Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Mountain Motorrad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Oregon Coast

Hello Riders,
I would like to pick your brains on the must see and the must rides on the Oregon Coast/ west coast. we are planning for a few weeks to go from Canmore, Alberta Canada to the Oregon coast and beyond. We really don't have a destination in mind so anything you can throw our way would be great.

Cheers,
Todd & Jenn
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,032
Seriously the whole OR coast is worthy of a ride and it would take a book to fill you in on everything. I'd start in Astoria and go south (always go south so the turn outs are easy to use). At Tillamook take a right and go to Cape Mears and take in the coast on the way to Pacific City. Take your time, poke around and take in sights as they come. Be sure to see the Bandon Rocks tough. If you are camping there are tons of nice state campgrounds all along the coast. South of Bandon is my favorite, Cape Blanco.

I'd send off for a guide book so you can find things you are looking for most or post your question in PNW regionals. Beware though, a lot of those guys are smart asses.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Starting from the Astoria bridge coming south from Washington:

Ride up to the park on the bluff overlooking Astoria and climb the winding stairs in the Astoria tower column for a nice panoramic view of the area and good pics. It's mighty tall and you can see forever on a clear day.

Best places to eat in Astoria are down the side streets off the main drag. Ask around. The locals know.

Visit Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark wintered in 1804.

Ride over to Fort Stevens State Park and do some beach combing and get the obligatory shot standing next to the wreck of the Peter Iredale whose large haunting ribs and hull are still rising from the sand.

Take a circle tour inland from Astoria on 202 to Jewell and cut back to Sunset Hwy 26 and back west to 101 at Tillamook head.

Explore the logging roads that wander around to the top of Tillamook head just north of Cannon Beach.

Wander around out Cannon Beach trail road north of Cannon beach that follows the coast north of Cannon Beach out past Ecola State Park

Just south of there is Smugglers Cove and the Devils Cauldron on the beach side and some great logging roads across the highway wandering up into the coast range that are a hoot.

Nehalem Bay State park is worth a look riding out to the end of the spit and doing some beachcombing.

Miami Foley road is a fun inland road from Nehalem to Garibaldi that parallels the more built up Rockaway beach area straight part of 101.

At Tillamook where 101 cuts inland there is a fun road 131 that heads over to Netarts and wanders down Netarts Bay to Cape Lookout State Park and rejoins 101 south of Pacific City.

Tillamook Air Museum is worth a look just south of town. Housed in a gigantic blimp hanger made entirely of wood during WWII. I was in awe of all those honkin clear fir gluelam beams knowing what they cost today.

Fun backroad up Cascade head south of Neskowin.

Speaking of air museums, you could cut inland at Lincoln City and head up over the Van Duizer corridor and visit the Spruce Goose for a side trip over to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum over in McMinnville in Mista Vern's backyard.

South of Lincoln City stop at Depoe Bay and watch them make salt water taffy. Check out the spouting horn across the street if the surfs up. Nice pic of the fishing boats in the picturesque harbor from the bridge.

Just south of whale cove take the Otter Crest Loop which is the old highway that winds down to Devils Punch Bowl and back to 101.

North of Newport is the Yaquina head light house worth a look and Agate Beach is nice beach combing.

Stop at Mo's for some clam chowder in Newport. The Newport Bay Aquarium down under the bridge is worth a look. The jellyfish display is mesmerizing and watching puffins swim underwater is a hoot.

Climb to the top of Seal Rock at the state park. Fun road into the coast range up Beaver creek and back.

In fact I would recommend cutting inland at Waldport all the way to the Mary's Peak turnoff at the top of the pass and winding up to the top of Mary's Peak for a stunning view out over the coast range. Fun road too.

There are a lot of roads cutting inland up into the Coast range between Yachats and Heceta Head that are worth a detour. Yachats river road, Tenmile road, Cummins Peak Rd, Big Creek, Cape Creek. All worth exploring.

Sea lion caves is super touristy, but with a bike you can park easily and take the elevator down to the caves.

Heceta head lighthouse is the moneyshot you see on postcards.

Old town Florence down on the bay is a quaint place and worth a stop to stretch your legs and for some eats and a decent cup of coffee.

Just south of Florence is dune buggy rentals near Honeymon State park. The Oregon sand dunes area there is huge. Really fun to rent a little ripper one person buggy and tear it up around the dunes for an afternoon. Or if you have a light bike with rimlocks air down the tires and have at it either here or at the dunes down by Coos Bay.

At Coos Bay where 101 cuts inland a nice ride is out Cape Arago Hwy out to Arago State Park and Shore Acres State Park. Old lumber barron built a mansion that burned down long ago but the gardens are still there and the rock formations are eroded in interesting ways by the tides.

Seven devils road will get you back to 101.

Bandon is a cool little town to stop for a bite to eat and some decent coffee.

Cape Blanco is a nice detour with a lighthouse. The state park rents out yurts if you want to get ready for your next Mongolia adventure.

South of Port Orford are haystack rocks and Humbug mt. State Park. Nice area.

Jet boat rides up the Rogue river at Gold Beach. Or failing that just cut inland right after the bridge on the county road that heads up to Agness. Really beautiful detour. Lots of nice riding up in the coast range in this area.The motel 6 in Gold Beach just south of the bridge is cheap and pretty nice with a swimming pool.

Gold Beach to Brookings is a beautiful stretch.

Just south of Brookings, the Chetco River heads up into the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area. Really beautiful area to explore.

And that gets you to the California border. Northern California is not to be missed. Klamath river, Lost coast, hwy 36, 299, Trinity wilderness area, Redwoods, Hwy 1. Woot! That should get you started.

Should be fun!

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 08:35 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Mountain Motorrad OP
Adventurer

WOW Thanks Guys!!

Holy Crap!! Thanx for all of the info so far just reading this makes me want August to be here! Can you guys also recommend good eats? We love doing the Diners, Drive in and Dives thing, so much character to be found!

Todd & Jenn
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
More Orygun temptations- http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepa...?page=statemap

One of the best roads inland from the Orygun coast is Highway 34; take it at least as far as the turnoff to Marys Peak, ride to the top and back, and then stop for pie and ice cream in Alsea on the westbound return leg.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 238
Try the Pelican Pub/Brewery in Pacific City for good food and good beer, and Fort George Public House in Astoria for great beer and a killer sausage platter.
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 401
What kind of bikes are you riding?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I shall chime in. We will be riding 2 F650GS's, and a F800GS. Maybe one more bitch boy comming if he can get time off.
I've been looking forward to this ride for years. We did the Glacier park, Montana, and Idaho last year and had an epic trip. Gotta love the USA.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Something to ponder....

The entire Oregon Coast is public property. You can't build a development that is near the sand that blocks access to the water. There have been several court cases where developers had to put a public access point through the middle of their development so that people could access the sand. You could literally walk every mile of beach without anyone uttering the word tresspasser. There are so many parks, view points, lighthouses, restaurants, breweries I wouldn't know where to start. One thing I will say is that when you see a sign that says "Wayside" take the turn. The waysides are old sections of Highway 101 that were too narrow and twisty to have traffic flow smoothly. Everyone of my favorite spots along the coast is just a wide gravel spot along the side of the road that I just happened to stop at to see why other folks stopped there often enough to make the wide spot. Have a great trip!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Mountain Motorrad OP
Adventurer

Sorry guys I have not checked this post for awhile, as you can see one of my riding mate picked up the slack! Thanx for all the info and keep it coming!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
rnrdozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
We ride up the Oregon coast every year to the Oregon brewers festival in Portland. This year its the 26th through the 29th of July. If you can make it its a great time. down town Portland is a fun place, with great resturants and pubs everywhere. One of my favorite stops along the coast is Newport Oregon. We camp at the Southbeach state campground and actually walk to the Rogue brewery from there. Down in the harbor is a resturant called Local Ocean and it has a chioppino they call fishermans wives stew. It is by far the best chioppino I have ever had!!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
That shall be done. OMG that looks great!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Mountain Motorrad OP
Adventurer

Wow I can not wait to have fresh Seafood like that!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
thylightguy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Starting from the Astoria bridge coming south from Washington:

Ride up to the park on the bluff overlooking Astoria and climb the winding stairs in the Astoria tower column for a nice panoramic view of the area and good pics. It's mighty tall and you can see forever on a clear day.

Best places to eat in Astoria are down the side streets off the main drag. Ask around. The locals know.

Visit Fort Clatsop where Lewis and Clark wintered in 1804.

Ride over to Fort Stevens State Park and do some beach combing and get the obligatory shot standing next to the wreck of the Peter Iredale whose large haunting ribs and hull are still rising from the sand.

Take a circle tour inland from Astoria on 202 to Jewell and cut back to Sunset Hwy 26 and back west to 101 at Tillamook head.

Explore the logging roads that wander around to the top of Tillamook head just north of Cannon Beach.

