Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

I get nervous when people say they want bulletproof. I understand the sentiment, who wants to work on their bike all the time? Well, I do actually, but that's another story But here's the deal. If you want no maintenance, that makes me feel like you won't look after the bike and those are the people I find have the most problems when they least want them, ie on trips.

Having soul and low maintenance is like meeting a supermodel out a dive bar, probably not happening, and if it does, please let us all know how it turns out. And the name of the bar thank you
Maybe I should be more specific. I don't mind wrenching, but I don't want my bike laid up in a shop for months on end, or nickel and diming me. I am just learning, but I like working on things.
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Youll end up with multiple bikes. It happens to us all.
Yeah. That's a hard sell with the Mrs....for now.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #33
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
FishrCutB8 sez::

"I am loving the new Tiger 800 XC but the price is way out of my league."

With your list of requirements.....think again about the Tiger 800XC...it is a simply brilliant motorcycle and will do exactly what you wish to do. I tried different bikes and rate the 800XC as simply the best all arounder out there.
You're not helping either... :-)
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #34
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Well, I've got some input for you. First, I believe wizz is wrong about the Uly. I now have an 06 Uly & an 05 DR650 I just bought. I got it because I was looking for some easy to load in the truck bikes to take camping. My wife and I usually take the Buells and ride to Colorado or New Mexico and camp and explore.
I decided that if we loaded up bikes and drove out we would have more time to enjoy once there. I'm rambling.

Anyway, I spent yesterday riding the DR & Uly back to back on gravel and two track pasture roads trying to compare them. Right now I am about as undecided as you are. I'm not really seeing a big difference on roads that would be about equal to Forestry Service roads or easy Jeep trails in Colorado. I thought the DR would be a big improvement on these roads but it isn't much different. Now, I will be the first to admit I am a far from serious rider. I just like to explore and see new places.
I'm sure the DR would really come into it's own on single track or very rough Jeep trails but that's not what I ride. I am sure the Uly kicks it's butt in comfort, especially passenger comfort, power and highway travel. Gas mileage seems to be oddly the same.

I hope you find what your after! I have 5 bikes in the garage and still haven't found what I'm looking for but the Uly seems damn close and it is a real bargain. Lately, I have seen several for 4k or less. I don't care what anybody says, it's an awful good bike for the money. I'm sorry for the long winded post

Good Luck.
Murf
Not long-winded at all. This is part of what I was looking for. I have seen people busting on them, but the people who ride them seem to love them. With HD giving up on Buell, though, I worry about getting parts later on.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #35
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel View Post
Do you really want to go two-up? Maybe the ladies need their own bike? that new Honda 250 is looking pretty sweet and the WR250 Yam has been very well received.

Shhhhhhhhh...this is part of my long-term plan, but we're not there, yet.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Check out the Yamahonsuzutriktmbeemerasaki. That seems to have just what you're looking for.
Is it available in orange?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
I started riding this Summer and got a 2003 Suzuki SV 1000, which has been a fantastic bike. Zippy through the twisties, fantastic acceleration, great as a commuter to work. It looks great, sounds great (Twin Brothers exhaust) and runs great.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut.....Here's the thing. Or rather, the things.

While I was riding, I started noticing these other roads. They're dirt. And, I'm curious about what might be up there. I live in Central PA and there are a lot of dirt trails and fire roads and the like. The thing about the SV is that it's really not up to the task.
Stick with what you know, the VStrom 1000 is a good mix of what you want. More of a standard, so more upright than the SV 1000, priced in a good range, not a ton of changes between years, so used is a viable option. Ins. is cheap.

Consider a set of Heidenau K60 tires. Bias, but long wearing and a more aggressive tire that can better handle off pavement, but is still a very good street tire too. I routinely see 12k+ on the rear on my heavier Super Tenere.

Spring for some of the crash bars and skid plate. Then, don't stress about it falling over. It happens. If you have the protection, no damage occurs, just a little scrape or scratch, no big deal. Ride on.

