Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #14446
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 1,942
compared to my (paint shaker) 640A my S10 is silky smoooooth.

At 2800 miles it's now starting to do everything better. Shifting, power etc.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #14447
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 383
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
This engine feels like a busy, buzzy inline 4, not a relaxed big twin.
That's an absolutely comical statement regarding this motor, couldn't be less accurate.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #14448
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
I have to agree with Dallara 100%. Give the engine time and it will smooth out. When I first bought mine last year, the vibes were killing my feet and hands. I had ridden motorcycles with every type of engine known to man prior to the S10; boxer twin, singles, V four, inline four, etc.. None of them bothered me the way this thing did. I didn't expect an inline twin to be glass smooth but I also didn't expect my hands and feet to tingle and buzz for hours after riding either. I freely admit that I whined and bitched extensively here. I even got Yamaha customer relations involved. The recurring advice I got from others was to give it time. This motor takes a looooong time to break in. That was the only thing that kept me going. Initially, instead of wanting to ride my new bike I had to force myself to ride it. I'm glad I did though. As the miles accumulated, the bike became smoother. At 13k miles and counting, I'm happy to say that my S10 is a completely different machine
That or you just went numb Scotty. Lol.
The firing order and parallel design will contribute. But I will say, I rode my buddies Super 10 and it was very smooth to me and it didnt have much mileage on it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 11:53 AM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #14449
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
That or you just went numb Scotty. Lol.
The firing order and parallel design will contribute. But I will say, I rode my buddies Super 10 and it was very smooth to me and it didnt have much mileage on it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason there were a few bikes that were buzzier than the majority when they were new. I guess I just had a really tight motor. I like to think that mine was built to tighter tolerances so it should last longer than most.

sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #14450
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
I owned a DL1000 and went to ride day a year or so ago and happened to get a ride on an S10 and a Tedium with about the same amount of Km (1500 I think)

I had spent lot's of time on the Strom getting the engine as smooth as I could and compared to a couple of other Strom I tried it was a bit smoother.

In the end the Tedium was the smoothest, The S10 was a bit rougher and the DL1000 was bit more rougher.

I liked the little Tedium motor and the S10 motor but only the Strom gave me any complaints in the buzzy hand department and that was usually only after 5 hours on low octane fuel.

My current ride (S10) is really smooth except at around 4000rpm where a few vibes tend to intrude a bit.

I have never ridden a new S10 though.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #14451
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
For some reason there were a few bikes that were buzzier than the majority when they were new. I guess I just had a really tight motor. I like to think that mine was built to tighter tolerances so it should last longer than most.
You should be still here in 20 years then

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #14452
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

"can I put more than 5Kg on the back of the Tenere? Will it break? Can it take it?"

From Barrel over at YST.
How about this.....

A portable washing line stand, a portable satellite dish kit and a small twin tub washing machine. Oh and a fat bastid.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #14453
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
How about this.....
A portable washing line stand, a portable satellite dish kit and a small twin tub washing machine. Oh and a fat bastid.
Quote:
You're touring Europe with that stuff??

Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #14454
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,666
Quote:
I have to agree with Dallara 100%. Give the engine time and it will smooth out. When I first bought mine last year, the vibes were killing my feet and hands. I had ridden motorcycles with every type of engine known to man prior to the S10; boxer twin, singles, V four, inline four, etc.. None of them bothered me the way this thing did. I didn't expect an inline twin to be glass smooth but I also didn't expect my hands and feet to tingle and buzz for hours after riding either. I freely admit that I whined and bitched extensively here. I even got Yamaha customer relations involved. The recurring advice I got from others was to give it time. This motor takes a looooong time to break in. That was the only thing that kept me going. Initially, instead of wanting to ride my new bike I had to force myself to ride it. I'm glad I did though. As the miles accumulated, the bike became smoother. At 13k miles and counting, I'm happy to say that my S10 is a completely different machine. It still has that big twin "character" that I wanted but it no longer feels like I'm riding a giant sex toy.

Sounds like you're describing my S10 to a T. I've also been riding for years and have owned close to 50 bikes, many of them twins so not speaking from the voice of inexperience. Thinking that the vibes are probably why the PO traded the bike in with just 4200 km on it to get a 12GS.

At what mileage did yours begin to smooth out? I put 2200 km on mine this weekend, bringing it up to 6400 km total.

twinrider screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 03:00 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #14455
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
You're touring Europe with that stuff??

A man has to do his washing !

Seriously, no. It was when I had a camper. Now I have a Landy.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #14456
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Sounds like you're describing my S10 to a T. I've also been riding for years and have owned close to 50 bikes, many of them twins so not speaking from the voice of inexperience. Thinking that the vibes are probably why the PO traded the bike in with just 4200 km on it to get a 12GS.

At what mileage did yours begin to smooth out? I put 2200 km on mine this weekend, bringing it up to 6400 km total.
Its hard to say exactly when it began to smooth out but I would guess around the five or six thousand mile mark. Around that time I remember taking a several day trip to the mountains where I rode aggressively. Lots of high rpm riding with constant rpm changes. It seemed that the harder I rode it the smoother it got. Currently, I have over 13k miles on it and I would say that it has improved even more. If you want my humble opinion, don't abuse your bike but ride it and ride it hard. That's what I have done and my S10 seems to get better with every mile.

As a small caveat, I have found that my bike loves the cold. The colder it is the smoother she runs. From what I've read, thats completely normal for a lot of bikes. I live in Atlanta where it gets very hot and humid in the summer. When its hot out the bike has more of that twin character but it is not even remotely close to the buzz that it had before.

sparkyairracing.com

scottie boy screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 05:47 AM
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #14457
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,544
You ex GS owners have been holding out on me. I just came back from Moab today.
2010 1200 GS was on the ride I got to trade bikes on the slab. Wow what a motor!
Just blew the Tenere away in a drag race and roll ons. I mean bad.

He liked the feel of the Tenere and was dinking around doing parking lot manuvers.

The GS felt like a street bike with wide bars to me. Nice plush ride. Just the way it
sat and less leg room. Nice bike, I'll keep the Tenere over it. I'll just miss being the
ass kicker. Well at least on road. Off road the Tenere had no problem holding it's own.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #14458
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
2010 1200 GS was on the ride I got to trade bikes on the slab. Wow what a motor!

He liked the feel of the Tenere and was dinking around doing parking lot manuvers.

The GS felt like a street bike with wide bars to me. Nice plush ride. Just the way it
sat and less leg room. Nice bike, I'll keep the Tenere over it. I'll just miss being the
ass kicker. Well at least on road. Off road the Tenere had no problem holding it's own.

Mo photos? You are slipping!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #14459
Boyd Koehler
I'll ride anywhere.

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

I don’t have ANY idea what you’re talking about. I had my GS for over two years and when I first test rode the S-10 I knew the Yammie had the Beamer covered on HP. (maybe it’s the rider in your case )

Yes the german machine is smooth on the road and I did like it on the dirt but... I’d NEVER trade my Yamaha Super Tenere for a GS.

Just my 2-cents.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #14460
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:

ass kicker. Well at least on road and in the sand. Off road the Tenere had no problem holding it's own.
fixt