel small and nimble. I haven't ridden the Fazer or the Ninja 650 but have had much sportier bikes, my ZX6 and my VFR and while the power is fun for a little bit after you get over the initial rush you start looking for the more everyday features that make riding enjoyable and comfortable. My buddy just got the new Honda NC700X and I'm not impressed with it either. I hear the engine is great with the automatic but I don't like it with the manual. And if I ignore the short comings on the motor, again I'm left with a bike with very little wind protection, honestly that thing is almost a naked bike with a fly screen. It does have storage but not quite enough to fit a helmet in, not a full face anyway. Personally I think if you want to corner carve and set the world on fire on the weekends then it's going to take a sportier bike to satify that. But if distance/comfort, storage, wind protection, ease of operation are what matter more to you, I think you'll be sorry if you don't look hard at a maxi. The only downfall you mentioned in your own words were, having to remove panels for maint. But honestly, ease of maint needs to be lower on the list, scotters aren't any harder than any bike and if it take you 20 minutes to get panels off to do an oil change or some adjustment, think of the thousands of miles you covered in comfort and the 20 minutes just won't matter. With all that said I'm at the point in my life where comfort for the long haul is overtaking the gratification of speed and hooliganism. How about you get the best of both worlds and get a T-Max, you have your sport and your scooter.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
Well the OP hasn't replied for 3 days but I'll add my 2 cents. I've owned over 50 two wheeled machine in my 55 years of riding. Started riding scooters and currently own a Burg 400 (for sale). I'm not selling because I don't like it but because I'd like to reduce the stable. I sold my RT and bought an NC700X w/DCT. It will do what I want and replace the Burg also. I can ride it daily, tour if I want, and haul it on the back of my motorhome. The Burg will do this also but why have two similar machines. I personally think the Burgman 400 is the best all around scooter available. A couple years ago I bought a Vespa 250. It was fun, fast and very manuverable but just didn't give me that secure feeling at speed. At no point did you say what you want to do with a bike/scooter. The biggest difference between a bike and a scooter is the riding position. As you stated the storage, auto trans and weather protection are great on the scooter.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
bogey78 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Thanks for all the great info guys. After reading all the replies and thinking about how I ride, I think the best thing for me right now is a motorcycle for the touring duties and a smallish (125-250cc scooter) for fun and some day trips. ArtCuisin has a good point that any bike or scooter can be a temporary ride and I can always change if I feel the need for something else. Still, I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a FZ6 and then look for a smaller scooter to tool around on. Of course, if I run up on a killer deal on a Tmax, Burg, or SWing my plans might change

Thanks again for all the first hand information.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Here are my toys.

The Jeep is for when I have to take the kids somewhere.

The Versys is for getting somewhere fast.

The Zuma is for relaxing and taking my time.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #24
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78 View Post
I thought Battle Scooters would be the best place to post this question. My only scooter experiences were an old early 80's Honda Express and a few years ago a 50cc Yamaha Zuma. I sold the Zuma b/c I found there were many places I didn't feel safe due to the relatively slow speed. However, I still remember how much fun it was to zip around on the little zoomer.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a Majesty, Burgman, Kymco, T-Max or another Maxiscooter. However, I wonder if I won't find myself longing for a regular bike after a few months. I have narrowed down my next bike purchase to either and FZ6, Ninja 650, Versys or a Maxi-Scoot. I love the storage, auto tranny, and weather protection of the scoots. I don't like removing body work for routine maintenance but I could deal with it.

My question is how many of you have moved from motorcycles to maxi scoots and then went back to motorcycles? And why?

Thanks
I first bought the Ninja 650 that you mention above, then figured out it's
a pain to ride around town (especially 2 up) so I got a 50cc scoot.

That soon proved to be to slow, so I got a 125cc scoot and that resulted
in the Ninja 650 gathering dust.

Early this year I sold everything and got the Kymco Downtown 300i ABS.
That thing has better suspension then the Ninja 650, better build quality,
and the brakes are about the same! The ABS works better on the Kymco
too.

I DO want a proper motorcycle again, but the 650R would not do.

If you can get the Tmax, you'll be shocked by the ride quality and handling.
These entry level 600 bikes can't touch it.

You might miss some power and shifting, but never around town.

I'd say get both.

I'd switch to a 150-200cc smaller scooter now and a Bandit 1250 if I
had the money. I've done 10k miles on the 300cc scoot in just over
7 months of riding, and it's flawless, but never as much fun as a proper
bike on the open roads.

Take a look at the Honda Integra 700.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #25
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
..one other thing about the bikes you mentioned, 650R/Versys/FZ6..

I've ridden all of them (Versys for just a minute), put maybe 300-400
miles on the FZ6, and owned the 650R for 5 years (20k miles).

I'd put the 650R in the last place between them all, the Versys has
more comfort, lighter handling, better midrange but it IS slower then
650R, and especially the FZ6.

While the 650R has a slight kick from 7k to 9k revs, the FZ6 has
that kick from 8k to 10k, and then I'll rip your arms out from 10 to 12k.

I've also found the FZ6 to have the best overall wind protection, it's
silky smooth, but you gotta figure out if you like big torque down low
or high revving sporty engine.

Most scooters will feel like they have gobs of torque everywhere and
pull instantly (while in reality, they spin up the revs fast and pull from there),
like the Versys.

The FZ6 after you get off the Ninja 650 will feel like a 300-400cc bike.
While it's super smooth down low, it's completely gutless.

It's still faster at those low revs (lets say up to 6k) then any of the
scooters you'd be looking at (at least up to 1cyl 500cc ones).

Even the Hornet 600 (Honda 599) will feel stronger down low then
the FZ6, and they share the same engine layout and size (even the power).

The NC700X with DCT might be the best all-rounder on the market today,
but it's not a fast bike.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #26
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
For the last 15 months, my Tmax has been my only street bike (besides my Agility scooter). After 40 years of riding motorcycles, I was not sure if I would miss a regular motorcycle, but I don't. The Tmax is perfect for the street and the way I ride. It is far more comfortable than any motorcycle I have ever owned, it has better wind and weather protection, it handles better (a very nice surprise) with crisp turn in and a combination of flingability and stability that encourages very enthusiastic asphalt dancing. No chicken strips at all - this bike loves to corner. The built in storage is a convenience I would not want to give up and the CVT has been the answer for my injured left hand. Gas mileage is excellent - my last road trip averaged 58 mpg. I have no desire to go back to a street motorcycle, although if I ever get this back problem cured, I would like to add a 250cc dual sport to the stable - the only thing the Tmax can't do is go dual sporting.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
MQracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
I went from a motorcycle to a scooter...but had 20 years in between.

For what I do, the Burgman 400 is the best bike made. Everything else is a compromise. It is fun and flickable in the corners. It'll take you down the freeway with great protection from wind, rain and cold...and has enough storage room to make a stop at Costco on the way home and surprise everyone on what you can carry home. It gets great gas mileage...like mid-60s, yet still has a decent amount of power. And it is comfortable. immaterial.

I'll second the comments made above. On any one count you could find another scooter or motorcycle to "outrank" the Burg 400--- but as a "package" of merits and virtues it's the best thing going on two wheels.

MSL
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1963 SHL M11 Lux
MQracing is offline   Reply With Quote