Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
metlcutr55 OP
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 883
i need help from a volvo expert - 2002 v70 turbo runs then doesnt

i am driving one of these wagons right now. thats what dads do, lend their perfectly good toyota to their kids, so they and the grandkids can be safe and get around, while i get to figure out whats wrong with their car.

that part is easy, it dont run well. but we cant figure out what the problem is. it has 170000 miles, has been an ok car. all of a sudden, it seems like it runs on 1 cylinder. sometimes. i hate that. the sometimes part.

when it runs good it runs good. ive had it 2 days, but the kids have been dealing with this same issue for a couple weeks. we put the code reader on it, said o2 and cat not ready for inspection, but threw no other codes. i dont know which o2, its a cheap reader. im a klr guy. thus the toyota.

ran great last 3 days ive had it in the am headed to work. 28 deg, 8 mile ride. no issues. no warning lights. get out of work 10 hrs later, 40 deg, start car, bub...bub...bub...bub...bub idle. urgent maint light is on also service light. car shakes a lil. big cloud of white vapor out the tailpipe, but i jumped out and sniffed, cant smell antifreeze or gas. back in the car, push on the gas. slowly revs up to 1800 thats it. release. continue to do the same, after 5-8 + minutes of that, revs get up above 2000. tried to drive off, went about 1/4 mile, into a parking lot, by the time i got there, the car would rev 2500, but no power. vapor goes away after a couple of minutes when temp begins to climb. temp only climbs to normal after a while, not above.

turn off. turn on. rev to 2500. repeat x 10. no good. then next time voila. urgent maint message remains on, service light remains on, but car runs fine. takes me all the way home no prob. all this ffn around takes about 15 minutes, i havent yet tried to start it and let it idle 15 minutes to see if it goes away. as rough as it idles, id guess it would stall, maybe not.

the same 3 days in a row. sport car buff at work with big bux code reader says ill get you an answer right now. car runs same like shit. throws no codes. he's mystified. the o2 and cat codes disappeared when we disconnected the battery early on a week ago, not back yet, but just 26 miles on her. cat dont seem plugged, when it runs good it runs good.

im buffaloed. looked on the net, only the electronic throttle module popped up, but not quite the right symptoms as the descriptions. seems like it runs on 1 cyl, maybe 2 when its bad, and is smooth and powerful when its not.

i bet tomorrow am, the urgent message displays again, the car starts fine, the urgent messsage disappears and the 120 miles to empty tank message displays, all is good until i get out of work again and the cycle repeats. i dont mind fixing problems, but i dont want to take it to the dealer, car just isnt that valuable. any help to be had here?

thanks
ken

I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote