ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Now I'm going to have to buy a droid....great. lol
This app looks amazing, and I've been needing a new phone so this might be the time for me to do it. :)
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
This app looks amazing, and I've been needing a new phone so this might be the time for me to do it. :)
Check this guy out. Waterproof!
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Advance-U...rds=sony+st27a
craftycoder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Not sure what carrier your with but we are out in rural Oregon and use US Cellular. Not saying they are good but they have towers out in the middle of nowhere around here. For the most part, get to a high spot and we'll have something. So I ended up with the new Motorola Electrify M, so far so good! I will not be mounting my phone on the bars and for the most part it will live in a vest pocket or tank bag. It will be a back up to GPS units and good old paper maps! I think the one thing that really got me was the weather radar overlay on the Dual Sport Maps app. The one thing that I would love to add a app for now is a weather satellite image. I added the eWeather HD app but it also only has radar but tons of weather info!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

FYI: If you click on the Radar icon that displays with the weather radar in DSM, it will show you the current weather data at the radar station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Not sure what carrier your with but we are out in rural Oregon and use US Cellular. Not saying they are good but they have towers out in the middle of nowhere around here. For the most part, get to a high spot and we'll have something. So I ended up with the new Motorola Electrify M, so far so good! I will not be mounting my phone on the bars and for the most part it will live in a vest pocket or tank bag. It will be a back up to GPS units and good old paper maps! I think the one thing that really got me was the weather radar overlay on the Dual Sport Maps app. The one thing that I would love to add a app for now is a weather satellite image. I added the eWeather HD app but it also only has radar but tons of weather info!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
FYI: If you click on the Radar icon that displays with the weather radar in DSM, it will show you the current weather data at the radar station.
Thanks, I'll check it out. And by the way, great job on the Dual Sport Maps App!!! I'll be sure to let others play with this one on my phone...
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Make sure they find the website too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. And by the way, great job on the Dual Sport Maps App!!! I'll be sure to let others play with this one on my phone...
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Make sure they find the website too.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmmm......any idea if that will work good with verizon? the reviews didn't say much about it unless I missed them. Verizon is the only carrier that we've found that works really well at our house and our store. AT&T only works if you do things like stand on your head under the tree in the yard while speaking pig latin. lol
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #24
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Hmmmm......any idea if that will work good with verizon? the reviews didn't say much about it unless I missed them. Verizon is the only carrier that we've found that works really well at our house and our store. AT&T only works if you do things like stand on your head under the tree in the yard while speaking pig latin. lol
Nope, that is a GSM phone. Pretty sure it's ATT only. I don't even think it works with T-Mobile though I may be incorrect with that. If I were to get one, I wouldn't bother getting a plan with it anyway. Just cache my maps ahead of time and roll.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope, that is a GSM phone. Pretty sure it's ATT only. I don't even think it works with T-Mobile though I may be incorrect with that. If I were to get one, I wouldn't bother getting a plan with it anyway. Just cache my maps ahead of time and roll.
Hmm that might be a good idea, can it still use wifi without being activated on a plan? I know some can and some can't.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

You can be pretty confident it will work wifi only. It is sold by Sony and not a network. They have no reason to ham string it.

Quote:
Hmm that might be a good idea, can it still use wifi without being activated on a plan? I know some can and some can't.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You can be pretty confident it will work wifi only. It is sold by Sony and not a network. They have no reason to ham string it.
Good point. New item on the Christmas list! lol Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Good point. New item on the Christmas list! lol Thanks!!
Please post a review on the main app thread (in my sig). I want one too but have yet to pull the trigger...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
I thought the droids used towers to locate. If no plan, you just have a very small map?
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Nearly all android devices have GPS. So, you use satellites to locate. The app has offline maps which are free and you can load over Wifi. No monthly fee to a telco required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
I thought the droids used towers to locate. If no plan, you just have a very small map?