Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #16396
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,021
luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
Looking for luggage opinions... I've looked through the entire thread (165 pages ) Seen some nice options... Was originally thinking metal mules but they're pricey and not completely sure I want boxes. Some really nice tail bag/tank bag combos (wolfman) have some nice bags. Pelicans and ammo cans... Anyone use giant loop basin bag? What are people using for, let's say a moto camping setup on your scrams? Or on a trip?

Thanks in advance
milestones I'm not a fan of hard cases. I use a GL on my dakar and have sat it on the scrambler, looks ok... but... the freakin thing leaks like a sieve in any sort of wet weather... & yes the seams have a had a go over. The Gl is a tough bag but I can no longer put up with it's lack rain proofing.

The young fella has Enduristan monsoons on his XT600 so i've swung them over the seat and will make a prototype frame this week to hold them off the exhaust and try them out next weekend . He can unpack it faster than I can too.
Will post a pic next week.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #16397
Donkey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Thanks gents! I appreciate the feedback on luggage options and looking forward to more

here are a few pics, mods are underway...

2010 Ducati Monster 1100S abs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa - for sale: http://tinyurl.com/nzte25b
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #16398
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Thanks gents! I appreciate the feedback on luggage options and looking forward to more

here are a few pics, mods are underway...

Wish my 07 still looked that pretty, I ride it every day on dirt roads going to work so it,s never properly clean
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #16399
Donkey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicaveman View Post
Wish my 07 still looked that pretty, I ride it every day on dirt roads going to work so it,s never properly clean
she's 'new to me' 08 I hope to be getting her quite dirty
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa - for sale: http://tinyurl.com/nzte25b
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #16400
Donkey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
milestones I'm not a fan of hard cases. I use a GL on my dakar and have sat it on the scrambler, looks ok... but... the freakin thing leaks like a sieve in any sort of wet weather... & yes the seams have a had a go over. The Gl is a tough bag but I can no longer put up with it's lack rain proofing.

The young fella has Enduristan monsoons on his XT600 so i've swung them over the seat and will make a prototype frame this week to hold them off the exhaust and try them out next weekend . He can unpack it faster than I can too.
Will post a pic next week.
Thank you for the feedback on the GL, I was a bit foggy this morning when I read the post and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what the hell a GL was

Looking forward to your pic and thanks again
Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #16401
Donkey
Studly Adventurer

TKC80's 130 or 140?

should I go with a stock size 130 or what are the benefits of running a 140 rear TKC80?

cheers
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #16402
soilasylum
n00b

Oddometer: 3
favorite rides

Photo's of my favorite ride this past summer in north western Colorado. ADV community has been a great resource, Thanks everyone!
soilasylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #16403
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Looking for luggage opinions... I've looked through the entire thread (165 pages ) Seen some nice options... Was originally thinking metal mules but they're pricey and not completely sure I want boxes. Some really nice tail bag/tank bag combos (wolfman) have some nice bags. Pelicans and ammo cans... Anyone use giant loop basin bag? What are people using for, let's say a moto camping setup on your scrams? Or on a trip?

Thanks in advance
I *might* be a tad biased, but I honestly believe Kriega makes the best gear out there for a variety of reasons. Hopefully, the fact that these shots were taken waaaay before I became the distributor for them in the US, bears that claim out. Paid full price for all of everything! What you see there is essentially the UScombo40 (40 liters is plenty for any weekend ride), used in various different configurations, including - with the help of the optional US Tank adapter - as a tank bag.

I still use precisely the same bags, although I have since upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap mounting system and picked up a US-30 Drypack to build bigger combos for longer trips and another US-10 to use up front. Camping gear goes on the rack, everything else on the rear seat and a little 10-liter tank bag up front.

I actually just sold this bike and am in the process of building a new one, for which I'll have some racks fabbed up to accommodate the new Overlander 60 soft pannier system, which will be pretty sweet. That way I can free up some rear seat real estate to take the missus on extended rides... along with a couple of RotopaX fuel cans to make up for the woeful tank range on these splendid machines.

