Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #376
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,592
That first night's camp was a very drunken affair, if I recall correctly. Matty had the beer supplies sorted and after riding the Super Ten for two hours, wobbling along on an irrepairable rear tyre at 25 km/hr or so, constantly expecting roos or black cattle to charge out of the dark to knock us flying, it was good to wash the dust out of my throat. I don't think the first beer even touched the sides. I can't tell you how good it was to ride out of the endless desert night into that campsite and be with great mates, new and old.
Uncle Gra and I had had a great day earlier, exploring the mound springs, waterholes and ruined railway sidings of the old Ghan Railway we were following north.
My troubles started about lunchtime from memory, when I picked up a puncture just before Beresford Railway Siding. I'd stupidly used a secondhand HD tube inside a brand new Mitas E09 Dakar tyre that I'd fitted the night before to replace a worn road biased tyre. It failed crossing a cattle grid at speed the next morning. I reckon you passed us while we were fixing it well off the track, at Beresford ruins. It stayed up with the puncture repair until about an hour after sunset, about 100km north of William Creek. I felt it hammer on the rim again just as we were going through a couple of fast, dry creek crossings in the dark. By the time I pulled up, it was ruined. The old HD tube was shredded. The new tyre was stinking hot and full of bits of powdered rubber. We threw my spare (new ) tube inside the ruined tyre carcass, pumped it up to a solid 40psi, knowing it needed to be babied if it would survive the deep slits and pinching gashes inside the ruined tyre. Gra said to keep it slow, but I got excited and ramped it up to about 60km/hr after about 10 kilometres of carefully tootling along. Then, within about 20 kilometres, it went flat. We were stills miles from camp. I had no spare tubes (although Gra offered me his 18" spare) and knew fixing it wouldn't work again, so I said to Gra, "we'll keep going." And here's the thing about Uncle Gra. Here's a bloke that's ridden almost every area of Australia and I've only known him a bit over a day. At that point he could've said "Good luck, I'll see you at camp." but instead he stuck by me, wobbling along the last two hours in second gear, following in the dust behind me, late into the cold desert night. Thanks Graham! You're a bloody legend.

Here's a little of Uncle Gra and my sightseeing......

One of the friendly locals - desert art sculpture, north of Maree.

A quick stop and look around at Curdimurka Railway Siding as we travelled north. The setting sun pushes us onwards, to find a bush camp a few kilometres further north.

Our simple desert campsite that night, well off the road, with firewood aplenty.

New Mitas E09 Dakar tyre slowly warming beside the fire, almost ready to fit.

Next morning, our first stop...the magnificent and sacred mound springs that bubble up from the Great Artesian Basin.

These mound springs form a chain of waterholes extending from the southern coast inland north to the very heart of Australia. They continue to give life to this countryside. The bubbles are said to be caused by the presence of a giant creation being, a serpent, that chased two star women inland during the creation time. Wherever he raised his head to search for the women, he created a mound spring. The creation story provides a map to the landscape that allowed the local Arabunna aborigines to survive and hunt their land, no matter how severe the summer heat (which is quite hot - I've experienced 54C (measured in the shade) one summer).

Next stop for Gra and I was the artesian spa pool at Coward Springs for a much needed dip. It's hard to explain how revitalising this little spa really is. Three jets located at shoulder, waist and foot level pulse under the natural pressure of the Great Artesian Basin, as thousands of litres of water many thousands of years old charge into the spa from a bore pipe inside the adjoining wooden box.

Shortly afterwards, just after leaving the springs, my bike picked up a puncture to the rear tube. The start of a long, long afternoon ahead. We stopped at the next abandoned railway siding, Beresford, on the old Ghan Railway Line. The line went into disuse in about 1986. The water softener tower used to remove salt from the naturally salty ground water, used to fill the old steam trains from the neighbouring square tank. The salt is a remanent of the Eromanga Sea, a prehistoric shallow ocean that once divided the jurassic continent. The broad, mainly featureless desert is the ancient ocean floor.
After having a basic feed while waiting for the tube patch to dry, we packed the bikes and motored hard towards Oodnadatta, around 300km away, briefly stopping in William Creek before chasing the sun towards my next tyre failure a hundred kilometres further north. Sorry but I didn't take anymore photos due to the need to keep moving to make camp that evening.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:51 AM
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #377
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

(I'll upload some photos of our great day together and edit them in.)

please do!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #378
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so we stocked up with some real expensive ice, tried for 'hours' before finally someone sorted to fix the Landy puncture, talked to
a lot of other riders on their way to Finke, gave a multiude
of advice (and melbourne bmw's phone number) to a fella on a 650 (or was it a 450?, 650 i think) BMW with a stripped
rear sprocket... drank backpacker-made coffee.... and generally just wasted a shit load of time....

but eventually the itch got too much and we decided to head out a bit for lunch... and let Matty and Ani catch up in
the Landy after their punctures were fixed...

and off we went....

Sundowner...

OzBikeDude...

the designated end of the world where lunch would be had...

course we found a tree for some shade...

plenty of evidence around of how harsh this country can be...

there was a couple of UHF radios amoungst us, so we were able to flag down Matty when we spotted him
chuggin across the horizon and direct him and the multitude of sandwich fillings he was carrying in to our tree....

so lunch was had and then we were off on the long lonely outback roads again...

we'd just crossed into the Simpson Desert (witjira) National Park

I'd stopped to take a photo of this :

when OzBikeDude came past....

then UncleGra rocked up... he stopped though!

we had a bit of a chat and decided that since it was getting on, and more importantly, we had Ani with us..

and she wasnt technically allowed in the National Park, so it prob wasnt wise to camp at Dalhousie Springs
where there would be other people and possibly a ranger..

So we figured we should go back a few kms outside the park and bush camp again..

TonyRDR rocked up..

we bounced the idea off him... he agreed, and said he'd go chase OzbikeDude and bring him back..

we told him we'd find a camp and there would either be one of us, or a jerrycan etc to mark were we had gone...

So UncleGraham and i turned around and cruzed back, keeping an eye out for a camp, until Sundowner caught up..

we had a chat, and then i went off one side, Sundowner went the other and Graham waited for us, and Matty, and Tony, and...

I found a place that would do, Sundowner found a spot he didnt think was too bad, so Sundowner
and I headed off to get a fire goin etc..

Matty rocked up too... which meant Ani could help collect firewood..

also meant we could crack a well earned beer...

I downed a beer and quickly set-up my tent..

then grabbed a few beers and said i'd go take UncleGra (who was still waiting back out at the track for Tony and Aub) a beer..

one of the rockiest places on earth was located between our camp and the track...

UncleGra wasnt keen for a beer, so i said i'd wait on the track while he went to camp and got his tent set-up in
the little bit of remaining light...

looked like there was a decent sunset brewing...

so i bummed around taking a few photos...

then sat down and had another beer...

still no sign of them.... shit Aub likes to ride that 950 quick!... thought Tony should have caught him by now thou...

should we send someone else out to see whats up...?

was just contemplating this thought when i saw a faint flicker on the horizon..

i turned my headlight and hazard lights on so who-ever it was wouldnt come barreling thru the creek and over the top of me...

a few minutes lates Ozbikedude arrived..

i pointed him off to camp........

and then cracked another beer and watched the sunset while waiting for Tony..

once again the flicker of a headlight appeared on the horizon and on my lights came again..

and TonyRDR arrived..

i lead him in to camp...

Matty demonstrates the 'salute'...

once again a more than suitable camp...

only one thing missing out here in the middle of australia...

yep, a BBQ plate full of Kingfish wings...

Matty you legend!

so a fair old feed,

my camp was set... So was Tony's...

Sundowners wasnt...

Aub was wearing out Ani.... umm, i mean Ani was wearing out Aub...

the moon was up...

and 'Camp Kingfish' was born into legend..

but we were all stuffed, and so after probably a few too many beers and bullshit and stick-throwing...

the lights went out on another great day...

Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #379
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,592
I definitely remember "Camp Kingfish Wings" as being a very beery event. What a great end to a very relaxed day's riding. Matty and I took the private station track across the sand dunes after catching up with my mates on the cattle station. Awesome full throttle run across a private road, so no worries about oncoming 4WDs, only herds of cattle grazing in the scrub alongside the track. We went so fast across that area, I actually thought we'd overtaken you guys, even with a half hour head-start. I took some video but it didn't capture the run as well as I'd hoped, as the GoPro was pointing down a bit.
Just for the viewers sake, even though we rode about 3 hours north east of the homestead, we were still on the station property, to give you an idea of how big this cattle station really is. Where we camped sorted out the issue of Ani running off to join a dingo pack. No dingoes on that station. No wild camels either. Lots of rocks though. My Luxury Lite camp stretcher paid for itself, once again.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:44 AM
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #380
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Well shared!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #381
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,981
wish i had you blokes story telling skills,i do remember the king fish camp(thanks matty)was a pleasant ride from Oodna to there via a short chat with a coupla station dudes ,tony caught me at dalhousie hotspring i think (we were lucky we got do that section twice)great photos greg,keep chiming in with you narrative & pics sundowner its great lots of local knowlege .cheers aub.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #382
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,576
Love it

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #383
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Is Julia Gillard cancelling this thread?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #384
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,107
Landy Support Crew

good stuff mate, now in WA with the boat doing support for Nazza and having a ball. we have done 70 km. in the last week.!!!
hope !!! to be back in lincoln by feb/march next year to go to angorichna together.
then planning on doing the anne beadell hwy. with Aub and "others" with Naz and Ani doing support in the Landy.
I will then get to RIDE......
I have just downloaded the Finke race photos and will add to your RR.....with your permission.???

cheers matty (Ani's boss)
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #385
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Matty!

Yeah get into it mate... Just don't get ahead of me

Oh and doesn't look like I can get back to this for about a week... Hang in there fellas!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #386
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so after such a jovial night,,,, the next morning was a bit slow...

understandably...

anyway... a theory that Aub was leakin a bit of fuel became a reality.... which
meant the Keeps Takin Money 950 was put on blocks and striped down to reveal a fuel leak...

but to be fair,.. it was more of an issue with the aftermarket tank than the Katoom..

anyway...there was a whole lot of chefs in the kitchen so i went for a mosey...

and found...

some real weird hairy trees...

and some bush tomatoes.... not quite ripe.....

moon was still up as everyone had a bit of a laugh at the broken down kato...

('cept the Kato owners of course...)

still... even though it was desolate.... it wasnt a bad place to be...

mind you... this guy figured we were all doomed and would soon be a good feed...

anyway... he had to go hungry... a bit of silicon on the outlet of Aub's long range
tank seemed to be holding... so we were off into the Simpson Desert National Park...

dunno what you'd do with a chainsaw anyway...
not much out here....

well..... maybe the odd post...

so it was on up to Dalhousie Springs Homestead...

not too hard to believe that this end of the world couldnt sustain life long term

i'd left King Fish Camp a bit earlier than the other lads, as i knew there was
some spped freaks amongst them... and i would stop and smell the ro... i mean take
some pics here and there......

UncleGra arrived at the ruins just as i was wrapping up...

wasnt far past the ruins and there was a bit of an unexpected step-down....

and then it was on to the glorious Dalhousie Springs!

lordy me... it was great to get into some water after so many dry days....

amazing to come across such a big hot spring out here...

there was maybe 10 or so 4wd's camped nearby.... plenty of birds circling... and a few swiming....

all the lads (except the old desrt dog!) were in... must have liked the smell of his own company....

so after a magically refreshing swim....

