User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #61
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
Good Info...

I am learning lot's of good stuff here, thanks guy's & keep it up!!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #62
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,386
I'll be checking this thread often. I'm hoping to head down early 2014. I've got that baja almanac linked several times in this thread and it's pretty well detailed. I'd suggest you get a copy if you can.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #63
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Thumb Recent update

The tarmac stops just outside of Puertocito, from there to Alphonsina it is pretty sandy, with fairly deep silt at time, I dropped the GSA once there, as you will see in the pic we are pretty loaded, but it is really the camping gear for 2, and the winter riding gear that takes the bulk.

From Puertocito to Alphonsina

Others might have had no problems in these conditions but I have minimal off road experience and this was my first time in ''deep'' sand.

After Alphonsina to get to Coco's corner the road is not bad but again with sandy parts and loose fine gravel, we crossed 3 or 4 guys pre-running the course for the Baja 1000, all thought we were nuts to be here with the big GSA.

Getting to Coco's

The last stretch about 30 km from Coco's to the Mex 1 was very rocky with big rocks and large ruts, some loose gravel, washboard part, and several relatively steep hills with sand wash at the bottom, all doable, but two up loaded it was tough, I manage to keep the bike up for the approx 60 km and maintained a speed of about 45-50 k/hr. I felt I needed to keep the speed at that level because of the sand.

From Coco's to Mex 1

We did the 500 km from Bahia de Los Angeles to Mulegue on tarmac today and it was great, heading to Loreto tomorrow.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #64
WhorehayTheBarbarian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
If you enter at Tecate I vote Compadre Trail.

Im in San Diego if you guys are riding through... stop bye for a drink.

I only read the first couple pages... You should be prepared for plenty of dirt either way. Dirt is just part of baja.
WhorehayTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #65
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,960
Understood. Not a problem with dirt. Deep sand....
Old 11-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #66
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
A while back I started a Baja information thread. I set it up to be an indexed thread, like the tent space list. It hasn't grown much, but there are a couple useful links. If you have something to contribute, please do!

Linky:
For Baja Travelers

I also got a couple of long overdue updates done today.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:24 AM
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #67
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

GREAT link!

Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #68
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
The tarmac stops just outside of Puertocito, from there to Alphonsina it is pretty sandy, with fairly deep silt at time, I dropped the GSA once there, as you will see in the pic we are pretty loaded, but it is really the camping gear for 2, and the winter riding gear that takes the bulk.

From Puertocito to Alphonsina

Others might have had no problems in these conditions but I have minimal off road experience and this was my first time in ''deep'' sand.

After Alphonsina to get to Coco's corner the road is not bad but again with sandy parts and loose fine gravel, we crossed 3 or 4 guys pre-running the course for the Baja 1000, all thought we were nuts to be here with the big GSA.

Getting to Coco's

The last stretch about 30 km from Coco's to the Mex 1 was very rocky with big rocks and large ruts, some loose gravel, washboard part, and several relatively steep hills with sand wash at the bottom, all doable, but two up loaded it was tough, I manage to keep the bike up for the approx 60 km and maintained a speed of about 45-50 k/hr. I felt I needed to keep the speed at that level because of the sand.

From Coco's to Mex 1

We did the 500 km from Bahia de Los Angeles to Mulegue on tarmac today and it was great, heading to Loreto tomorrow.

VERY impressed you did all that two up on a GSA with all the gear.....
Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #69
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Bump this on up... Lots of great leads, ideas, places to see and be. Thanks to all so far.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #70
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post

Instead of racing to Cabo (which to me shouldn't be the highlight of your trip), take the hard packed sand road along the coast south of La Paz to Cabo.

Except further south it gets a bit sandier (at least when i was there in 3/2012)
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #71
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

We aren't racing to Cabo....we have four weeks and are going to be taking it very, very slow. Plan on sitting on beaches, drinking beer, reading/fishing and generally fucking around...(as I noted in the first part of the thread). Cabo is ONLY a point where we turn around....don't even plan on staying there. I sailed there in 85.....there was NO marina...now it's a rich guy/tourist playground. Have zero interest. Just want peoples input on places to see and stay.

DaFoole screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 07:10 PM
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #72
DaFoole OP
Born Again Asshole..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post

Except further south it gets a bit sandier (at least when i was there in 3/2012)
Where is this? Looks GREAT!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #73
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Looks like Boca de Alamo maybe?

lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #74
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post

Nice!

I gotta deeper into Baja, only barely scratched the surface.......
K75STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #75
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther11 View Post

Although I didn't know it by that name,,great vid!

Pic was taken just as the road out of San Juan de los Planes, and over the mtn pass, reaches the Gulf of Cali..this stretch was one of my fav memories from my Baja trip...

Look into Cabo Pulmo area further south for a couple days relaxation
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote