ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #76
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
De-cat them, might save some weight there
Thought about it, but as I understand the cat only weights 0,5kg as shown on thread below, so
I wont be touching them until I hear the sound.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...v_exhaust.html
Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #77
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
Madness!!!

I'm so in!

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #78
sakurama
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,407
Wow, one of my favorite engines in one of my favorite bikes. Subscribed!

Buy some mandrel bends for your headers and cut and splice. Sand packing can work but might not be worth he time and energy. Try to keep your gas low as was mentioned - your using suspension from the tallest adventure bike so keeping weight low will help.

Great job so far! Looking forward to watching this.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #79
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Madness!!!

I'm so in!

Madness?? This is...

Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #80
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Wow, one of my favorite engines in one of my favorite bikes. Subscribed!

Buy some mandrel bends for your headers and cut and splice. Sand packing can work but might not be worth he time and energy. Try to keep your gas low as was mentioned - your using suspension from the tallest adventure bike so keeping weight low will help.

Great job so far! Looking forward to watching this.

Gregor

Always good to get positive feedback - makes you work harder! Thanks guys!

About the mandrel bends, difficult to find, atleast in Estonia.
Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #81
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,844
Wow, this is an amazing project. You are literally building your own bike. Very few people would attempt that. I sure hope it works well, but even if it does not turn out to be exactly what you are hoping for, it is still mind blowing.

I notice the new Honda VFR1200X was designed for riders who "spend most of their time on pavement" If that is the case, then I totally don't get it. Look at that thing. Super tall, tiny little seat, almost like a sportbike, I sure don't see it being comfortable on a long trip. And for me, at my age and in my condition, comfort is everything on a long distance trip.

If you need some off road capability, then you will have to sacrifice some comfort. But that being the case, why not get a KLR650 for a fraction of the price of that Honda. If you don't need off road capability, a Goldwing is the only way to go on long road trips. I realize that a new one is a bit expensive for many, but you don't have to have a new one. Goldwings last forever. I have a '95 that I would not hesitate to take off for anywhere on. It can even be ridden on fairly smooth dirt roads. I think Honda is trying to sell a look (BMW GS maybe?) rather than a functional motorcycle. It will probably cost as much as a GS too.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #82
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer
 
griffo1962's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Carrara, Qld, Australia
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacamole View Post
Just flushed the tank with high pressure water couple of times and left the water inside,
a better way is to run the exhaust from a petrol engine vehicle into the tank for a short while, this neutralises the petrol vapours.
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #83
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Wow, this is an amazing project. You are literally building your own bike. Very few people would attempt that. I sure hope it works well, but even if it does not turn out to be exactly what you are hoping for, it is still mind blowing.

I notice the new Honda VFR1200X was designed for riders who "spend most of their time on pavement" If that is the case, then I totally don't get it. Look at that thing. Super tall, tiny little seat, almost like a sportbike, I sure don't see it being comfortable on a long trip. And for me, at my age and in my condition, comfort is everything on a long distance trip.

If you need some off road capability, then you will have to sacrifice some comfort. But that being the case, why not get a KLR650 for a fraction of the price of that Honda. If you don't need off road capability, a Goldwing is the only way to go on long road trips. I realize that a new one is a bit expensive for many, but you don't have to have a new one. Goldwings last forever. I have a '95 that I would not hesitate to take off for anywhere on. It can even be ridden on fairly smooth dirt roads. I think Honda is trying to sell a look (BMW GS maybe?) rather than a functional motorcycle. It will probably cost as much as a GS too.

About the VFR1200X it feels desperate solution from Honda to keep up with competitors, they should ressurect Africa Twin.
Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #84
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
Tank choppin

Chopped the tank little bit and will merge two tanks as mentioned before



Lower side for cheking



Inside of the tank

Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
gpmucci
gpmucci
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 212
Fantastic job man!
I think would be easier build a new tank instead modify these.
gpmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #86
Quacamole OP
Adventurer
 
Quacamole's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 73
It's been awhile...

Have been busy with other matters and was waiting for the company tig welder to arrive
to start with the tank building.

Sneak preview of riding position, still missing the saddle though,

Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #87
milzispete
Conquistador
 
milzispete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 251
Thumb progress :)

I thought you had given up on us. So glad you haven't
__________________
they don't make 'em like they used to. which is a good thing really
milzispete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #88
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kennon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford, Cambridgeshire, NT Hong Kong
Oddometer: 278
any updates on this build?

Kennon
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #89
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Victoria, Australia
Oddometer: 101
Mufflers

If you want to save weight on the mufflers, then the only way to go is after market sports mufflers, the pair will weigh less then 1 original. (Sound better as well).
Project is excellent work, looking forward to finished project.
Keep it up.
Chappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacamole View Post
Thought about it, but as I understand the cat only weights 0,5kg as shown on thread below, so
I wont be touching them until I hear the sound.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...v_exhaust.html
__________________
Visit my website for exhaust and mufflers
http://www.mcperformance.com.au
mcperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #90
kellymac530
motorcycle addict
 
kellymac530's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: so. cal.
Oddometer: 1,052
Don't know how I missed this thread before, but WOW. Great work so far and very inspirational for me. Excellent frame work and nice looking tank work as well.

I bought a R1150 Rockster tank on ebay for $49 including free shipping. It has a bigger dent on the left side than yours does on the right, but I am just using the underside as a belly pan and fuel pump mount and will do something different for the outer shell, similar to your style...keep us posted PLEASE....mad skills man, mad...LOVE IT. Takes a pretty serious set of klackers to build your own frame from scratch... Do they make you walk funny?
__________________
it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
kellymac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014