it was of out into 'bugger all' again...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #387
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,981
another chapter,well done greg! yes well that night i had smelt fuel near the bike so put it away from the camp abit ,woke up next morning and checked it out......seemed to be missing a bit of fuel?? oh well off with the left side tank to find the problem was the second hand fuel tap gasket i used had let go,any way no biggie sundowner,gra and desert dog all had some sort of gasketgoo in their mobile workshops .
With a fair bit of help from sundowner(thanks again dick)we were soon on the way to dalhousie hot spring(where i had to borrow some shorts from gra) a nice refreshing dip does wonders after a few to many at king fish camp,theres little fish in there that nibble on ya
i think matty had a beer that morning(for breaky)
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #388
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,845
Just popped in...almost forgot about this RR....Nice work Glen...this was a fabulous ride with the "A"crew....
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #389
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
Just popped in...almost forgot about this RR....Nice work Glen...this was a fabulous ride with the "A"crew....

Uncle Graham is old... he forgets lots of stuff... like peoples names!

Hi Gra!

hope your well...

cheers
Greg.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #390
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so after a refreshing dip, it was out again into the bugger-all-ness of central Australia...

and when you did come across something... you stopped... and took a photo... and had lunch...

anyway, from Dalhousie Springs we were headed on to Mt Dare.... Sundowner was keen for some Canoodling...

the last 20 kms saw us back onto a 'minor' track (from nothingness) and as much as it
was an 'upgrade' on maps, the track was actually shitter...

anyway... thru deep sand, riverbeds full of rocks and rutted out tracks we ploughed...
and arrived at Mt Dare...

so we spent a good coulple of hours at Mt Dare...

mind you it took probably close to an hour for everyone to arive...

then there was re-fueling...

then there was eating...

then there was beer-ing...

then there was planing...

then there was.... all sorts of stuff..

in the end, i think a mini rebelion had to occur to get the show back on the road/track...

it was getting on, and we just had to go...

we headed off, leaving sundowner behind...

there was a bit of confusion as to where the track went from the homestead... and before long, Aub and Tony up ahead took a right hand turn...

the Landy with Matty and Ani inside clicked onto this and before i knew it, off to
my right i had a landy takin a shortcut, cutting the corner....

nothin like a bit of extra motivation to squeeze the trigger a bit harder...

cant remember who beat who... but since i'm typing this....

Matty gunned it cross country... but i saw him go and rolled the throttle..

he never stood a chance... and i got around the 90 degree right hander and along the straight ..

leaving him to pop out onto the track...still behind...

anyway the track was real nice... it got a bit scrubby and fairly twisty..

i new we were gonna cross the South Australian / Northern Territory border.. and figured i'd stop get a pick of the sign...

but it just flew past...

was a shame...but we were hookin along nicely...

then a gate... on dusk..

and then a camp....

Aub's tank looked like it was now holding...

those with a keen eye might have noticed in the camp photo 2 pics back... only 5 bikes....

there was a theory as to why Sundowner was late leaving...and what her name was...

but he arrived...

well after UncleGra had done his washing...

and after i'd headed back out to the track to point him in...

anyway... the plan was for Matty to stock up on ice and Mt Dare... hmmm.. was really the only thing he had to
do all day... we didnt even make him go for a swim... even though it seemed like he needed it more than the rest of us...

so anyway... no ice...

oddly enough... Sundowner volunteerd real quick to gun it the 30 odd kms back to Mt Dare in the dark to get some...

i went opened the gate..

and he was gone...

and i headed back down the sandy track to camp....

where the important stuff took place..

like getting some extra firewood...

many beers were had... and lots of wondering as to what Sundowner was upto...

the sun set..

it got dark..

we began to figure we'd not be seeing the big fella till the morning...

and then the the faint roar of the 750 could be hear...

shit he's not goin easy on the old girl in the dark was all we could say...
i legging it back out to the gate, just making it in time to get the gate open...

she must have fallen off.... oh well she missed out on a great end to another great day...

and another kick-ass camp...

Matty, what you cook tonight, i forget... it was bloody good but!

with many more beers etc to be had before bed...

GoneAgain screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:00 AM