ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #54631
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
(Like I said a week or so ago in the midst of unrelated conversations) I really hope Kawasaki takes a cue from their mini streetbike bikes, and bumps the klx250s up to 300cc and adds fuel injection. That would have real potential, plus it would create more competition within the segment, and perhaps spur the introduction of a 400-450cc jap dual sport wr450r type of bike.
Eventually one of the Jap 4 will do a 400-450 efi dual sport. I get why they haven't yet, but once they cross that hurdle they're going to sell a lot of bikes. Just be a question of who does it first then who does it best.

I'd prefer to see Yamaha take that on, as the jump from the WR250 is so nearly there with the engine they have...and nothing else really needs changed beside displacement.

My dream of an efi airhead 450 in an aluminum frame and good USD forks may never come to fruition, but a boy can dream.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #54632
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Eventually one of the Jap 4 will do a 400-450 efi dual sport. I get why they haven't yet, but once they cross that hurdle they're going to sell a lot of bikes. Just be a question of who does it first then who does it best.

I'd prefer to see Yamaha take that on, as the jump from the WR250 is so nearly there with the engine they have...and nothing else really needs changed beside displacement.

My dream of an efi airhead 450 in an aluminum frame and good USD forks may never come to fruition, but a boy can dream.
Ever hear of microsquirt? Kind of a DIY efi setup,but its very possible to make that happen swing.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #54633
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Ever hear of microsquirt? Kind of a DIY efi setup,but its very possible to make that happen swing.
Yeah, XR400 motor in a CRF450 frame, fab up a sub-frame, DIY throttle body....but that's for guys with patience, fabrication skills and ugly wives. I have better shit to do.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #54634
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Oh that is what I want. Change nothing about the wr250r but the displacement. Doesn't even need to go up that much, 350cc would probably get that serious boost in low to mid range power. I'm pleased with the top end already

I bet cooling would be an issue, with the single radiator.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #54635
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:

Yeah, XR400 motor in a CRF450 frame, fab up a sub-frame, DIY throttle body....but that's for guys with patience, fabrication skills and ugly wives. I have better shit to do.

so, what you are saying is, you want this, but just not bad enough to do anything about it.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #54636
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
so, what you are saying is, you want this, but just not bad enough to do anything about it.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying.

If I had the time, skills and donor bikes, I'd already be riding it.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #54637
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Less than 100 miles on this one, not too far away from you. Save you $1400 on a new CRF, and buy you several cans of red krylon and a Honda sticker...that'd be different.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...250r-107287057
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
I emailed this guy on 11-13 and he still had it. Has 4000 miles. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3398129140.html
I find it a bit amusing that so many are trying to convince me to get a WRR (mostly those who own one). Are you guys working on commission for Yamaha parts sales now or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I wouldn't rule out the KLX250 with a 351 kit. I am thinking about going that route when I have the cash available. Seems like the thing to do, gut the extra CC's and keep the weight of a 250.
I have given that option a lot of thought - in fact I even went and looked at an `06 250S last week up near Archbold, OH but the wiring harness had been seriously Bubba-ized and the guy still wanted $3k for it. I told him he was nuckin futz and left. Lots of used `09 and `10 KLX's for sale on CL, but I'm still partial to the 250L having butt-tested the newer KLX's.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #54638
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Price mainly. I just can't justify spending $6700 on a WRR given how I'll use it. For what the WRR costs new I can buy the CRF and do all the performance mods and upgrade the suspension and still have a few bucks left over.
Last September, I bought a 2008 WRR with only 225 miles for $4000. The original owner took it "offroad" once, to ride around his lawn.

This is a good time of year to catch deals, as owners debate winterizing a bike they rarely ride.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #54639
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,123
I really don't see an aircooled EFI bike ever happening, that would be a bitch to tune and would NEVER meet emissions. It really isn't that hard to set up EFI where it was not before, I've done a few VW engines (how I know aircooled engines suck to tune) and megasquirted my old Merkur to be able to tune the turbo engine better.

Also, tis the season to buy fast cars, boats and bikes. People need christmas presents, those things are expendable, and no one has boat or bike fever in december.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM   #54640
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
...Also, tis the season to buy fast cars, boats and bikes. People need christmas presents, those things are expendable, and no one has boat or bike fever in december.
Except for guys that don't winterize bike. Almost no one.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #54641
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:

So why not put USD forks and a FCR on a stock framed XR400?

I have never owned an aluminum framed bike so I have no clue what the draw is. The CRF's I've ridden have never given me that "I need a recycled beer can for a frame" feeling.

Should have never sold my XR400

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #54642
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
I find it a bit amusing that so many are trying to convince me to get a WRR (mostly those who own one). Are you guys working on commission for Yamaha parts sales now or something?
It's a better bike, I think we all know that, so I asked you why you hadn't considered it. You answered cost and availability. Both were easily addressed.

I can't help ya with wanting to be different. You should buy a Beta RR if that's your thing...cause they are red, awesome bikes, and nobody has one round these parts.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #54643
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
So why not put USD forks and a FCR on a stock framed XR400?

I have never owned an aluminum framed bike so I have no clue what the draw is. The CRF's I've ridden have never given me that "I need a recycled beer can for a frame" feeling.

Should have never sold my XR400
Same as with a mountain bike...flex and weight (although the weight thing is theoretical...can easily be just as heavy). Not as important as the suspension, but I like the rigidity for offroad.

Plus the CRF frame gives you easy options for top-shelf suspension front and back, and all the trick parts that go along with it.

Sort of the same idea as the CRF500 Service Honda's...but with a big reliable airhead instead of the smoker power plant.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #54644
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Same as with a mountain bike...flex
Flex? Have you even ridden the last generation XR's? (96+) I put 3 years on a 97 400 and a 99 250 and flex was never an issue, even for my 200 pound ass and that was racing, not trail riding.

Drew Smith at Works Enduro Rider will suspend that XR so nicely, you'll go faster longer.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #54645
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
Ain't no convincing, I don't think anyone here cares what you get or don't get.

By your own admission you feel the WR is a superior bike to the Honda, cost is the only factor. Owners are telling you that there are used ones available and the cost of a good used one is going to be lower right out of the gate that a new Honda.

If there are none local, hell, look elsewhere. Ohio is close to everything, and I'd even be willing to make a road trip on your behalf and trailer something back for you if you don't have the time to do it.

Alan's used WR was $2200, mine was $3400, a few other people have listed prices between $3000 - 4000. A quick look on wrrforum shows several in the $3-4k range, granted, in NC, SC, and other states.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote