ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #6001
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
I'm stuck...
I want to replace that small locking screw on top of the rugged mount with a longer finger operated one, but, how on earth do you take it out??

I unscrewed it as far as it goes, now it just bounces up and down on its spring.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #6002
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
I'm stuck...
I want to replace that small locking screw on top of the rugged mount with a longer finger operated one, but, how on earth do you take it out??

I unscrewed it as far as it goes, now it just bounces up and down on its spring.
It's a captive screw; it is not supposed to come out.

With enough force, anything is possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #6003
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
thanks garmin

Thanks to all that helped me with my Montana but after many frustrating months its finally going back to Garmin. Map data would not hallways show up on screen. Garmin gave me an RMA # so a new one will be shortly here. Hope this works.
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #6004
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Wiring the Amps Rugged Mount

In case someone is wondering how to wire you GPS to have power only when the key is turned on, I found the following to connect the GPS as a Switched accessory.

But since I only want to have one Switched accessory connection I did the following. Switched blue wire is inserted under the Running lights fuse.
Less than $20 :)

mass-klr screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 06:34 AM
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #6005
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
I just got one and I'm still learning how to use it. I have 400 pages to go through here. Lol
Same here. Being delayed waiting for the microSD cards, should be here today.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #6006
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
Same here. Being delayed waiting for the microSD cards, should be here today.
I don't have an sd card in my Montana and no storage issues yet. Don't let that keep you from using your new toy
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #6007
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Mine's still in the box. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Recd the rugged mounts and Ram Amp Ball. Ready to get started.
I still need to read much more. Not sure what software, maps, cards, etc, I need to get started.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #6008
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Mine's still in the box. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Recd the rugged mounts and Ram Amp Ball. Ready to get started.
I still need to read much more. Not sure what software, maps, cards, etc, I need to get started.

Just do it. Get your hands on it and start using it. It's the best way to learn!
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #6009
Bli55
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It's a captive screw; it is not supposed to come out.

With enough force, anything is possible.
OK, I figured it out. Brute force can often solve everything, but there's also the long way...
And it doesn't break your mount!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #6010
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
OK, I figured it out. Brute force can often solve everything, but there's also the long way...
What did you do to get it out? And what are you replacing it with?

My Security screw is also not catching the thread. Garmin is sending me a replacement mount. Hope the new one is OK.
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #6011
Bli55
-

mass-klr,

I've been taking pictures so will post them when I get a replacement.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #6012
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
I want to do the same thing. I was told I have to pull the wiring harness (which I cut up) off my bike to return it with the mount to get a replacement mount with a working screw! Easier just to fix myself. I'm thinking you have to take off the 4 tiny screws and open up the back of the unit to replace the screw???
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #6013
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
In case someone is wondering how to wire you GPS to have power only when the key is turned on, I found the following to connect the GPS as a Switched accessory.

But since I only want to have one Switched accessory connection I did the following. Switched blue wire is inserted under the Running lights fuse.
Less than $20 :)

What's missing here is a small fusein the line going to the Montana after the relay
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #6014
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
I'm thinking you have to take off the 4 tiny screws and open up the back of the unit to replace the screw???
That's what I did. The stock screw is too short to grab more than a thread or two.

I disassembled the mount by removing the four tiny screws and got access to the small e-clip that holds the screw in the case when the screw is unseated. I removed the screw and replaced it with an M3 x .5 - 6mm allen head screw. The stock screw is an M3 x .5 - 5mm with the threads removed just below the screw head - where the e-clip fits.

The replacement screw I'm using is threaded all the way, so when I screw it into the case, it does not sit loosely held in by a clip. When I want to lock the release mechanism, I screw the replacement screw all the way in using an allen wrench. It is a bit more awkward to use than the stock setup, and I'm going to ask a machinist friend of mine if he'll cut away the threads like the stock screw and I'll fit an e-clip and have a setup similar to the stock screw. I won't have a torx security head, just an allen head, but the screw will be the correct length.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #6015
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Been playing with my Montana 600. Loaded the Garmin 2008 100K topo's onto it's built storage and then put NT North America 2013.20 onto a uSD card. Everything works great.

However, I thought with all the customization available on this unit that I could have the 100K Topo's active (and the NT 2013.20 disabled) when in 'Recreation' mode and the reverse when in 'Automotive' mode but it appears that the maps that are 'active' or 'disabled' are not tied to any one mode. Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-steve