Team motto of the Boston Red Sox
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #11027
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
"There are two kinds of lost...not knowing where you are and, not knowing where you are going."
-ME
Thats true, glad I am neither, see below... It states NEVER lost...

My gyros won't tumble...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #11028
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Quote:
Not to change the subject but, what do you consider the top ten towns to avoid in Mexico?
I believe that you should listen to the News really good! Because if you do, you will know that most all of the violence is drug related. Assuming that you are not going to be involved in the Drug Scene, your chances of encountering a problem are greatly reduced. Other than that, limit your time in border towns and avoid areas that don't look good. I have had no problems in over 40,000 miles and five or six months traveling in Mexico, including all of its states.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #11029
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
"There are two kinds of lost...not knowing where you are and, not knowing where you are going."
-ME
I always know where I am... Earth. And I don't care where I'm going, main reason I haven't bothered with a GPS up to now.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #11030
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
As they say, "wherever you go, there you are"... As long as its on a motorcycle or somewhere with my "toes in the water, ass in the sand" I'm happy..
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #11031
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 571
+1

Fortunately you were only asked for 10 or you would still be writing.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If I was in Mexico, the top ten towns I would consider avoiding are Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Tucson, San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Albuquerque and Mobile.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #11032
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
OK, I'll say it. Mexico has it's own xhit-hole towns too! I can truthfully say that the traffic swallowed me up & spit me out when I passed through several. "If there was"(and there's some truth therein) a way to enjoy certain places/towns here & in Mexico-it's on foot! Some parts of Mexican towns(even some of the best ones & same in USA) can be very nasty in a variety of ways. Streets full of trash piled everywhere & blowing hither & yon! Streams dry or flowing with straight pipes & you name it in them. Do I love Mexico;YES! Does it have its nasties;YES!
Talking about the USA's worst ten anything reminds me of the many lists of best colleges,best party towns,best place to retire,on & on,we all,like they say, have one, don't we? I def. don't want to live in SA,TX but had a fun couple of days there once.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #11033
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Not to change the subject but, what do you consider the top ten towns to avoid in Mexico?
I'd be reluctant to hang around Juarez these days, although I did spend a day there about 12 years ago and lived to tell the tale.

Otherwise wouldn't worry too much. And while I agree with everyone about situational awareness personally I hang around Nuevo Progreso, Reynosa, and Nuevo Laredo - all border towns - and have no troubles.

The most nervous that I have been when in Nuevo Laredo was when I went to get my hair cut and realized that all the young lookouts were getting their hair styled at the same place that I was at ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #11034
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #11035
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Mexicans die so that Gringos can get high.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #11036
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
While riding back east from Tombstone we took NM route 9 through the Animas Valley to Columbus New Mexico where we checked in at Martha's Place (more on that later) crossed in to Mexico for dinner at the Pink Store& Restaurant(excellent) in Palomas. We took a stroll around town, dropped off a prescription at the Optica,my riding buddy got an eye exam by a doctor who was highly recommended by the owner of Martha's Place, had a couple of beers at a local cantina and rode back to Columbus after sundown. I must say that the border crossing was quick, the authorities were pleasant and the folks in Palomas could not have been nicer. I never once felt or saw anything that would cause me alarm. Went back the next day to pick up our glasses strolled around some more and departed for the east.
Now a word about Martha's Place. Martha and her husband Javier were great hosts, very attentive to our needs and very informative about the area, Pancho Villa State Park, the border crossing and Palomas. The room with two beds and a bath was spotless and a bargain at $60. The restaurant served an excellent breakfast. Great place I recommend it.
I just thought I would pass along my experience because I have not seen much about this area on this thread. Hope it helps someone. Here's a pic of Martha's Place.

Joe Mc screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 06:27 PM
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #11037
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Yeah! Only gringos get high. Everyone knows that!

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #11038
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Mexicans die so that Gringos can get high.
More like Mexicans die because other Mexicans kill them for no good reason.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #11039
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
More like Mexicans die because other Mexicans kill them for no good reason.
No, Mexicans kill one another for money and drug territory (valuable.) It is Norte Americanos who kill others for no good reason. Think Aurora theater, Virginia Tech, etc., etc.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #11040
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I've been trying to figure out how one could guarantee a 5 gal bottle is filtered water.. Not saying I have a general distrust (or that I don't), , but I could see some places refilling 5 gallon bottles from the tap and charging bottled water prices to help with profit.. I would be much more comfortable with small bottles that have tamper proof lids but understand the trash factor. I have water bottles with purifier straws, sounds like I may be taking them along.. Not the easiest for filling a hydration pack though.
The modern equivalent to drinking from a stream then walking upstream is drinking bottled water then visiting a water purification plant. Made that mistake once in Mexico. Never again.

I no longer pack all the various supplies I once did. Just carry a large prescription bottle of Hydrocodone 10. Learned that can be traded for anything you need.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote