Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I love my sv but i don't think i'd use the money for another, i'm thinking i'd go for a fz1 or i'd have to test ride but maybe a fjr thou in all reality my bikes value is so little to those i'd be bikeless for a few years probaly.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
again?

You betcha! Unfortunately Zook is not importing the GSX 650 anymore. I'm actually looking into getting one from our neighbors to the north, where a new one with ABS is available.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
I guess I'd have to say no. I sold my K1300S awhile back to put a little money in the bank. It was the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. Loved everything about it. I'm now on the search for something less expensive. What I've found in the past months of being bikeless, is that I'm free to look around a little...and what I've gravitated toward surprised even me. Total opposites in design and power delivery from my K13, as a rule.

There are just too many bikes I'd like to ride, and time is too limited to get hung up with a single style. But that's me. I can understand that if its only the ride that matters to a certain rider, and the machine itself is a tool, rather than a part of the experience, that one might want to just find what he likes and stick with it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
The only bike I bought twice was a Honda ST1100. I had a 91 and an 01. Many miles cross-country on each. Both were great bikes, but by the time I sold the 01 a few years ago I realized it wasn't the 90s anymore. Time to move on.

I'd probably buy another Guzzi given the amazing progress they've made since I bought my Jackal in 99. These bikes have so much character that it's a love/hate relationship that can be addicting. I'm looking at a Cali 1400 fondly.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post

I'd probably buy another Guzzi given the amazing progress they've made since I bought my Jackal in 99. These bikes have so much character that it's a love/hate relationship that can be addicting. I'm looking at a Cali 1400 fondly.
Good to hear. I'm on the hunt for a Griso currently, and have dreams of a 1400 later as funds grow and the 1400's depreciate.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Although I love my 919 to death and am very happy with it... I would probably go for a FJR 1300 or VFR 800 or something else in the sport touring category that has a little wind protection. 12 hours at 80mph with nothing to block the wind gets a fit tiring after a couple of days....lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Good to hear. I'm on the hunt for a Griso currently, and have dreams of a 1400 later as funds grow and the 1400's depreciate.
Owning a Guzzi is definitely an acquired ... habit. Seriously try to get a test ride before buying.

Even then, the first 300 miles after buying you ask yourself "This thing is not normal. WTF did I just do???" Then it begins to grow on you and you start to make mental adjustments. After a couple of thousand you're either smitten by it, or you desperately want to unload it. I don't have a lot of experience on modern Guzzis, but I suspect the effect is much lessened today.

I really want a test ride on a 1400. It appears to be the modern Eldo that I've spent years trying to turn my bike into, with factory support and modern technology.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
'95 Miata = absolutely
TDM 850 = you betcha
Vstrom 1000 = not a chance. not even the new one if they nod the go ahead. wouldn't take one if it were free.

everything else = not likely don't miss them.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_csquare View Post
Some people recon that it is the ultimate test of satisfaction with a car/ bike if you are willing to do it all over again.

I'll start. When the time comes, I won't be replacing my ZX-14 with another, not even a ZX-14R. I would happlily trade some of the excess power for lighter weight and better handling.

My second car is a little 4wd Suzuki Jimny. It is pretty slow, lacks power steering and has a rock-hard suspension. However, I would buy the same car in a flash. It is 100% reliable, cheap to run, and built like a little Tonka truck. I love it!

Nice looking ZX-14! I have an 06 myself. I assume yours is an 06 as well, I do not think red was a color option since 06. At least in the states. To answer your question, no I would probably buy a different model with the insurance money, even though I love my 14. I would probably go with a lighter, nimbler bike, maybe a KTM 990 of a Ducati Hypermotard.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
j_csquare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-55 View Post
Nice looking ZX-14! I have an 06 myself. I assume yours is an 06 as well, I do not think red was a color option since 06. At least in the states. To answer your question, no I would probably buy a different model with the insurance money, even though I love my 14. I would probably go with a lighter, nimbler bike, maybe a KTM 990 of a Ducati Hypermotard.
Yes, my ZX14 is an 06 model. It is quite striking in red. I have become addicted to the grunt, and I find it quite comfortable to ride as well. I am with you though on a lighter, more nimble replacement, and a KTM Superduke or 990 SMT would also be high on my shopping list. Where I live, the risks and consequences of exploring the full capabilities of the ZX14 on public roads have just become too great. We also have lots of winding back roads in our area, and something like the KTM is better suited to those environments.
j_csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,697
Moto's are toys....this is a sidebar to life.....maybe even a passion.....and with so many choices....

The bikes I've had the luxury of multiples have been the XR650R....I've had #3.....two were set up and run as plated enduro's, one of them cracked a piston and was replaced with a newer model, the third was a plated supermoto which was a hooligan delight.

I've also had #2 BMW GS models, 1100 and currently an 1150.....but I don't see that coming again in my future.....

As models and manufacturers continue to develop interesting bikes, I'm a very interested potential buyer who would like to see several bikes imported to the US as well as continued moto developments.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I liked my SV650, but would not buy again. I would replace my GS ADV with same. The only car I would repurchase is the Civic I used to own (traded for an Element and didn't like it).

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,835
No. While I've owned variants of the same bike (ex: GS, GSA), it's never been back-to-back.

Variety, dude.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,320
Yes, maybe, and probably not.

The '04 XL1200R I would absolutely replace with another. It's a tremendously fun bike for around town and short trips. The only problem would be finding another Roadster in as good a condition as the one I have now since Harley discontinued them after '08.

The '09 Electra Glide I might buy again. I prefer it over all the other full on touring bikes that are available at the moment. But the new Moto Guzzi California 1400 will be available in a few more months and it might be able to pull me away from the big Harley.

The '03 Moto Guzzi California I would probably not replace with another one. In fact, I probably would not replace it at all. It's a great bike and the best handling cruiser I've ever been on, but it's become sort of the odd man out in my garage and just doesn't get ridden as much as the other two.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 782
To mirror my sentiments in another RW thread..

No. I would not replace my current bike with the same one should it be stolen/total loss. I'm looking to get away from cruisers. Perhaps I'd shed a quick tear for my first motorcycle, but the sadness would quickly wane as I started an earnest hunt for the replacement machine.