Wander around out Cannon Beach trail road north of Cannon beach that follows the coast north of Cannon Beach out past Ecola State Park

Just south of there is Smugglers Cove and the Devils Cauldron on the beach side and some great logging roads across the highway wandering up into the coast range that are a hoot.

Nehalem Bay State park is worth a look riding out to the end of the spit and doing some beachcombing.

Miami Foley road is a fun inland road from Nehalem to Garibaldi that parallels the more built up Rockaway beach area straight part of 101.

At Tillamook where 101 cuts inland there is a fun road 131 that heads over to Netarts and wanders down Netarts Bay to Cape Lookout State Park and rejoins 101 south of Pacific City.

Tillamook Air Museum is worth a look just south of town. Housed in a gigantic blimp hanger made entirely of wood during WWII. I was in awe of all those honkin clear fir gluelam beams knowing what they cost today.

Fun backroad up Cascade head south of Neskowin.

Speaking of air museums, you could cut inland at Lincoln City and head up over the Van Duizer corridor and visit the Spruce Goose for a side trip over to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum over in McMinnville in Mista Vern's backyard.

South of Lincoln City stop at Depoe Bay and watch them make salt water taffy. Check out the spouting horn across the street if the surfs up. Nice pic of the fishing boats in the picturesque harbor from the bridge.

Just south of whale cove take the Otter Crest Loop which is the old highway that winds down to Devils Punch Bowl and back to 101.

North of Newport is the Yaquina head light house worth a look and Agate Beach is nice beach combing.

Stop at Mo's for some clam chowder in Newport. The Newport Bay Aquarium down under the bridge is worth a look. The jellyfish display is mesmerizing and watching puffins swim underwater is a hoot.

Climb to the top of Seal Rock at the state park. Fun road into the coast range up Beaver creek and back.

In fact I would recommend cutting inland at Waldport all the way to the Mary's Peak turnoff at the top of the pass and winding up to the top of Mary's Peak for a stunning view out over the coast range. Fun road too.

There are a lot of roads cutting inland up into the Coast range between Yachats and Heceta Head that are worth a detour. Yachats river road, Tenmile road, Cummins Peak Rd, Big Creek, Cape Creek. All worth exploring.

Sea lion caves is super touristy, but with a bike you can park easily and take the elevator down to the caves.

Heceta head lighthouse is the moneyshot you see on postcards.

Old town Florence down on the bay is a quaint place and worth a stop to stretch your legs and for some eats and a decent cup of coffee.

Just south of Florence is dune buggy rentals near Honeymon State park. The Oregon sand dunes area there is huge. Really fun to rent a little ripper one person buggy and tear it up around the dunes for an afternoon. Or if you have a light bike with rimlocks air down the tires and have at it either here or at the dunes down by Coos Bay.

At Coos Bay where 101 cuts inland a nice ride is out Cape Arago Hwy out to Arago State Park and Shore Acres State Park. Old lumber barron built a mansion that burned down long ago but the gardens are still there and the rock formations are eroded in interesting ways by the tides.

Seven devils road will get you back to 101.

Bandon is a cool little town to stop for a bite to eat and some decent coffee.

Cape Blanco is a nice detour with a lighthouse. The state park rents out yurts if you want to get ready for your next Mongolia adventure.

South of Port Orford are haystack rocks and Humbug mt. State Park. Nice area.

Jet boat rides up the Rogue river at Gold Beach. Or failing that just cut inland right after the bridge on the county road that heads up to Agness. Really beautiful detour. Lots of nice riding up in the coast range in this area.The motel 6 in Gold Beach just south of the bridge is cheap and pretty nice with a swimming pool.

Gold Beach to Brookings is a beautiful stretch.

Just south of Brookings, the Chetco River heads up into the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area. Really beautiful area to explore.

And that gets you to the California border. Northern California is not to be missed. Klamath river, Lost coast, hwy 36, 299, Trinity wilderness area, Redwoods, Hwy 1. Woot! That should get you started.

Should be fun!

Kindest regards,
John Downs
WOW... I know this was posted ages ago, but I found it as a result of searching for things to do while visiting friends in Newport. Thanks for breaking this down, as I will be sure to do at least a few of the things on this list.

@rnrdozer:
I had no idea that I could get such a beautiful meal right there in Newport. Sure the chioppino looks great, but I'm talking about that ICE COLD beer in the background. Lol. Every time I see this picture I get hungry!
thylightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
The Trip was amazing!