User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2836
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
valve adjustment shim kit?

I was wondering for the guys who has preformed valved adjustments on there new 500s. what shim kit do you recomend? i am planning on keeping this bike for while and figure i would like to have a kit on hand for the future to isolate all the trips back and forth the the motorcycle shop.
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #2837
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,019
Hot cams or prox kits will be fine I just the hot cam kit service to 690's
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2838
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I studded a set of Trackmasters last year with 20mm rally studs and I was pretty pleased with the results.I'm going to build a set with road legal car studs for days when the bare ground is frozen, the bare ground beats the long studs. I was lucky to snag a stud gun a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
I ended up getting a set built for me by a fellow here in Canada. He uses Bridgestone ed11 for the front and 404 in the back. He uses gripstuds. So now I wait for the tires to get delivered and stock up on bandaids for the ripped and torn knuckles when I go to mount them.

Looking forward to winter riding though so a little blood is a small price to pay.

Garrett
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #2839
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
I would like to eliminate the key switch on my bike and don't want to install the push/pull switch from Sicass, and their $5 plug leaves the running lights on all the time. Not sure about the KTM plug. Is there any easy way around this?
I posted some notes on this in post #2630

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #2840
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thank you, don't know how I missed that one. I will remove that plug and add the ignition elimination plug. Is there anything harmful about the fuel pump not priming before the engine starts to crank over?
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #2841
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
I posted some notes on this in post #2630
I used the hard parts key elimination plug. The lights turn off automatically shortly after the engine shuts down.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #2842
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
I ended up getting a set built for me by a fellow here in Canada. He uses Bridgestone ed11 for the front and 404 in the back. He uses gripstuds. So now I wait for the tires to get delivered and stock up on bandaids for the ripped and torn knuckles when I go to mount them.

Looking forward to winter riding though so a little blood is a small price to pay.

Garrett
Winter trail riding is great! I've got a winter enduro and Hare scramble coming up and we also have a winter Jday series soon, which is half MX and half scramble with some endurocross for fun. We also ice race I end up riding more in the winter than I do in the summer

good luck with your tires!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #2843
juvander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Looking forward for winter driving with this small little thing and hope to do some ice roads as well, like this with my GSA: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7757829&type=3
juvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #2844
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
Thank you, don't know how I missed that one. I will remove that plug and add the ignition elimination plug. Is there anything harmful about the fuel pump not priming before the engine starts to crank over?
With that plug removed and a jumper on the ign. plug, the bike is more or less the way the XC/W is wired from the factory.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #2845
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
New old topic again. KTM has a recall for SOME of the EXC's fuel lines. You'll get an official letter from KTM if your bike is one of the unlucky ones.

I did a bunch of these recalls today. The hoses have a build date on them, the format is Week and Year. All the effected hoses had a date of '12W12'. So, the 12th week of 2012. Check yours out.

Was the end of March some drinking festival in Austria?

Edit: just did another with a date of 26w12 and 27w12. So, it looks like early 2012, March-June.

Had mine fail the other day (04W11).... KTM advised it wasn't included under the recall...
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #2846
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Winter trail riding is great! I've got a winter enduro and Hare scramble coming up and we also have a winter Jday series soon, which is half MX and half scramble with some endurocross for fun. We also ice race I end up riding more in the winter than I do in the summer

good luck with your tires!
Thanks Crank...

How much snow (depth) can you ride in before it becomes more of a PITA than it's worth? I'm thinking a foot would be max. I'm excited about opening the low boggy areas and creeks, areas where you can't go in summer months.

Garrett
Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #2847
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Thanks Crank...

How much snow (depth) can you ride in before it becomes more of a PITA than it's worth? I'm thinking a foot would be max. I'm excited about opening the low boggy areas and creeks, areas where you can't go in summer months.

Garrett
3-4" is fun to mess around in, I'm heading out in the morning to ride in some fresh snow with ZimZooma. When it gets to be about a foot deep, the ruts can present a problem. If you're riding in virgin powder, it's fine though. Most fun is groomed snowmobile trails at night after a warm sunny afternoon or a light drizzle.....friggin race track

Here is a quick vid of me riding on a dirt driveway with about 4" on top.....

The ice is even more fun. In this video, I'm working on my flicking

Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #2848
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
3-4" is fun to mess around in, I'm heading out in the morning to ride in some fresh snow with ZimZooma. When it gets to be about a foot deep, the ruts can present a problem. If you're riding in virgin powder, it's fine though. Most fun is groomed snowmobile trails at night after a warm sunny afternoon or a light drizzle.....friggin race track
Thats looks FUN. Kept thinking you were going to low side on the lake. Very cool. I never thought of the night riding angle but there'd be a LOT of visiblity especially on a bright moon lit night. Thanks for the vids.

Garrett
Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2849
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
KTM 500 adventure bike

Has anyone set one of these up as an adventure bike (big tank, racks, side bags, seat) and done any long distance adventure rides?

Like everyone, I'd like a bike that can run pavement / dirt roads but work like a dirt bike on single track....

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #2850
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Has anyone set one of these up as an adventure bike (big tank, racks, side bags, seat) and done any long distance adventure rides?

Like everyone, I'd like a bike that can run pavement / dirt roads but work like a dirt bike on single track....

AK Greg
To answer your question in a word. Yes.

Numerous tanks are available-search this thread.

Racks. Globetrottin has a set.

Bags. Numerous, but the kind I'm using are Giant Loop, they have several different depending on what you want. Dirt Bagz may work and WolfMan bags are well made.

Seat. I love my SeatConcepts seat, this is my 4th seat from them. Renazco makes one, EnduroEngineering.

You'll find your answers if you look inside this thread. Tons of info here.

Good luck

Garrett