ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #6001
Windrock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Well if that statement is true that only 20 can be turned on at one time, I can see that Garmin will not change the default when you load a track to the GPS. Currently you have to manually go into each track that you want to show and change the default setting from DONT SHOW to SHOW ON MAP. I thought while accepting 200 tracks, that the unit would have the capability to show all 200 at one time and not just 20.

The other thing that I don't care for, is when you turn TRACKING OFF the current track will not show on the map unless you turn TRACKING ON again. Now that is just the opposite of the older Map Series GPSr's. The 76CSX showed the current tracks whether TRACKING was ON or OFF.
Windrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #6002
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 711
gpx2img

As others have commented on this and other threads (see Dr Rock), if you have a ton of tracks in your route, use one of the handy utility programs (gpx2img, igfromgpx, etc) that convert all your tracks into a single map file.

On a recent 2300mi trip, I had over 50 planned tracks, so didn't want to "show on map" each track. Instead, simply created a small transparent map overlay that quickly loaded at boot time for my active off-road profile. I was also able to easily share the img file with my co-rider who had a Montana. Very nice solution.

I also use this technique to show all the various "tracks" for my local ohv area.

I think the "show all tracks on map" feature is on everyone's enhancement list, but with the above workaround it's not a big deal.

2012 UT/ID/OR 2300mi 11d Outback Ride via UTBDR, T2, OBDR (in progress)

dvwalker screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 06:23 AM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #6003
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
GArmin Tempe Update

I logged a support question on the Tempe functioning...

"I purchased the TEMPE July 18th from GPSCity. I have it linked to my Montana 650 used it till the snow fell on my motorcycle. What I have noticed is that the 24 Hr MIN MAX temperatures do not change ever from what was the first Min or Max in the first 24hrs. After that they remain the same. Only way to change them is to remove the battery. I think this unit is faulty needs replacing. Thanks"

This is the response I got, which is not what 2 other members got....

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. At this time, this is an issue we are currently aware of. We are working on a resolution to the issue. Unfortuneatly, I do not have a time frame as to when a software update would be released to correct this issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Now is the Tempe faulty or is it the software of the Montana!
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #6004
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
The Tempe. It's the device which is not resetting itself.

And the fix will probably be in the Tempe software.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #6005
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:

You need a new Tempe.

CALL Garmin and get one sent to you.

Do not email them if you actually want a resolution.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #6006
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
Well if that statement is true that only 20 can be turned on at one time, I can see that Garmin will not change the default when you load a track to the GPS. Currently you have to manually go into each track that you want to show and change the default setting from DONT SHOW to SHOW ON MAP. I thought while accepting 200 tracks, that the unit would have the capability to show all 200 at one time and not just 20.

The other thing that I don't care for, is when you turn TRACKING OFF the current track will not show on the map unless you turn TRACKING ON again. Now that is just the opposite of the older Map Series GPSr's. The 76CSX showed the current tracks whether TRACKING was ON or OFF.
Just to "play devils advocate" on this Tracking On/Off topic. If you have Tracking On then you are creating a "current track". When you turn Tracking Off, you no longer have a "Current Track" as soon as you move.

Personally, if I have recorded a Track I want to show on the map, I just Save the Current Track and name it. Then I can show it on the map any time I desire - or not.

I think the net on this topic of "Show - No Show" is that there are many reasons to do either. I think if Garmin would enable the Show on Map GPX Extension to stay with the Track data as it moves between GPS and BaseCamp just like they did with Color, then we could manage the various user scenarios a lot better.

Then again you can always use GPX data Map Overlays as has been mentioned and in use for many years.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #6007
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You need a new Tempe.

CALL Garmin and get one sent to you.

Do not email them if you actually want a resolution.
Thanks I'll try again.

Maybe those who are getting a new unit can let us know if that resolved the issue.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6008
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Personally, if I have recorded a Track I want to show on the map, I just Save the Current Track and name it. Then I can show it on the map any time I desire - or not.
Precisely how it is done!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6009
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Thanks I'll try again.

Maybe those who are getting a new unit can let us know if that resolved the issue.
I just received mine last week, and yes, the issue is resolved :)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #6010
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrock View Post
I don't know where you found the info on only showing 20 tracks at a time. I am able to set as many tracks to show on the map as I want. As I understand it, only 10,000 points will show on the map at one time, independent of the number of tracks.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #6011
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
I use one of these. Works well and the belt-clip on the back is rotatable with strong detents. $10 at GPSCity.

Cheers,
Nice....

Montana DOES NOT fit into this case.

Works well for my Oregon, however.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #6012
Windrock
Adventurer

Quote:
Just to "play devils advocate" on this Tracking On/Off topic. If you have Tracking On then you are creating a "current track". When you turn Tracking Off, you no longer have a "Current Track" as soon as you move.

I think the net on this topic of "Show - No Show" is that there are many reasons to do either. I think if Garmin would enable the Show on Map GPX Extension to stay with the Track data as it moves between GPS and BaseCamp just like they did with Color, then we could manage the various user scenarios a lot better.

Then again you can always use GPX data Map Overlays as has been mentioned and in use for many years.

Cheers,
So the Montana does not act like the 76 did. The 76, when you turned Tracking On and then Tracking Off you got a seperate file called AUTO LOG 001.........etc for each time you turn Tracking On then Off. So now I think what I am understanding, when you turn Tracking Off on the Montana, you need to save the current track manually before you move where the 76 use to automatically do it for you just by turning Tracking Off. BTW I am up to page 276 and have got alot of valuable insite so far.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #6013
Windrock
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I don't know where you found the info on only showing 20 tracks at a time. I am able to set as many tracks to show on the map as I want. As I understand it, only 10,000 points will show on the map at one time, independent of the number of tracks.
Look at Post #6001.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #6014
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Nice....

Montana DOES NOT fit into this case.

Works well for my Oregon, however.
bummer, pretty sure Santa ordered one for me.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #6015
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I just got one and I'm still learning how to use it. I have 400 pages to go through here. Lol
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote