User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Super. OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I may be browsing for a little while longer!
Super. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Getting started I'd look for a well set up 650 thumper, brand not important, as long as it's in good shape. It will be cheap to buy, cheap to own, and easy to sell when, and if, you feel the need. Keep in mind most adventure bikes will need a bit of work to get them just right for your needs. It's part of the fun.

Air heads are pretty cool but I believe you need a certain mindset to own one. I may some day buy one but it will not be my only bike. If you are serious about owning I'd strongly suggest doing some in depth research first.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,114
Which one will be more forgiving when you drop it in a driveway or parking lot, making those newbie mistakes we all make? If you bought a used, loved KLR, it won't depreciate much below what it is. The 07's were the almost the exact same as the 88's, so there's not a lot of market growth there. Don't let anybody kid you, KLR's are friggin rockets. Mine will do interstate speeds, and occasionally pass a car.

I would point any new motorcycle owner toward a used dual-sport like a KLR or DR, just because they're cheap, cheap to fix, and very forgiving of those amateur mistakes (that a lot of veterans still make). If it doesn't jive with you after a few thousand miles, sell it and upgrade to the BMW. Neither is a fully-faired tourer that's gonna give you much protection in the cold.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
The KLR was built unchanged for 21 years....parts-o-plenty, world-wide.....

Needless to say I ride an '06 KLR with 60,000 miles on it, rode into work this morning it was 21 degrees outside, a 36 mile commute.

I've ridden 500 mile days solo, 400 mile days 2-up....I even raced the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge on it, rode it to the race and home the next day after the finish. The best bike I've ever owned.

True about depreciation, but, the KLR drops off quickly although it levels off in the $2400-$3200 range. You can find '92 models for $2500....and '05 models for $2500.....

Ok....that's my $.02 worth, but when it comes to an affordable adventure bike, none better than the do-it-all KLR.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If I were to ride around the World it would be on a DR650 or an Airhead GS.
I am going to presume you are quite a wrench to even think of taking a 20-40 year old moto around the world. Leave the romance of the airhead to the experienced hands. Maybe get one later when your relatively trouble-free Japanese cycle leaves you jaded.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
I am going to presume you are quite a wrench to even think of taking a 20-40 year old moto around the world. Leave the romance of the airhead to the experienced hands. Maybe get one later when your relatively trouble-free Japanese cycle leaves you jaded.
Have you actually owned a airhead.The internet makes it sound like a airhead breaks down every week.Not true.They have some well known faults,just like the KLR.Once sorted they are very very reliable,and they are easy to fix.Parts may be even more universal than KLRs.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,426
Question

I'm in a similar boat, trying to decide whether to keep my '88 R100GS or look for a DR650 set up for adventure rides (like South America etc). I love the R100 (only recently got it so I'm still learning how it works), and any long and dirty trips would be a while from now, but I test rode a DR650 and thought it was a nice little engine (although the bike itself was set up poorly IMO). My 1200GS is about to be hacked (getting a sidecar added) but I think I'd be more inclined to have something simpler for any kind of RTW-esque trips. The airheads continue to do long distances (this one only has 33k miles) and its in my possession, but the idea of the dirt-simple DR is tantalizing.

Grr. Too many danged bikes to choose from!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
KLR

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802714

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
I've had three KLRs and they were fine machines. The only real shortcoming that I was unable to fix was the weak electrical output. Yes, I know, there is a slightly bigger stator available, but it still isn't enough juice. This lack of wattage will limit the heated clothing you can wear, probably to gloves only. If freeway and cold weather riding are your primary decision drivers, then the BMW is the better bike. My guess is, regardless of which one you buy, it probably won't be your last!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochstader View Post
In the past 20 years, I have owned one (troublesome) GS, and 8 KLRs.
That sums up my answer to your question!

El Mur.
That's funny because I had a KLR and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. Bought it new, it was nothing but trouble, spent more than half the time I owned it in the shop for warranty or down for maintenance of one kind or another. Oh, my favorite part, was that I only had it 2 years and it was worth half of what I paid for it when I sold it.

My 1200GS on the other hand has been flawless and truly capable of taking what I have dished out at it and more.

I'm sure the R100GS would be the same.

KLR advantages.... Cheap!

GS advantages.... Everything else!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
I
OTOH...if most of your riding will be on the freeway, the KLR probably isn't for you. It's happy at 60-70 mph but above that it's a vibrating, oil consuming unhappy camper. "Smooth" is not a term that will ever describe a KLR. As my riding took me further from home and required more slab to get to cool stuff, I realized I needed something different. Hence, the Wee Strom now in my garage.

Everything is relative. Coming from dirtbikes and riding only thumpers on the street. I felt my brothers KLR650 was pretty nice on the highway, (same thing w/ my buddies KLR I rode a few times.) Smooth with decent wind protection. Yes, its not a powerhouse on the open road. Especially compared to more powerful street bikes. Where I thought it was fine. My brother hated it and eventually sold it. His bike before it was a Suzuki Bandit 1200 and he just couldn't get used to the 35 horsepower thumper. He said it was okay on a dirt road, but hated it while riding to said dirtroad.

I prefer thumpers, but have fun either way.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,595
All you need to ride a motorcycle around the world cheaply; is a KLR and a milk crate.

Apples and oranges. Tooling around on dirt roads, hauling a shit load of gear, cheap to maintain then get a KLR. Cool factor, BMW, Bring More Wallet or Big Money Waster.

From a guy who has a wife driving a 545 IL.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
61,000 miles....1 valve adjustment......Just lots of tires and.oil changes.

'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #29
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Get the Airhead GS and join The Airheads, save your repairs for local Tech Days and you only pay for parts and Beer.

Best $25 dollars of Motorcycle Money I ever spent.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
RPKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I 've had 4 airheads and spent a LOT of miles on a friend's R100GS/Dakar(in Europe). Then I rode my first KLR in '89. Sold the last Airhead and never looked back. Why ? Because the KLR just handled the pavement so much better. The Germans didn't call them "Gummy Cows" for nothing.

Coming up on 100K miles on 3 KLR's since.

Just my $.02.
RPKLR is offline   Reply With Quote