Full spec at www.kriega.us

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 12:19 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #16404
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Nice set up- you carry extra fuel? ^^
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #16405
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:

What are those rims? Are they aluminum? Has anybody else had problems with bent stock rims when off roading?
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #16406
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
What are those rims? Are they aluminum? Has anybody else had problems with bent stock rims when off roading?
Those are just powder coated standard rims. I did some light trail riding on em without any drama, but my understanding is they're not really up to aggressive rough riding (which the Scram isn't really designed for out of the box), although I have seen some folks on here get away with it.

Planning to grab a set of Excel rims from Woody's for the new project , which is aiming to be about as capable off-road as a Scram can be without going for a few more inches of travel, messing with the geometry, throwing in a 21" front, extending the swing-arm and all that jazz.

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 03:35 PM
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #16407
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King View Post
Nice set up- you carry extra fuel? ^^
Thanks. No extra fuel at the moment. although I was planing to pick up one of those canvas fuel cells to strap to the Kriegas. But that was before the Overlander platforms came out...

BritKit LLC
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #16408
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
should I go with a stock size 130 or what are the benefits of running a 140 rear TKC80?

cheers
140 IMHO:
  • Larger upright contact patch for most situations
  • More sidewall area for the twisties
  • Looks meaner!
Slimmer tires might be a bit better for cutting through loose / slippery stuff to find traction off-road, and may keep the slim look Triumph wanted for the bike, but I immediately one size up at the front and rear and liked it better.

BritKit LLC
Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #16409
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Those are just powder coated standard rims. I did some light trail riding on em without any drama, but my understanding is they're not really up to aggressive rough riding (which the Scram isn't really designed for out of the box), although I have seen some folks on here get away with it.

Planning to grab a set of Excel rims from Woody's for the new project , which is aiming to be about as capable off-road as a Scram can be without going for a few more inches of travel, messing with the geometry, throwing in a 21" front, extending the swing-arm and all that jazz.
I researched Excel rims a few months back. Excel told me they only make silver to fit the scrambler, not black. Do you have any idea what Woody's will charge? I assume you would ship them your OEM hubs and have them laced up.

I bent one rim already and sent it to Buchanan's to be straightened for about $110. I bent it again recently and pounded it out (almost). Then, my buddy told me, "Hey, if you had aluminum rims on that Scrambler the rim would break instead of bend." Any truth to that statement? I know the aluminum is stronger, but I would rather bend than break.
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 04:29 PM Reason: removed cost amount
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #16410
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Woody's and Buchanan for Scrambler black alloy rims

There is no information on Woody's web site specific to Triumph Modern Classics.
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

I emailed Woody's about fitting a Scrambler and here's the quote:

"We can lace new black 19 x 2.5, and 17 x 3.5 excel rims to your stock hubs. They will require new spokes, which we can build stronger wheels when we replace them with new ones. The excel rims only come in silver, which we have to strip and re-anodize to make them colors. If you sent in your hubs, we can lace them with new black excel rims, stainless spokes/nipples for $1100 + shipping. We also can seal tube type wheels for tubeless tires, they do have to be 19'' and smaller. We only charge $99 per wheel and they come with a 1 yr. warranty against issues with the seal."

I believe Buchanan's will do black Sun rims with SS spokes for about $1,000 + shipping for the pair. The Buchanan site also only lists Excel rims in silver. I am sure they could re-anodize them black for a fee too. I am seeing some special requirements for the rear spokes listed on the Buchanan site for Modern Classics, including the Scrambler:

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/spoke_kits_triumph.asp

At the bottom of that page it says for the rear:

"Cast aluminum hub is all inside laced. Slightly smaller diameter on brake side and requires four different spokes. Most stock spokes were 7-8 gauge. These spokes are larger than stock diameter for durability, but will not require hub to be drilled."
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:25 AM