Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #946
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Finally managed to make it through the entire thread. So much interesting stuff to see and take in. Thanks for all the pics, and reading material. Looks like a blast.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #947
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Next step is to work backwards. Again, one of the most difficult things about a long-term goal is that, without a Drill Sargent, a professor or a supervisor busting your balls, it's easier to settle into leisure 35 minutes (or whatever your commute is) after sliding down the dinosaur's back. 5 years later the future becomes the present and dreams remain unfulfilled.

Connecting the future with the present is quite easy, though, if you break each goal down into components and work backwards. For instance--to run a marathon next year seems like an impossibility to someone who can't run 1/2 mile today. And a week or two struggling with 14 or 13 minute miles will discourage all but the most dedicated. But set it up to look like this and it doesn't seem so bad:

Marathon - Dec. 2013
20 Miles - Nov. 2013
17 Miles - Oct. 2013
15 Miles - Sept. 2013
6 miles April 2013
4 miles Feb. 2013
2 miles Jan. 2013
1 mile Dec. 2013
Go out for walk today!

If you have your 7 (or 2 or 9) goals, write out how to get there (for each one, drop down style) and spend 90% of your free time in the next year working towards them. The result of 'working backwards'?: in an instant the present becomes the future; depression and anxiety become joy; every moment takes on a significance that previously was absent. A direct relation between what you do and who you are becomes tangible--an everyday, every-hour, every-second occurrence. Be confrontational with yourself now, enjoy the rewards soon enough. New-found confidence begets audacity.

I say this ~22 years into mindlessly practicing all of the above, crossing off a list of the things I wanted to do and experience in the world. Just be forewarned: 1) desires increase with possessions and 2) the hairy hands of fate are pugilistic and will try to pummel you as much as they can.

Restless? I know I am. My next goal? After Austin I'm doing 1000 miles (in one day). On the Panigale. Muhuhaahaaa.

HAH! As I typed that a piece of a molar glaciered off in my mouth. Impending doom? Bring it on, hairy hands.

Had Catfish, btw, SGrider. Along with one too many Sazeracs. Forigive me if no pics are forthcoming. :)

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 10:24 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #948
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Anti, loving your stop in NOLA, we were there visiting my sis/brother in-law this summer, past two actually. Don't forget to visit the Preservation Jazz Hall, it was a moving experience for me. Additionally, Cochon and "The Butcher" (same location) are two restaurants/eateries that are a must.

Glad you're enjoying New Orleans, it really is a special place.

Thanks for sharing,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #949
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Anti, loving your stop in NOLA, we were there visiting my sis/brother in-law this summer, past two actually. Don't forget to visit the Preservation Jazz Hall, it was a moving experience for me. Additionally, Cochon and "The Butcher" (same location) are two restaurants/eateries that are a must.

Glad you're enjoying New Orleans, it really is a special place.

Thanks for sharing,
Hit up Cochon for lunch with my Pa. Though I was looking forward to it with great anticipation, Couchon was a disappointment. Ribs were blah. Fried alligator was good, but thick cotton balls could have been substituted for meat and it would have been just the same (fried anything with a sweet, succulent sauce is a recipe for ok-ness). Sat at the bar, which gave us a great vantage point for what we missed out on which might have tasted better--but what we were served was slightly disappointing. Loved seeing the drugged out, white-lipped motherfucker on the corner firing bullets into the surrounding buildings with his fingers, though.

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 10:50 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #950
GP1152
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Anti, not sure if you ever saw our ride report from a few months ago. We also "tour" on our Ducati's. Me on a Streetfighter S, the wife on a Monster 696. Our trip, as is the case for most not-so-lucky people, was limited to 15 days (something about work and other responsibilities).
Anyway, really glad to have been able to catch up on your trip. Keep it coming my friend. This RR should bridge the gap and get us through to our next journey, which will hopefully be sometime in January.

Stay safe......

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #951
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I'm going to try your advice on weight loss.
Need to loose more than a few pounds before my trip next year.
6'2" and 243, just isn't cutting it on an R1.
Years of work and stress, I guess I just kept pushing stuff back.
If it works, I'm trying in for a million dollars! BWahahahaha (evil laugh)

Thanks for the advise/plan and the great RR.
I can't wait for mine next year, so I will be doing a weekend one, ones a month until then.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #952
65bmwr50
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Marathon thoughts.

I just read your thoughts about running a marathon. Up until this year I had never run further than a mile. And that was a slow mile. June of this year I decided I would run the Richmond (VA) half marathon. Started training where a mile would about wipe me out and finished the half in 2 hours. Might not have been fast, but it was 10 minutes faster than my goal!

Loving the ride report. BTW, the pictures of the food had me drooling. That looked awesome.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #953
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Goals: in my experience, way too many people get 'goal' orientated and forget about the 'journey' to the goal! If you get fixated on your 'goal', you will, in all likelyhood, become disappointed. I realize people function differently in achieving goals, but many folks I know have quickly become disillusioned when their goals were not attained, or they realized that achieving them was much more difficult then they realized. IMHO, if they set a goal, then said, 'Im gonna have a shit load of fun on the way to my goal', they're already 50% there. In my experience, achieving the goal was anti-climatic. What I learned, felt and experienced on the way to my goal are permanently embedded in my memory banks!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #954
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,392

If you'd like to have that repaired inexpensively I can give the name of a good dentist in Neuvo Progresso , Mx. Just accross the border, no need to take the Panigale out of the US.
I went twice last year, implants and follow up.
Progresso is in the Brownsville area.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #955
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
Goals: in my experience, way too many people get 'goal' orientated and forget about the 'journey' to the goal! If you get fixated on your 'goal', you will, in all likelyhood, become disappointed. I realize people function differently in achieving goals, but many folks I know have quickly become disillusioned when their goals were not attained, or they realized that achieving them was much more difficult then they realized. IMHO, if they set a goal, then said, 'Im gonna have a shit load of fun on the way to my goal', they're already 50% there. In my experience, achieving the goal was anti-climatic. What I learned, felt and experienced on the way to my goal are permanently embedded in my memory banks!
Agreed. Destination always equals a death, even if it is a muffled, quiet one. But if someone is moving towards a goal and isn't experiencing a profound happiness (at least some of the time) while doing so, they need to pick something else to do (or change the way they perceive what they're doing). The latter was my method to connect the future with the present--and in doing so also connects the journey to the goal, infusing each step of the way with the grand magnificence we at least believe the end-result to contain. Too many people go through school, for instance, never realizing that it's not the degree they're after. Instead, they see homework and sitting through lectures as an obstacle to their goal when it's, in fact, the goal itself (or at least tiny fragments available for immediate consumption)!

The male spider might be killed when he succeeds in courtship--and achievements might be anti-climactic--but if we pay enough attention there's a moment the end when we reach the height of our capabilities and are able to peer beyond the limits of our own mortality, if only just for a moment.

(And then the rock rolls back down and Sisyphus begins again.)

AntiHero screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 07:54 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #956
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
I was with you until "morality." Did you mean mortality? If not, please explain in more simplistic terms. Thanks.
Duh. Gimme a break - of course he did.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #957
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
So true, AH, about school. Too often these days I encounter students who are only interested in the degree, many of whom openly show their utter disregard for learning. Most of those just see a degree as a sort of entrance pass to a high-paying job, which, they assume, will not require any of the education they so assiduously avoid. I do not know if this has always been the case and I'm only just seeing it, or whether this is a new phenomenon. It may be in part at least, the result of our national education system's emphasis on testing. To some of the students it almost seems as though it is just a game to be played - how to get the highest grade with the least work. Efficiency is wonderful but when "least work" = "least learning" I get worried. Seems to me that once upon a time one went to school, particularly college, to "get an education" and that now students go to "get a credential."
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #958
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
So true, AH, about school. Too often these days I encounter students who are only interested in the degree, many of whom openly show their utter disregard for learning. Most of those just see a degree as a sort of entrance pass to a high-paying job, which, they assume, will not require any of the education they so assiduously avoid. I do not know if this has always been the case and I'm only just seeing it, or whether this is a new phenomenon. It may be in part at least, the result of our national education system's emphasis on testing. To some of the students it almost seems as though it is just a game to be played - how to get the highest grade with the least work. Efficiency is wonderful but when "least work" = "least learning" I get worried. Seems to me that once upon a time one went to school, particularly college, to "get an education" and that now students go to "get a credential."
I think a lot of them also to get into the right Alma Mater. Just being in there can open the right doors to a richer future.....Sad that most of those spots go to the well connected.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #959
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Duh. Gimme a break - of course he did.
Yes, but what if our friend meant exactly what he typed (as he invariably does)? Opens up an entirely new vista to contemplate.
OldBoldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #960
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Finally able to log in after a whirlwind week. Good stuff as always Anti. The reverse goal approach grates against my procrastination tendencies (in a good way). Glad to hear you have been relaxing in NOLA. Hope you enjoy the great state (Republic?) of Texas - spent many years over there and it's a different sort of place.