Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
BMW G650X Challenge - Help! diagnosing issue

Lets start with some details of the bike
  • BMW G650X Challenge (as per title)
  • It has Mindas fairing which means the wiring to the front as somewhat altered
  • has just had 60,000K service done by me
  • I run it for a week after that and it all seemed fine

Today went on a rather gnarly ride (well tried to ) and as soon as I got into rough bit at low speed the bike would die. After a few attempts and check the ignition barrel cables it kept doing it, it actually seemed to get worse, so had no other option than bail out (there is no way to get out of the track if its not under your own power as it happens).

Note on the way back on the road on 3rd, 4th and 5th it seemed fine except once that seemed to die for a second but when pulled clutch in it came back to live. It pulled strong, but again at low speed it would die.

The problem had sort of manifested sporadically before during my daily commuting but I thought it was the ignition barrel than every now and again craps out , i.e. the cables coming off. However keep in mind that run fine on the road.

The battery is fine (its 6months old), and started the bike about 50 times no problem.

At home I pulled the ignition barrel and checked it properly and it seemed fine.

Checked the switch on the stand and it also seems fine although haven't rule it completely out it doesn't seem to be the problem.

My suspicion is on electrics, a faulty cable, or the fuel pump which by the end of my assessment doesn't seem to prime when the ignition is turned on and finally the bike doesn't want to start. First question here would be how to ensure the fuel pump is fine.

Well is probably not very organized, but I'm not mechanic.

Any ideas?

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
I would not assume anything about the battery. It can't hurt to get it checked. Given that it is happening at low speed, perhaps your stator is faulty and failing to charge the battery. This would also be worse on slow technical trails or in traffic with a lot of starts and stops. Did you have any additional load on the system (heated gear, aux lights)? (Edit - I just saw you're in NZ, so I assume heated gear doesn't apply right now).

But I would agree, it sounds electrical, and the ignition switch wiring was probably a good place to start.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I would not assume anything about the battery. It can't hurt to get it checked. Given that it is happening at low speed, perhaps your stator is faulty and failing to charge the battery. This would also be worse on slow technical trails or in traffic with a lot of starts and stops. Did you have any additional load on the system (heated gear, aux lights)? (Edit - I just saw you're in NZ, so I assume heated gear doesn't apply right now).

But I would agree, it sounds electrical, and the ignition switch wiring was probably a good place to start.
Thanks for reply. Correct, no extra load at this time it was very nice day.

All lights seem fine, voltage on battery is ok. Further to that is that now bike doesn't start though it cranks so again doesn't look like the battery and I can't hear the fuel pump priming at all. Checked the plug and its got voltage 10.6 when bike is on.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yesterday disabled the sidestand (following http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302125) safety switch and the bike still didn't start.

I believe now the battery is not properly charged. Regrettably the charger failed so I'm waiting to get another one which may take a few days to arrive no bike in the meantime

Checked again voltage on plug to fuel pump still 10.6, and still no sound out of pump.

I'm considering taking the bike to the dealer, though list time they complained about my wiring not being standard ...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today removed the airbox to check the wiring, also removed the injector and fuel line. There was fuel coming out of there I would have thought if the fuel pump wasn't working there wouldn't be any (Still no sound on fuel pump when ignition key is on though).

Haven't seen anything visibly wrong with wiring.

I'll clean injector next, although again it looks spotless.

The battery voltage is adequate, but my charger died so I'm waiting to get another one which may take a few days

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
clean the actuator and throttle body as well
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
clean the actuator and throttle body as well
I had taken everything apart about 2 weeks ago during 60K service when I adjusted the valves and clean, air filter, air filter housing, throttle body and actuator and bits and pieces.

One possibility is I had screwed up doing that service, though thinking about it the problem had shown before sporadically and never bothered looking more cause as soon as I started going then the bike went fine. I'm in the end a noob in mechanics all service and repairs I've done are following someone else steps which likely for this engine are fairly good

Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
well if stipping biek down be 1 item check. also take battery to a motorfactors they will be able text it for you.

if get bike running put multimeter across batter and see how it performs.

i am new to the xch only have mine few days and have similar hot start issues
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
maat
meh.

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
as soon as I got into rough bit at low speed the bike would die.
Are you sure its low speed? Could it be low RPMs? I had the problem of dying at low RPMs and had to get out of the woods by opening the throttle wide and working the clutch. Once I was on the open road in 3rd and 4th it was fine but stalled at every stop.

After trying all of the things you have listed, a throttle reset fixed it.
maat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 528
have you had the ignition re soldered? the connection points in there tend to be crappy. I had exact issues you described, kept on riding until it stranded me after adding not starting after being run for a few hours to the list.

YMMV there is a an issue log for the challenge and you may run into the problem/solution there.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
make sure to try to start it or when it starts to move the handlebars side to side all the way and see if it dies or cuts out. i had a pinched wire on my f650gs and it would die at low speeds when i turned to the right. it was actually pulling a connection out when i turned the right by stretching one of the wires.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Are you sure its low speed? Could it be low RPMs? I had the problem of dying at low RPMs and had to get out of the woods by opening the throttle wide and working the clutch. Once I was on the open road in 3rd and 4th it was fine but stalled at every stop.

After trying all of the things you have listed, a throttle reset fixed it.
I guess its possible, it was low revs, also believe I did the reset. Trying to get out of a meter deep rut I revved it hard, it seems it was cutting at that stage and maybe power was down, cause it shouldn't have been that hard to climb out of it.

I'll retry reset procedure, jsut in case

Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
have you had the ignition re soldered? the connection points in there tend to be crappy. I had exact issues you described, kept on riding until it stranded me after adding not starting after being run for a few hours to the list.

YMMV there is a an issue log for the challenge and you may run into the problem/solution there.
I did re-soldered, also bypassed it by connect it directly and didn't make any difference, thus I assume its not that.

I actually had that problem a few months ago and I thought this time was the same think however last time resoldering it solve the problem not this time ... I pulled apart the barrel twice so far, hoping for a simple fix

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
make sure to try to start it or when it starts to move the handlebars side to side all the way and see if it dies or cuts out. i had a pinched wire on my f650gs and it would die at low speeds when i turned to the right. it was actually pulling a connection out when i turned the right by stretching one of the wires.
It seemed to be it was related to that due to non-standard front tower which causes cables to move more than on the standard setup, however I haven't been able to find any wire that seems faulty, and not sure which ones to measure yet.

That is one of the things I'm still trying to rule out, its possible the cable if any with a pinch maybe affectign the fuel pump cause I can't hear the priming (as I said )

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #15
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today tried to jump start the bike with my mitshi no luck didn't start at all. I guess that would discard the battery, right?

Started checking for open loops on a few cables also checking more closely for damaged wires, not luck.

I'm starting to think seriously about going to the Dealer

Also consider buying gs-911 to check for fault codes, but since I don't own any other Beeemer and I'm unlikely to have another one (considering the bikes they're building are not for the type of riding I like) it is probably a waste ...