Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
pampaX OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
BMW G650X Challenge - Help! diagnosing issue

Lets start with some details of the bike
  • BMW G650X Challenge (as per title)
  • It has Mindas fairing which means the wiring to the front as somewhat altered
  • has just had 60,000K service done by me
  • I run it for a week after that and it all seemed fine

Today went on a rather gnarly ride (well tried to ) and as soon as I got into rough bit at low speed the bike would die. After a few attempts and check the ignition barrel cables it kept doing it, it actually seemed to get worse, so had no other option than bail out (there is no way to get out of the track if its not under your own power as it happens).

Note on the way back on the road on 3rd, 4th and 5th it seemed fine except once that seemed to die for a second but when pulled clutch in it came back to live. It pulled strong, but again at low speed it would die.

The problem had sort of manifested sporadically before during my daily commuting but I thought it was the ignition barrel than every now and again craps out , i.e. the cables coming off. However keep in mind that run fine on the road.

The battery is fine (its 6months old), and started the bike about 50 times no problem.

At home I pulled the ignition barrel and checked it properly and it seemed fine.

Checked the switch on the stand and it also seems fine although haven't rule it completely out it doesn't seem to be the problem.

My suspicion is on electrics, a faulty cable, or the fuel pump which by the end of my assessment doesn't seem to prime when the ignition is turned on and finally the bike doesn't want to start. First question here would be how to ensure the fuel pump is fine.

Well is probably not very organized, but I'm not mechanic.

Any ideas?

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote