ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #18781
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 564
So got the TKC's ordered...be here tomorrow... Matt at Street Rockets of Va hooked me up with both front & rear under $300. Now where to get them put on? I heard of two guys put by West Point, can someone PM me the guys?

Eddy- I was looking at Jan for the BMW school. I have a $650 credit there I need to use.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #18782
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
So got the TKC's ordered...be here tomorrow... Matt at Street Rockets of Va hooked me up with both front & rear under $300. Now where to get them put on? I heard of two guys put by West Point, can someone PM me the guys?

Eddy- I was looking at Jan for the BMW school. I have a $650 credit there I need to use.
Todd, you have a PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #18783
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
I found a place online where I can buy 6061-T6 1/4" Aluminum plate for < $90 w/shipping and thinking of making a skid plate.I figure since I don't have a brake I can bend the aluminum with my hydraulic press. Hate the thought of spending $240 for a Touratech, etc. Just need the time to make it.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #18784
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I found a place online where I can buy 6061-T6 1/4" Aluminum plate for < $90 w/shipping and thinking of making a skid plate.I figure since I don't have a brake I can bend the aluminum with my hydraulic press. Hate the thought of spending $240 for a Touratech, etc. Just need the time to make it.

Go out to BMG metals and dig through their drop pile....MUCH cheaper.

http://www.bmgmetals.com/contact_Richmond.php

Call them first to get addy of the aluminum shop...it isn't the masonic lane address.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #18785
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
I was looking at Jan for the BMW school.
Todd, the 2013 schedule isn't even out yet, it should be sent out in the next week or two. Even SC would be kind of chilly in Jan! Especially after a water crossing gone wrong! I was thinking April or May... Be sure to call and confirm that Bill Conger will be teaching the session you are considering. You should go down with me in the Spring!

"Hate the thought of spending $240 for a Touratech"
John, the $220 is just for the skidplate, the reinforcment kit is another $130...You are better off getting the Black Dog skidplate that is less $$$ and built better. Yes, it's $350 but it doesn't attach anywhere on the motor. It's built like a Panzer! I want one now that I've ripped off the cardboard BMW skidplate! Log crossings and large rocks bouncing off the bottom of my case after the plate had been lost yesterday made terrible sounds and raised my anxiety about suddenly seeing pools of oil under my bike!

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop/bike/bmw-r1200gs/bdcw-skid-plate-for-the-r1200gs-gsa-detail.html

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 12:25 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #18786
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Go out to BMG metals and dig through their drop pile....MUCH cheaper.

http://www.bmgmetals.com/contact_Richmond.php

Call them first to get addy of the aluminum shop...it isn't the masonic lane address.
It's at the corner of 7 Hills Blvd and Gorman Road

Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #18787
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
After that big hit I took a few weeks back, thinking about going 2-ply aluminum on the bottom directly beneath the motor. Can't find a skid plate more than 3/16" thick which is what I have now. Like to double that.

8" square for $9 from that place JHVA pointed to should do it..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #18788
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,924
Quote:

Zack,
If I were home in Va, you could change the tires at my place,( for my weight in Sam's....) we could even balance them if you wanted.

But don't let the siren song of knobbies make you think it's the only way to be invincible. Slap a TKC on the front, and run a Tourance rear, and you can hang in 90% of the stuff most do, at $200 less cost. Trust me, it is the front that goes the majority of the time.

Just my .02 cents from a true poverty rider....

(if I'm in town, my shop is yours. My advice and tools? Now that is another matter entirely...)

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #18789
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Zack,

Just my .02 cents from a true poverty rider....

(if I'm in town, my shop is yours. My advice and tools? Now that is another matter entirely...)

jeff
Jeff,

As you know I greatly appreciate any help and advice that I can get... and will always pull what ever wisdom I can from the people more experienced than I...I'm learning to say that over"older than me"...

The TKCs front and back is for the training and experience of pushing harder off-road and building confidence at the same time. I may switch it up as my experience grows.

Halfplate has me thinking that Shoe Creek is do-able with the GS...I just need to put the time in the saddle on the challenging terrain.

Anyway, hope you had a great holiday...Let me know when your back into so we can do a ride out to the mountains..
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #18790
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
...Slap a TKC on the front, and run a Tourance rear, and you can hang in 90% of the stuff most do...

jeff
yup, that's what I've been doing also out of cheapness, of course. Except cheaper still with Shinkos @ $100/pair shipped. And it does work pretty good as long as you can avoid mud. Slip around a little but not too bad and get better road manners and mileage.

I've heard people call it (knobbyish front + road biased rear) a "mullet". So my bike has a mullet. I hereby name it Joe DRt.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #18791
btblueskies
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
It's awesome to see some good riding just down the road by Martins..... Cannot wait to try it. Bummer tomorrow is supposed to be rainy or I'd be over there at lunch ;)

I am new to this forum... first post. Looking fwd to meeting some of you.
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #18792
toddzacker
NO FILTER

I thought it was Joe Dirtet...I think that's French...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #18793
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
It's awesome to see some good riding just down the road by Martins..... Cannot wait to try it. Bummer tomorrow is supposed to be rainy or I'd be over there at lunch ;)

I am new to this forum... first post. Looking fwd to meeting some of you.

Welcome btblueskies!!! Hey guys I'm not the nOOb any more..at least to the forum...the way it looks on his Avatar though I'm still the nOOb on the GS..
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #18794
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
yup, that's what I've been doing also out of cheapness, of course. Except cheaper still with Shinkos @ $100/pair shipped. And it does work pretty good as long as you can avoid mud. Slip around a little but not too bad and get better road manners and mileage.

I've heard people call it (knobbyish front + road biased rear) a "mullet". So my bike has a mullet. I hereby name it Joe DRt.
So yesterday on the way home I remembered the thing I didn't like about the Shinko 244. You run out of tread if you lean to far. From the dirt on the tires, I could see I came within 1/4 inch of the edge of the tread on the front just riding home on Parham from Martins to Regency. Not like I was pushing it. I've seen you ride, you would find the edge. The 700s allow for much more lean angle. The TW302 on the back looked like I had stood up straight the whole way home. On the other hand it could just be I need air in the front tire.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #18795
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,040
Toddzacker,

Jeff is 100% spot on with the tourance tkc combo recommendation. I used to run that combo on my V-Strom and will be going that way again on the GS. An interesting aspect of that set-up is your front and rear will both wear at the same rate, so at about 10k +/- you will need both.

Shoe Creek is very do-able on a GS, and honestly isn't all that bad. If you want to give it a try I would recommend starting with a few days over at the newly found "training area" here in town. I would also highly recommend waiting until the creeks drop in the summer and riding with a partner. I was being stupid when I tried it for the first time, 1 it was spring and the creeks where up, 2 I rode it alone, 3 my rear tourance was completely bald.

Anytime you want to give the training area a go on the GS just let me know, its a hoot out there!! Only thing keeping away this weekend is the absence of a skid plate, courtesy of last weekend.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote