Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #91
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Truimph originally made the smaller Tiger an 800cc motor to gain some torque, which is highly valued in the ADV market segment and in particular, on the off-road side of the ADV equation. The 675cc motor makes great specific horsepower, but is a high rpm, low specific torque motor. You could change the cams and re-time the motor, but the gains aren't all that great. Considering the increase in weight of the bike going from Street Triple (sport) to Tiger (ADV) trim was going to be significant, it made more sense to go to 800cc.

I think we'll see a 675cc Sprint SPORT-tourer before we see a 675cc Tiger Cub.

The potential game changer waiting in the wings is what Yamaha chooses to do with their new Triple engine(s). Personally, I believe that twins make better ADV bikes (emphasis on torque), while Triples make better street bikes (emphasis on power), but with more character that the I-4 engines. Time will tell.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #92
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Anyone know what the rev limit is on the CB500X? I rode a NC700 and the gas mileage was great (72mpg with WFO) but passing as a chore with hitting the rev limiter just when it was waking up.

Maybe I am being like Goldilocks - The CBR250 is too small (but I want one) and my 929Fireblade is too big for my commute. I like a standard or a sportbike so the "Adventure" bike seems to be the new "standard" moniker. Marketing...

If you know the rev limit, thanks for your help!
I think I read it was 8000 or 8500.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #93
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Every once in awhile I have to stop and pinch myself when I read some of the comments about the NC700X....I am left wondering if some people who say they have rode one really did.

Now a guy riding a FIrehawk929....I can understand if he thinks passing with the NC700 is slow...but you should take that in considerations when you test rode.

Vibration....what vibration...I found the S10 was way rougher all around, however I understand that engine gets smoother with time.

If there is anything that stands out about the NC 700 it is its smoothness, its quietness, its low COG, its total lack of any vibration. Even the Honda owner told me to be careful not to test ride it first as it will totally spoil me for just how smooth a bike should run. He was dead on.

I found it plenty fast, but then again, I understand it isn't a sport bike or a 1200 zipper, its a 700 tuned for torque.

It just seems to me people trying to criticize it are really reaching. It shows me Honda has again made something people just haven't experienced before...a paradigm shift for previous motorcycle riders, but not newbies.
I think a lot of them have only read one or two pages of the motorcycle book and don't know any different. Many of them probably started out on inline fours and only know rev happy motors. To someone of that experience it would feel unnatural to shift at 5 or 6000 rpm and only have 50 hp on tap. A recurring theme is having to shift just when it gets "fun". Age might have something to do with as well. Riders of a certain age came up through the small displacement classes and the baddest bike on the block had 750 cc and 67 horsepower while the rest of us made do and rode everywhere on 35 hp 350s if we were lucky. Another thought is that many young riders have never ridden anemic V twins with gobs of torque and little horsepower that are all done at 5000. I think it is great the new NC forums are filling with both new riders and experienced riders - the bike has wide appeal.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #94
mrsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
CB500X HP/torque?

I don't care about taking it off road, but really like the riding position.

I'm thinking of a 500X or 700X as a commuter. Has anyone heard reliable hp/torque numbers for the 500?

I recall reading somewhere that there wouldn't be much of a HP difference between the 500 and 700, so with the weight difference I guess torque will be meaningful.

Then again, I might get impatent and just get the 700 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I think I read it was 8000 or 8500.
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #95
Wenty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I like it..... Looks like a nice commuter ride for work.
Wenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #96
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I don't care about taking it off road, but really like the riding position.

I'm thinking of a 500X or 700X as a commuter. Has anyone heard reliable hp/torque numbers for the 500?

I recall reading somewhere that there wouldn't be much of a HP difference between the 500 and 700, so with the weight difference I guess torque will be meaningful.

Then again, I might get impatent and just get the 700 .
I've heard 30ft/lb torque. I think you'd need to spin the motor. My old CB500 had 57bhp/34ftlb torque.

I would hope that Honda built some character into the power delivery, as they did with the 700X. Then again, it might be as bland as possible to attract new riders.

It's the projected price that has me interested; base bike for around £4000 (ABS as standard), when an ABS-equipped Versys or DL650 is closer to £7000.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #97
mike884
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
SUVs are popular for their comfort and inner volume. How a typical good american of 250 pounds might be squeezed into a Civic? Into a GMC Yukon without a problem. And it still will drive to a place where no Civic would dare to.

Wanna be adventure bikes, which are considered as motorcycle SUVs, are V Stroms and Versys, at least they have some ground clearance, more than a sport bike suspension travel, and relaxed knee angle.
^^^ Not going to lie, but this is pretty much why I really like my Vstrom.
mike884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #98
ThatVoodoo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
It still isn't a dirt bike. and on some level I'm betting 90% of adventure ikes get used the same way.....so getting all worked up because Honda calls the NC or CB an Adventure bike? Is silly. It will be a fine adventure bike to lots of people. And hopefully enough people to finance some other cool bikes.
You sir, are a wise one. It's refreshing to know that some people can see the forest even when the trees are blocking their view.

I put 35,000 miles on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and other than the occasional gravel road it was all pavement... I have a proper dirtbike for that purpose. ;)

I have been away from pavement riding for awhile and this new 500 X adventure bike is really popping my pistons. It is so much nice bike for such little money! I cannot find any ride reviews yet, can't wait.
ThatVoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #99
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Every once in awhile I have to stop and pinch myself when I read some of the comments about the NC700X....I am left wondering if some people who say they have rode one really did.

Now a guy riding a FIrehawk929....I can understand if he thinks passing with the NC700 is slow...but you should take that in considerations when you test rode.

Vibration....what vibration...I found the S10 was way rougher all around, however I understand that engine gets smoother with time.

If there is anything that stands out about the NC 700 it is its smoothness, its quietness, its low COG, its total lack of any vibration. Even the Honda owner told me to be careful not to test ride it first as it will totally spoil me for just how smooth a bike should run. He was dead on.

I found it plenty fast, but then again, I understand it isn't a sport bike or a 1200 zipper, its a 700 tuned for torque.

It just seems to me people trying to criticize it are really reaching. It shows me Honda has again made something people just haven't experienced before...a paradigm shift for previous motorcycle riders, but not newbies.
Good points. The NC700 I had was a weekend rental. I put over 900 miles on it. Overall a good bike. Smooth and narrow feeling. A bit too expensive for me for what I want to use it for. If the cb500 comes in close to price as the cbr250 and has a 8500 rev limit (like the early 80s bikes I learned to ride on) I bet it would fell "right" to me and that "right" feeling is what makes folks pull the purchase trigger.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #100
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:

Question all you want, but the NC I rode did not have a "total lack of any vibration". It wasn't bad. On par with my r100, maybe a little different frequency, not enough to bother me, but it was there. I thought the Bonneville I rode was smoother.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #101
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Just read this article:
http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/11...3-honda-cb500/
Their saying there is a new Dual Sport version coming in a CB500X Honda. It is news to me so I thought I'd start a tread here. Sorry if this is old news.
holy cow if that is just a smaller ligher version of the NC700X that thing will steer and corner like its glued to the road without having to look like your getting your prostate checked.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #102
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post

It still isn't a dirt bike. and on some level I'm betting 90% of adventure ikes get used the same way.....so getting all worked up because Honda calls the NC or CB an Adventure bike? Is silly. It will be a fine adventure bike to lots of people. And hopefully enough people to finance some other cool bikes.
The problem, to me, is not that the CX500 is not a dirt bike, but the fact that most of the bikes that used to be somewhat off-road capable are getting more road biased with every generation. We've got to the point they are sharing platforms with street bikes...

Yes, it's cheaper for the manufacturers, increases margins, etc.

What happens to people that did want or need the off road capabilities? There are less options as the new bikes turn into tall road going bikes.
Süsser Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #103
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
The problem, to me, is not that the CX500 is not a dirt bike, but the fact that most of the bikes that used to be somewhat off-road capable are getting more road biased with every generation. We've got to the point they are sharing platforms with street bikes...

Yes, it's cheaper for the manufacturers, increases margins, etc.

What happens to people that did want or need the off road capabilities? There are less options as the new bikes turn into tall road going bikes.
Dude.

This bike is primarily a Euro bike, where off-roading is limited, and running costs are high (and rising), and the new A2 licence means anyone under 24 has a maximum of 47bhp to play with.

Some of the aims of the new 500 (low ownership costs, plenty of OEM add-ons, low insurance) will appeal to riders outside the target market. Maybe in emerging markets like India and Brazil these 500s will be 'premium' purchases. Maybe in the USA these bikes will be a KLR-cheap-ass alternative.

But the CB500X is in no way, shape or form an off-roader.

Tbh, the lack of a global perspective on bike ownership is getting a bit fucking irritating.

The motto of this site is Ride the World. And the world, rides.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #104
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Tbh, the lack of a global perspective on bike ownership is getting a bit fucking irritating.
'Problem is, a lot of the rest of the globe already gets several choices in motos besides 800lb barcaloungers, 100HP+ tupperbikes, 'dualsports" that can't comfortably/capably be used for dirt AND highway, or sub-600cc bikes that need to be revved to the moon to haul 2 with luggage if they don't weigh just as much as a 600cc+ bike...which they probably do anyway. Whatever happened to mfrs offering a capable noob bike that was versatile, comfortable, and didn't look like ass? Something a female noob could comfortably handle that would still handle a passenger, luggage, and the highway. These kinds of offerings are rare in our market now, but many other markets around the globe get them. We get the TU250X, some dualsports, and the Ninja 250/300, but many don't like thumpers or tupperbikes, and many of even the 250 dualsports are too tall for female noobs, especially the higher-powered ones that can actually run slab. My chunky DR650SE is actually lower. They even offer us sleeved-down 600s, instead of a bored/stroked 250 like they should have, so it gets the weight of a 600cc+ for a female noob to deal with. 'Real smart. We also get similar bikes to what other markets get, but it comes without the ABS everybody else gets offered, or it comes with drum brakes instead of the discs everybody else gets offered. WTF?! It seems like mfrs purposely try to put a fatal flaw into every sub-650cc bike they offer here, but they don't put it in many of the same models they offer elsewhere. Then they must figure "Well, it didn't sell well in the US. 'Must be because it was under 1000cc and 500lb.". No, dumbasses. It's because you couldn't offer it the same way everybody else got it, or you offered a model that definitely isn't suited for our roads. A TW200 or DR200 that can barely top 60MPH, instead of a street-legal BW350 or DR-Z250 with a bit more grunt or a 6spd tranny? Really? I'm no marketing genius, but I could have told you that they wouldn't be flying off the showroom floors over here. Look at the WRR now...A 6spd and enough power/smoothness to run slab a bit. It's a tad heavy, but I'm guessing that it's been selling better than the close-ratio DR-Z400S lately. DR650s seem harder to find around here for sale than the DR-Z too, and I don't think it's because the suspension and weight of the 650 is so much better or that it's newer and more-advanced tech.

If Yamaha shaved 20-30lb of weight, and 2-4" of seat height, off the WRR, while maintaining the same price and suspension travel, dealers wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. If they then offered a similar WR450R with around 45HP, without screwing it up with a close-ratio 4spd, a 6V electrical system, 10-mile valve checks, or some other stupid gimmick, many dualsport riders in this country would consider selling their children or kidneys or something similar...if only just for a split-second.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #105
hawknup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I can't understand why Honda is offering this bike alongside the 700x. It seems like the exact same market segment to me.
One's a V twin and the other is a parallel twin and they're 200cc apart...otherwise...?
Guess again. They're both parallel twins. The 700 is just cant over forward to near horizonal. The 700 has 270 degree timing (by twisting the crank) to aproximate 90 degree V twin firing order and exhaust note.
hawknup is offline   Reply With Quote