Jaxon Fife at Ride On ADV has the Heidenau tires, as do other vendors. Jaxon is good people. Get the guards that you like and make you feel secure, then just ride the bike. The ManStrom will do well in commuter mode, two up mode and won't suck horribly off pavement. Just remember it's not a dirt bike and take it easy and you'll have a blast. The VStrom 650 is perhaps better balanced and more flickable in the twisties, but for two up it's a little lacking and frankly, the extra Hp of the 1000 is kinda nice on the commutes and any longer trips on the slab.

Don't bother with the exotics. Not that they don't have things to offer, but for what you describe wanting to do, you don't need the extra cost or maintenance.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #38
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi View Post
I'll throw a used 1150 GS into the mix. I picked up an 1150 GS Adv for $6,000 with new clutch, Jesse's, and a whole slew of farkles.

Great bike, and I am a mechanicle moron and was able to do the valve adjustment. TB sync? Well, a man needs to know his limitations...
Another bike I had not considered. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

I have to say, this place is so AWESOME! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and responses thus far. Thank you.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #40
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Get a pair

Like the odd other I reckon you could be better going for a couple of bikes. Let the old Shelia, and the kid (once licenced, but she's not to young to start learning. I started riding when I was eleven) ride their own. The two up malarky is ok for a bit, but I prefer riding solo. Go on your own when you want. Ride in pairs when you want company.

Why not go for something like a Honda CBR250R and a CRF250L. OK only a quarter litre, but they would cover your bases (on and off road) on relatively lightweights that are fun to ride. They are highway capable, and byway in their element.

The pair could be had not much more than a just one bigger machine; less than something exotic. At 70 mpg, and generally cheap to run, they would cost not much more to own than than a single big bike.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
This is what you want. I've seen used '12s under $10k.
It looks like prices are coming down, so perhaps waiting is the answer. Couldn't hurt - I live in PA and there isn't a lot of riding weather ahead for a while.

Curious about where you look for bikes. Craigslist. Cycle Trader. These seem the usual places. Anywhere else?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #42
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 831
found my ulysses on adhuntr. com

Rode a 1am bus to Columbus, Oh in April & picked it up. Fun leisurely 2 days back to old hickory, tn...
dean
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #43
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
you're definitely in the denial stage of MBS (multiple bike syndrome) however, it can be cured or rather the symptoms can be treated, for a while

1 - you can buy a new bike which you will be happy with for some time, but you will miss your current bike and or wish you had never gotten rid of it

i recommend the Tiger 800XC, Super Tenere, Ducati MS, or the F800GS

2 - you can get another bike and it will prevent your MBS symptoms from arising for some time. you will then forego the withdrawals of selling your bike but will hit you in the wallet pretty hard.

or for this route you could get a Street legal KTM XC model, a KLR, or something similar as a 2nd bike.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappNBrrap View Post
you're definitely in the denial stage of MBS (multiple bike syndrome) however, it can be cured or rather the symptoms can be treated, for a while

1 - you can buy a new bike which you will be happy with for some time, but you will miss your current bike and or wish you had never gotten rid of it

i recommend the Tiger 800XC, Super Tenere, Ducati MS, or the F800GS

2 - you can get another bike and it will prevent your MBS symptoms from arising for some time. you will then forego the withdrawals of selling your bike but will hit you in the wallet pretty hard.

or for this route you could get a Street legal KTM XC model, a KLR, or something similar as a 2nd bike.
Might as well add the R12GS to the list of possibilities. In the seven years I've owned mine, six other bikes have come and gone. It's the best bike I've ever owned.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #45
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Here's the thing about BMWs, and it could be sacrilegious to say it, especially here: I don't trust them. First, the cost of repair on these ,a hinges seems higher compared to other bikes. True or not, I don't know, but that has been my overriding perception.

Second, I have a buddy who had problems with his servo unit on the ABS. His bike locked up and down he went. Not cool. Even less cool is that this has been a documented problem with BMW ABS and they don't seem to be terribly interested in recalling the bikes. They'd rather, it seems, have owners come in and spend the $2k to get the thing fixed.

Like I said, brand me a heretic and burn me at the ADV stake, but I just can't get past that perception...