User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Stumpy Pete OP
Semi-Regular Guy

Oddometer: 7
Question Moving Stored Tracks from Phone to GPS -- Is it possible?

I have a GPS V that will store 10 tracks. I'm comtemplating a trip for which it'd be nice to store more than 10 tracks, like maybe 20 or 30. It seems like I should be able to store tracks on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and send them to my GPS V. (These tracks wouldn't be created by the phone, just uploaded to and stored on the phone's SD card.)

Is there an app for my phone that'll let me store tracks on my phone and send them to the GPS V as needed? Or is this something that's just never gonna happen?

Thanks!

Stumpy Pete
Stumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy Pete View Post
I have a GPS V that will store 10 tracks. I'm comtemplating a trip for which it'd be nice to store more than 10 tracks, like maybe 20 or 30. It seems like I should be able to store tracks on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone and send them to my GPS V. (These tracks wouldn't be created by the phone, just uploaded to and stored on the phone's SD card.)

Is there an app for my phone that'll let me store tracks on my phone and send them to the GPS V as needed? Or is this something that's just never gonna happen?

Thanks!

Stumpy Pete
Most likely answer is, it's not going to happen.

Your GPS-V only supports Serial Data Transfer (In/Out). So, your Android phone would need to have a Serial Data Transfer application that could interface with the Serial-to-USB Cable you'd need from Garmin to physically connect your GPS-V to your Android phone. You might be able to find the cable (there was one) but you'd spend much less time and maybe money, by purchasing a new GPS.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 961
No software. No easy serial interface. For practical purposes, impossible.
It is so easy to use the that phone as a better GPS, so I'm not sure I see the point.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Stumpy Pete OP
Semi-Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Most likely answer is, it's not going to happen.

Your GPS-V only supports Serial Data Transfer (In/Out). So, your Android phone would need to have a Serial Data Transfer application that could interface with the Serial-to-USB Cable you'd need from Garmin to physically connect your GPS-V to your Android phone. You might be able to find the cable (there was one) but you'd spend much less time and maybe money, by purchasing a new GPS.

Cheers,
Thanks, DRTBYK!

The hardware seems easy enough. The GPS V has four pins on the back. Two are for power, two are for data. Beyond that, I know very little about how that data gets into the GPS.

I figured the bigger problem was that the phone doesn't normally (if ever) send data through its USB port. My computer can receive data from my phone, but the computer has to "ask" for it. The phone can't initiate the transfer. The phone is passive during the transfer. The GPS is the same; it can't initiate a transfer, either.

I know just enough about this stuff to imagine things I'd like to do and ask questions. Maybe someone who knows lots more than I do will teach me something.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Stumpy Pete OP
Semi-Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
It is so easy to use the that phone as a better GPS, so I'm not sure I see the point.
My phone makes a good GPS in a car, to find a certain kind of store, or to go pick up a bike I bought on eBay, but it doesn't work at all on most trails, and it doesn't let me build routes and upload them. Even if it did, I wouldn't use a relatively expensive phone in a dirtbike environment to do something a $200 GPS can do at least as well

I don't need more than 10 tracks very often, but if there was a way to move tracks from a phone to a GPS V, I'd keep at least 100 tracks on my phone and have them whenever I might want them.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,747
More than a couple years ago, there was a guy who was making a data transfer interface from an old Compaq iPaq to a 2610 or 2720. A friend had one of his rigs and intended to use it on the TAT.

But short of that, I've not seen anything else that would hook up directly short of a computer.

I do have a USB to serial adapter (somewhere) that I could use with my laptop and the old III+ that I had years ago. So, if you were able to get your info from your phone to a laptop or netbook with Mapsource on a thumb drive, and had the means to go from that to the GPS V, it might be doable.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote